Outcast Question. Why is the O4s center diff different from the 6s BLX?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Outcast 8s
Opened up the trusty O4S to thicken the diff lube, I found a set of gears I wasn’t use to seeing.

Is this a better/newer set up. Only good for lightweight rigs?

What’s the so what with this diff configuration?

Asking for a friend.

Well the diff outdrive system is so much different, along with gear pitch, I also feel like a 6s center diff might be too big to fit.

Well the diff outdrive system is so much different, along with gear pitch, I also feel like a 6s center diff might be too big to fit.
Actually the 4s diffs are bigger than the 6s ones.
1712765495682.png
1712765460696.png

Opened up the trusty O4S to thicken the diff lube, I found a set of gears I wasn’t use to seeing.

Is this a better/newer set up. Only good for lightweight rigs?

What’s the so what with this diff configuration?

Asking for a friend.

The 4s diff has planetary gears vice the sun and spider gears in the 6s diffs. I've seen planetary gears in 3s diffs before - my CEN Racing F450 has planetary gears in the diffs. From my very limited understanding, RC diffs with planetary gears are used mostly in RC vehicles that won't experience the forces of a 6s system.

The 4s rigs have a planetary diff, which is pretty strong, but not strong enough for a 6s rig.

What I’m driving at is why are the planetary gears in a different configuration than most others? Does it make it more reliable? Stronger??

Pros and cons of this planetary gear placement.

I think it’s easier to get the mesh right/less critical the teeth are perfect as it doesn’t have the 90 degree turn the spider gears have.

Cons are it’s more tedious to service.

The 4s diff has planetary gears vice the sun and spider gears in the 6s diffs. I've seen planetary gears in 3s diffs before - my CEN Racing F450 has planetary gears in the diffs. From my very limited understanding, RC diffs with planetary gears are used mostly in RC vehicles that won't experience the forces of a 6s system.
I think this might be incorrect based off the fact that MCD also uses planetary diffs in their expensive ass 1/5th scale rigs at the cheapest tier and they handle big bore engines and 12s brushless power no problem.

I do think arrma is just being cheap af though.

They also have completely different outside carrier bearings. I have both types diffs. Bunch of 6s. But I fixed my Senton w/ a 4s gearbox & fluid diff.

Last edited:
I think this might be incorrect based off the fact that MCD also uses planetary diffs in their expensive ass 1/5th scale rigs at the cheapest tier and they handle big bore engines and 12s brushless power no problem.

I do think arrma is just being cheap af though.
Thanks for clarifying: as I said, I have limited experience, and no experience with 1/5 vehicles.

Back