Nitro to lipo conversion… esc won’t turn on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny1202

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Outcast 4s
I woke up this morning with the bright idea of converting my old thunder tiger eb4 to brushless using all the parts off my Kraton 4s.

The conversion went sweet (minus a miss matched pinion) but when I plugged the battery in to test the servo it won’t turn on.. I get nothing at all.

Has fatigue got the better of me and making me miss something obvious? I just thought I’d reach out for a bit of help.

here’s some pics. Thanks in advance.

IMG_8275.jpeg

IMG_8276.jpeg

IMG_8277.jpeg

IMG_8278.jpeg

IMG_8279.jpeg

IMG_8280.jpeg

IMG_8281.jpeg

IMG_8282.jpeg

Check the St/Th on the controller and also make sure the wiring going to the receiver is in the correct channel and plug orientation ( Black wire ) towards the outside of the receiver.

Check the St/Th on the controller and also make sure the wiring going to the receiver is in the correct channel and plug orientation ( Black wire ) towards the outside of the receiver.
Yeah I’ve done all that and the black wire is to the out side as you say. I don’t get it.. everything is exactly the same bar the servo but even if I’ve done a school boy error I’d still expect the esc to at least turn?

What is the steering servo voltage compared to BEC output of the ESC? Try turning it on with steering servo unplugged.

What is the steering servo voltage compared to BEC output of the ESC? Try turning it on with steering servo unplugged.
Im not too sure of the bec but I’ve just swapped the servo to the spectrum one and still nothing

Here’s some more pics, it looks a bit messy but you can get the jist, I’ve kept the spectrum servo in it’s original place even though I won’t use it just for ease of mounting the esc and keeping the receiver nicely tucked away.

Attachments

• IMG_8287.jpeg
    IMG_8287.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8286.jpeg
    IMG_8286.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8285.jpeg
    IMG_8285.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Im not too sure of the bec but I’ve just swapped the servo to the spectrum one and still nothing
Strange problem. Gotta troubleshoot from the beginning;
1) lipo charged? try another battery
2) check all connections..remove and reattach
3) transmitter and received binding...check
4) initially, try without attaching steering servo to receiver

Well all my batteries are in storage mode, I’m reluctant to charge one because I don’t want to discharge it after. All three power up my outcast. I might try the outcast esc on it to see what happens

It works with the outcast esc.. is there anyway I could have killed the Kraton esc?

Last edited:
If in doubt, start from scratch.

The ESC doesn't even turn on i.e. no LED?

1. Disconnect receiver - ESC cable, also the ESC fan
Try again, still nothing?
2. Disconnect motor ( even though this shouldn't do anything)
If still nothing:
2. Only real item that could do this is the wiring going from battery to ESC incl. that jumper plug or the ESC itself.

If it came to life, plug in 1 thing at a time until it stops working and take it from there.

To be honest I had a problem with this esc in the past but I thought it was fixed. I think it’s a dodgy one. The outcast esc works ok on it it. So it must be toast

Back