Senton Senton 4x4 Mega ESC/Motor issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajegidi

ArrmaForum Fan
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega 2WD
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Outcast 6s
  6. Outcast 8s
  7. Senton Mega
  8. Infraction 4x4
Purchased a used Senton 4x4 mega (all stock, no upgrades) for my son, tested it out in a parking lot for a minute when I purchased it, everything seemed to work fine for the test drive. When i got it home and drove it around the driveway it started to lose throttle and reverse after about 2 minutes of moderate running. Still have steering controls, and if i turn off the car and the remote and turn it back on, ill get another 1.5-2 minutes of run time. Motor and ESC are NOT hot to the touch. Battery voltages are good, i have 4 different batteries, with all the same result. Esc is the stock Arrma 390288, motor is Mega 550 brushed 12T. Once the throttle/reverse stop working, the ESC has a steady red blink. ESC is set to the correct battery settings.

SO my questions are...

-Is there any way test this esc?
-Could this be a TX/RX issue?
-Is it better to upgrade the system? (my son is not even 3 yet, so going fast isn't a requirement, looking for more durability and reliability)
-What's the best option for replacement? Not looking to spend a lot on this.

Purchased a used Senton 4x4 mega (all stock, no upgrades) for my son, tested it out in a parking lot for a minute when I purchased it, everything seemed to work fine for the test drive. When i got it home and drove it around the driveway it started to lose throttle and reverse after about 2 minutes of moderate running. Still have steering controls, and if i turn off the car and the remote and turn it back on, ill get another 1.5-2 minutes of run time. Motor and ESC are NOT hot to the touch. Battery voltages are good, i have 4 different batteries, with all the same result. Esc is the stock Arrma 390288, motor is Mega 550 brushed 12T. Once the throttle/reverse stop working, the ESC has a steady red blink. ESC is set to the correct battery settings.

SO my questions are...

-Is it better to upgrade the system? (my son is not even 3 yet, so going fast isn't a requirement, looking for more durability and reliability)
Most likely the motor needs to be replaced. The brushes are shot in the motor. $20 replacement. Good for about 20 2s lipo runs.

Last edited:
Most likely the motor needs to be replaced. The brushes or shot in the motor. $20 replacement. Good for about 20 2s lipo runs.
Anyway to test it, even though its intermittently working?

SO my questions are...

Holmes Hobby motors are pretty good IMO higher quality......basic motors are higher quality than rtr stock and priced right , even though the highest end motors are more $$$$, but are more for competition..... there are other brands as well..... not sure about testing......

Yeah start with cleaning out the motor with an Electrical contact spray. Automotive stores have this. CRC brand is common. Flush it out, till it is clean. You need this spray anyway for any RC motors and RC'ing.
Also, if running Nim packs, very well could just be that. Even though you see some voltages. Nim packs die out faster as they get old and not maintained well enough. You might consider a 2s lipo pack for your Brushed ESC setup as one option. Brushed mega motors don't last long at all, especially if never maintained frequently. Brushed replacement motors are cheap. You generally replace them way more often than Brushless ones. Is what it is.
Yeah Holmes Hobbies has the good brushed motors for sure. Something to consider. I run them in my Brushed Crawlers. I am familair with brushed motors from RC'ing at the track back in the '80's. Modified motors and all.
Going to a BLX setup, (ESC and motor, and 2s Lipo packs) might be the better option. But will cost considerable to upgrade all including lipos.
If for your young son, then maybe staying brushed is best. IDK. Your call there. But you have options down the road as you and your son get into RC more.
Just replace the motors as need. Less so if you do Spray the motor out and a put a drop of oil on each bushing frequently. You will get way more life out of the motor. The brushes in the motor wear out fast and what bricks these ultimately. The brush dust also fouls them out and they run hotter if not maintained with Elect. Contact spray and some oil on the 2 bushings. Like every 5 or 6 runs at least. Your mileage will vary.

Edited.

