Proud Dad But With A Dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.Mango

🤪I swear the voices are real!🤪
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
So super proud of my son (7) who is in the 2nd grade and testing at 4-5 grade levels.
He loves school but complains that the teacher treats him "like a little kid" with the type of work that she gives him.
I try to explain that she is giving him the same work as the rest of the class, which is his grade-level work, but he thinks otherwise.
He feels she could give him harder work, but the truth is that her hands are tied, and she can't just give him different work than the rest of the class.
He may be at a 4-5 grade level with his smarts, but he is at the right level socially for the 2nd grade, so moving up grades is a big NO NO for us.

The level of intellect on this forum allows me to assume that some of you skipped grades as a child.
I would love to hear everyone's input pros/cons of the situation we're in or just any advice you may have.

Is there anything he can do online? Like something that would allow him to continue with the current work but do the harder stuff on the side.

That's awesome! My kids were the same way. (not me though-lol). They never brought up any issues though, so it wasn't a consideration moving them up.

I would challenge him at home with some tougher work assignments. Nothing crazy, but maybe some math/language arts activity pages and the such. It gets harder the higher grade levels they go, so the curriculum should catch up to him.

In the mean time, challenge him to help others that may be struggling in his class. This will teach him training skills amoungst other things.

Good luck!

@N.Mango I would encourage you to talk with the teacher and find out what other programs the school can offer. In many cases, they may have advanced placement opportunities for your child.

The reason I know is because my wife and I have been very lucky in this area as both our son and daughter have excelled greatly, so far, compared to others in their grades (my son is in 4th grade and my daughter is in 3rd). Both are great with math and very avid readers. Our school system has a "gifted and talented" program that pulls kids out of for 1 - 1.5 hours of their normal class, twice a week to work on more challenging work.

Our school system here actually has an advanced placement program that puts similar types of kids in a different school and in their own group. So surrounded by other students who are equally as talented. They start this as an option in 4th grade and then again in middle school. My son scored plenty high enough in reading, but missed the chance to join the program due to his math school - it was 2 points below.

There are other programs our school system offers too, such as an arts program (typically musical instruments), an emerson program (where students learn and speak another language all day at school), and a few others. I've lived in this town for a long while and never heard of these until the last few years. So I mention it to you so you can dig into what your system offers.

So check with the school, if they don't offer it directly I'd be surprised if your school system didn't offer something for more gifted students.

So super proud of my son (7) who is in the 2nd grade and testing at 4-5 grade levels.
He loves school but complains that the teacher treats him "like a little kid" with the type of work that she gives him.
I try to explain that she is giving him the same work as the rest of the class, which is his grade-level work, but he thinks otherwise.
He feels she could give him harder work, but the truth is that her hands are tied, and she can't just give him different work than the rest of the class.
He may be at a 4-5 grade level with his smarts, but he is at the right level socially for the 2nd grade, so moving up grades is a big NO NO for us.

The level of intellect on this forum allows me to assume that some of you skipped grades as a child.
I would love to hear everyone's input pros/cons of the situation we're in or just any advice you may have.
I was homeschooled till last year, dropped into my public school in 10th grade. Tbh, I did jack all for content while homeschooled except for basic algebra and get pretty good grades while being in a few honors classes. So, I would suggest, don’t take school super serious and just have fun while you are young.

Never skipped grades but maybe you could create challenges for him at home? I'm sure you could find something good online. 😊

Is there anything he can do online? Like something that would allow him to continue with the current work but do the harder stuff on the side.
The one thing his teacher can and does do is this online thing that doesn't have restrictions. Any free time he has in class she has him do this online thing that lets him keep progressing without stopping at any particular level.
As far as at home, we do have him do some work online and we also just printout stuff we find or that his teacher recommends but at the same time we don't want to give him too much more than he already has as he is typical in the sense that homework sucks. hahaha
I really wish moving him up was an option as I'm worried he'll start to dumb it down to fit in with his peers. He already expresses how the other kids don't understand him or are not interested in some of the things that interests him.

That's excellent!
You should be very proud! 👍

Look to see if there are special programs for gifted/high achievers in your school district.
They are designed just for students like your son. Who will otherwise get bored with the base level course work in class...

Usually hand picked by teachers (who sees the student who needs for above and beyond 'normal' curriculums)..
But, sometimes parents can submit the application on their kid's behalf.
Just note that there will be a testing/vetting process for the child to be accepted into such programs.

Both our girls (9 , 6) are in such programs.
And it helps them greatly by providing enhanced academic training above their core subject matter. They're given more indepth study in math, science, history.
Which challenges and keeps them more engaged.
They are pulled out of their normal classes and brought to another teacher who can provide more individual attention -in a small group (<10) made up of other talented students.
Once or two a week depending on grade.

@N.Mango I would encourage you to talk with the teacher and find out what other programs the school can offer. In many cases, they may have advanced placement opportunities for your child.

The reason I know is because my wife and I have been very lucky in this area as both our son and daughter have excelled greatly, so far, compared to others in their grades (my son is in 4th grade and my daughter is in 3rd). Both are great with math and very avid readers. Our school system has a "gifted and talented" program that pulls kids out of for 1 - 1.5 hours of their normal class, twice a week to work on more challenging work.

Our school system here actually has an advanced placement program that puts similar types of kids in a different school and in their own group. So surrounded by other students who are equally as talented. They start this as an option in 4th grade and then again in middle school. My son scored plenty high enough in reading, but missed the chance to join the program due to his math school - it was 2 points below.

