Grom Red is faster?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Saw the release and had to snag one when I saw it at my local Hobbytown. Very snappy and fun. Brushless conversion and supporting mods on the way…
IMG_0623.jpeg

Intended as a replacement for my son’s 3S Dromida 4.18 BL that we play around no prep and have reached the limits of durability and parts availability.

IMG_0658.jpeg

👍 What motor and esc you have on the way?
Hobbywing 10BL60 & XERun 2848.
I did a lot of digging and really liked @RCbob’s build so I went the same route but with 4000kv.

I considered swapping the Dromida setup (16BL30 w stock motor) or buying Firma 2 in 1 but it’s limited to 2S and also looked at the Castle Micro X2. Ultimately decided on HW for budget performance factor.

Hobbywing 10BL60 & XERun 2848.
I did a lot of digging and really liked @RCbob’s build so I went the same route but with 4000kv.

I considered swapping the Dromida setup (16BL30 w stock motor) or buying Firma 2 in 1 but it’s limited to 2S and also looked at the Castle Micro X2. Ultimately decided on HW for budget performance factor.
I just checked out Bobs build. Thanks, and yes red is pretty fast. Enoy your build.

Last edited:
Welp…tore up the rear diff yesterday after a weekend full of sending it on the fly wheels ramp in the backyard. Had a blast ripping it with our LMT Mini Gravedigger back there. Good thing I already ordered the metal diffs and they’ll be here Thursday.

Diffs upgraded and brushless swap complete.
IMG_0719.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

Was a pretty tight fit for the body to clip correctly until I added washers under the body clip mechanisms.

IMG_0733.jpeg

Running the LC racing 19T pinion and it’s pretty snappy so far. Got it going with a Tactic radio I had around. I have a DX3 Tx & SR6200A Rx coming so we can use the AVC to help keep it going straight. Will have to see what it will do today.

Looks great. I have a hard time with tight places.

Was only able to run in the backyard today, so no GNSS data yet. But the car is on the verge of being severely overpowered lol. With the 19T pinion and stock 2s pack, it has traction issues in the grass at anything over 3/4 throttle and on a 3S 1300mah Fly pack it starts around 1/2 throttle. It will do a standing backflip on carpet with the stock 2S pack. Can’t wait to see how it does on asphalt.

Are you running a fan in your setup? I basically just ordered everything you mentioned for parts. :ROFLMAO:

Are you running a fan in your setup? I basically just ordered everything you mentioned for parts. :ROFLMAO:
No fan or heatsink right now, but I'm keeping a close eye on temps. So far in the backyard bashing with 19T pinion it has stayed well under the recommended temps from Hobbywing with a max of 135F from the ESC and 145F on the motor. HW claims 15% more power and 10-20C cooler run temps on the motor and so far it seems like its meeting the claims. It definitely runs cooler than the brushed motor was in the same running conditions.

For anyone else interested, here's the list of parts & numbers of the build: (the 20-22T pinions are for future options)
Hobbywing 10BL60 SD ESC: 30108000
Hobbywing XERun 2848 4000kv: 30401321
LC Racing 0.5 mod 3.175mm 19T: L6127
LC Racing 0.5 mod 3.175mm 20T L6144
LC Racing 0.5 mod 3.175mm 21T L6145
LC Racing 0.5 mod 3.175mm 22T L6179
Arrma steel upgrade diffs ARA311193
Arrma motor mount set ARA320744

Today the car chewed up and spit out the CVD pin on the right front. I managed to find the right size 1.5mm drill and cut it down to make it work until I can get the rebuild kit with proper pins.

Anybody running aftermarket axles/CVDs they can recommend? I see available options from Hot Racing, GPM, and KYX. I know there's an Arrma set but they look to be backordered everywhere.

Finally had a chance to get out with the DX3 & SR6200A and the AVC works great.
IMG_0793.jpeg

Top speeds with stock tires and 19T pinion were 32mph on 2S & 44mph on 3S.
IMG_1015.png

IMG_1018.png

It definitely can take more gear so we’ll be going up in pinion for the next time out. We did get some 132ft hits in and it’s already running better times than our Dromida 4.18BL, but needs a wheelie bar before we can really hammer it.
IMG_1051.jpeg

Back