Last edited:
Appreciate the tips! Ill start with cleaning the motor some more then spray it and see how that goes.

Appreciate the tips! Ill start with cleaning the motor some more then spray it and see how that goes.

Yep - good idea to start simple ..... and least $$ for now.... .see how it goes.... for a not yet 3 year old.....see how it goes

What kind of batteries are you using, LiPo‘s or NiMH? If you’re using NiMH’s and the ESC is set for LiPo LVC (low voltage cut off) that can cause it.
Here is the link to your manual and a couple of things in there I saw.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/on/demandw...dwe5a27ae9/Manuals/ARA4203V3-manual-multi.pdf
IMG_2747.jpeg

IMG_2746.jpeg

Last edited:
What kind of batteries are you using, LiPo‘s or NiMH? If you’re using NiMH’s and the ESC is set for LiPo LVC (low voltage cut off) that can cause it. Pull up the manual for your truck online and see what the steady red blinking light on the ESC means.
Running NiMH, esc is set accordingly. Only info in the manual about lights on the esc ;

LED off: Neutral throttle
LED blinking slowly: Partial Forward/Reverse/Brake
LED solidly on: Full Forward/Reverse/Brake

I tried to troubleshoot the motor by unplugging one of the wires after the the throttle/reverse went out. And the steady blinking (LED off) went away once unplugged.

Yeah sounds like a shorted out or fouled out motor. Maybe worn or dirty. Clean it out and put a drop of oil on the bushings. Give that try first.
Not sure how used it was prior to buying it.

I believe this is your 12T stock Arrma Mega motor.

But any 550 sized 12 turn wound brushed motor will work.

You also can use other lower priced motors available from AMZ and elsewhere etc. Any brand 550 12T would fit and be comparable running Nimplacks , if not better than the stock motor. Unfortunatey JennysRC.com doesn't sell any of the Arrma Mega line. But in general JennysRC is the cheapest way for most other parts.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product/mega-550-12t-brushed-motor/ARAG1005.html

https://www.amazon.com/INJORA-Brushed-Short-Course-Traxxas-HuanQi/dp/B08BF6ZGG1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=4T0TSJTVN3R5&keywords=550+brush+motor&qid=1695229192&sprefix=550+brushe+motor,aps,74&sr=8-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Globact-Brushed-Electric-Course-Traxxas/dp/B08F2ML18V/ref=sxin_16_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.1c86ab1a-a73c-4131-85f1-15bd92ae152d:amzn1.sym.1c86ab1a-a73c-4131-85f1-15bd92ae152d&crid=4T0TSJTVN3R5&cv_ct_cx=550+brush+motor&keywords=550+brush+motor&pd_rd_i=B08F2ML18V&pd_rd_r=47b30f07-28f1-4aea-b8af-08aee4868955&pd_rd_w=8VQRP&pd_rd_wg=ihz2H&pf_rd_p=1c86ab1a-a73c-4131-85f1-15bd92ae152d&pf_rd_r=2N3DKGKZ1MKCQMJ1BYRN&qid=1695229235&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sprefix=550+brushe+motor,aps,74&sr=1-1-364cf978-ce2a-480a-9bb0-bdb96faa0f61-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/brushed-motors/trailmaster-series/trailmaster-sport-550-12t.html

You have choices here.
Just make sure to rule out your motor as the issue first. Most common. A cleaning out and drop of oil on the bushings first to see if you notice any change.
Hopefully it is not the ESC. Process of elimination to determine.
:cool:

Last edited:
I blieve this is your 12T stock Arrma Mega motor.