There are other programs our school system offers too, such as an arts program (typically musical instruments), an emerson program (where students learn and speak another language all day at school), and a few others. I've lived in this town for a long while and never heard of these until the last few years. So I mention it to you so you can dig into what your system offers.

So check with the school, if they don't offer it directly I'd be surprised if your school system didn't offer something for more gifted students.
Thanks @WoodiE
I believe any advanced placement classes arent available for his grade level. I will however look into ANY type of programs for him either more challenging class work or something to at least keep his mind occupied so as to not get bored and be able to learn new things.
He took it upon himself to start learning spanish online so maybe a language class like you said would be good:unsure:

Dropped out of school at 17 years old. My dad was a machinist and gave me a week to find a job. A week later, he asked if I had found a job to which I replied “no”. To which he replied, “get dressed. No son of mine is going to be a bum!”

I worked as a machinist with him for 18 or so years. Went back to school to get my HS diploma at 32 years old. Became a certified machinist at 33 (I breezed through the course in 2 months rather than 1.5 years). Then got into aviation industry.

I despised going to school as a kid. I only appreciated getting an education nearly 20 years later. Better late than never.

That's excellent!
You should be very proud! 👍

Look to see if there are special programs for gifted/high achievers in your school district.
They are designed just for students like your son. Who will otherwise get bored with the base level course work in class...

Usually hand picked by teachers (who sees the student who needs for above and beyond 'normal' curriculums)..
But, sometimes parents can submit the application on their kid's behalf.
Just note that there will be a testing/vetting process for the child to be accepted into such programs.

Both our girls (9 , 6) are in such programs.
And it helps them greatly by providing enhanced academic training above their core subject matter. They're given more indepth study in math, science, history.
Which challenges and keeps them more engaged.
They are pulled out of their normal classes and brought to another teacher who can provide more individual attention -in a small group (<10) made up of other talented students.
Once or two a week depending on grade.
No programs are offered for 2nd graders but I will have to look deeper and see what is offered to help keep him interested and challenged.
Good to hear from people who has children in the same type of situation.
I wish hawaii had a better school system

No programs are offered for 2nd graders but I will have to look deeper and see what is offered to help keep him interested and challenged.
Good to hear from people who has children in the same type of situation.
I wish hawaii had a better school system

Definitely look around and see..
Those programs are called by different names.

We were very lucky to have this program - PACE - offered at our school district.
They start as early as Kindergarten.

Both our girls were chosen and got accepted from their kinder grade.

Last edited:
Definitely look around and see..
Those programs are called by different names.

We were very lucky to have this program - PACE - offered at our school district.
They starts at early as Kindergarten.

Both our girls were chosen and got accepted from their kinder grade.
Thats really awesome that you guys have those types of programs.
I will definitely dig deeper and see whats available here.
Thanks @Tex Koder

Some schools have "Gifted and Talented" programs that help kids explore beyond their peers without having to skip grades. Not sure how much would be available for someone so young, though.

Maybe talk to the school counselor about it.

I would also suggest you look into some online STEAM-related programs like-

1. Scratch (MIT Coding software for kids)
2. Dreambox (Reading and Math)
3. Prodigy Game (Math thru gaming..)
4. TinkerCAD (3D Design)
5. TypeDojo (keyboard training)

Something to keep your son motivated, engaged & Challenged.

Last edited:
Some schools have "Gifted and Talented" programs that help kids explore beyond their peers without having to skip grades. Not sure how much would be available for someone so young, though.

Maybe talk to the school counselor about it.
So far, you're right....no program that I know of for that age range.
I would also suggest you look into some online STEAM-related programs like-

1. Scratch (MIT Coding software for kids)
2. Dreambox (Reading and Math)
3. Prodigy Game (Math thru gaming..)

Something to keep your son motivated, engaged & Challenged.
He has been doing Prodigy at home, but I'll look into the others that you mentioned. Thanks man!

So far, you're right....no program that I know of for that age range.

Kinda figured. I'd talk to the school counselor if you haven't yet. In my schools they had a role in identifying people for these types of programs and providing guidance.

Congrats on the smart kids! It sure is a special feeling.

A couple perspectives:

I personally excelled in school as a kid and spent a lot of time with older kids in their classes. My schools had separate advanced math classes for gifted kids, and I would participate in those classes but several years up, instead of the advanced classes for my age. As a 6th grader I was invited to begin curriculum in college (University of Minnesota).

It all got pretty overwhelming and I started to push back. I enjoyed the challenging material, but I didn’t want to be different. I didn’t want to spend more time doing homework. I didn’t want to spend time away from my friends. I refused to continue down that path and went back to (mostly) normal stuff. I’m glad my parents supported my choices on both sides and I would encourage you to have open conversations with your kids about it (which I’m sure you already are).

Now my 1st grader is showing some of the same skills. I would estimate his math skills to be at least 5th grade level. However, his social skills are lagging behind his age. So, like you, we are struggling with how to challenge him in some ways but not impede natural learning in others.

Tell him to ask the teacher for the curriculum for the day, teach it, and:

Elon-musk-mic-drop GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Now my 1st grader is showing some of the same skills. I would estimate his math skills to be at least 5th grade level. However, his social skills are lagging behind his age. So, like you, we are struggling with how to challenge him in some ways but not impede natural learning in others.
Exactly! Being the case if no programs are available to help him continue his progress without messing with his social learning then we'll just have to find ways on our own to help him stay on his game while still being just your typical 2nd grader.
With just this post I got some great starting points from you all and will be doing my research.
Thank you!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back