You also can use other lower priced motors available from AMZ and elsewhere etc. Any brand 550 12T would fit and be comparable running Nimplacks , if not better than the stock motor. Unfortunatey JennysRC.com doesn't sell any of the Arrma Mega line. But in general JennysRC is the cheapest way for most other parts.

https://www.amazon.com/INJORA-Brushed-Short-Course-Traxxas-HuanQi/dp/B08BF6ZGG1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=4T0TSJTVN3R5&keywords=550+brush+motor&qid=1695229192&sprefix=550+brushe+motor,aps,74&sr=8-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Globact-Brushed-Electric-Course-Traxxas/dp/B08F2ML18V/ref=sxin_16_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.1c86ab1a-a73c-4131-85f1-15bd92ae152d:amzn1.sym.1c86ab1a-a73c-4131-85f1-15bd92ae152d&crid=4T0TSJTVN3R5&cv_ct_cx=550+brush+motor&keywords=550+brush+motor&pd_rd_i=B08F2ML18V&pd_rd_r=47b30f07-28f1-4aea-b8af-08aee4868955&pd_rd_w=8VQRP&pd_rd_wg=ihz2H&pf_rd_p=1c86ab1a-a73c-4131-85f1-15bd92ae152d&pf_rd_r=2N3DKGKZ1MKCQMJ1BYRN&qid=1695229235&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sprefix=550+brushe+motor,aps,74&sr=1-1-364cf978-ce2a-480a-9bb0-bdb96faa0f61-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1

You have choices here.
Just make sure to rule out your motor as the issue first. Most common. A cleaning out and drop of oil on the bushings first to see if you notice any change.
Thank you sir, yea i checked JRC, then considered just upgrading to brushless esc/motor. But think its unnecessary right now for my son. He has the granite and infraction, so there's no big rush to get it up and running. Ill clean the motor up, spray/oil it and go from there. The guy i bought it from said it has been sitting in his closet for over a year, so I'm sure there's some dust in there. I blew it all out yesterday but could have gone more in depth, didn't think it was needed at the time.

I believe this is your 12T stock Arrma Mega motor.

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/brushed-motors/trailmaster-series/trailmaster-sport-550-12t.html

You have choices here.
So I cleaned the motor out, sprayed it, oiled it. No change, still doing the same thing. So I went and got a new motor from a local hobby shop, swapped it and still the same result. Batteries are all good. Gotta be the esc at this point?

So I cleaned the motor out, sprayed it, oiled it. No change, still doing the same thing. So I went and got a new motor from a local hobby shop, swapped it and still the same result. Batteries are all good. Gotta be the esc at this point?
That sucks!! Yea esc must be tired. Look into a hobbywing brushed esc.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...Fj14My7jSaLrsDHVzCwt0HP8nEkNtsSIaAq-iEALw_wcB

Part of me wants to just go brushless. The other part of me thinks I should throw a stock esc in it, so it’s all good, sell it and buy a senton 3s.

+1
That's one other option.
If you can buy a 3s Senton and run like @Just a hobby stated above , you will have that Senton Mega for many backup parts. Which kind of future proofs your wallet a bit in the long run.
HW does have a decent Brushed ESC. The Mega ESC is not all that. They tend to fail early on. You are not alone. Its just strange that when you test run it before buying, it did work. Then after it failed. The Mega ESC's are that bad IMHO. Just based on other's experiences here on AF.
Also, Buying a New 3s Senton, it will come with Arrma's 2 year Warranty with a valid receipt. That has some value there, especially with the electrical stuff, which usually fail. Your used Mega doesn't have that warranty obviously . And it might not be $realistic$ to upgrade it much. But it would make a great parts donor.(y)
You have options here.
So this is your call.
The main objective is to keep your son Rolling.(y)
Good luck.:cool:

Last edited:
What SrC said, keep for parts! Replacement arms and axles for on the spot repair while your out with your son bashing. 10 minute down time and back running.

It sounds as if your ESC may be cutting out due to overheating. A common cause is binding somewhere in the drivetrain. Since this was used thoroughly check that there is no binding in the drivetrain. Remove the center drive shaft and check that the front wheels and back wheels spin easy when turned by hand. Remove the wheels and make sure nothing is wrapped up in any axles. A bad wheel bearing could cause this friction. When the car cuts out after the 2 minutes, check the temp of the esc. It should only be warm to the touch, if crazy hot something somewhere is binding.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back