My Spektrum DX5C mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ suchtragedy
Have you had a chance to do range testing? Im also interested in buying a set of your fan/booster covers. I installed an antenna and Im gonna try some tests this weekend to see if I get a range increase without the booster.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 50
@ suchtragedy
Have you had a chance to do range testing? Im also interested in buying a set of your fan/booster covers. I installed an antenna and Im gonna try some tests this weekend to see if I get a range increase without the booster.
View attachment 105985
I haven't done a full blown range test just because it gets too far away and I can't really see the car anymore, I need a second person or maybe set it up so I can like watch on video remotely wheels up and see how far away I can get from it before it stops responding or something, but that requires me to actually do some work to set that up and actually making it a priority to actually do it haha.

I haven't published the range booster housing but I can share the file with you so you can find a way to get it printed yourself. However I designed it around the specific no name booster I bought so I couldn't guarantee it would work with whatever you buy. And unfortunately I am not really looking to sell/make prints for profit. I get contacted all the time for this but my spare time is limited and it's usually more work for me than it's worth in the end. Plus I only have one printer and usually I have several of my own projects in line and it would set me back on those to make commission prints for people.

@suchtragedy Just wanted to point out that I asked about this on another site, and got a response from AndyKunz, who is a Sr Firmware Engineer at Spektrum. He says that the second antenna port is not actually enabled.

He also mentions that running without the primary antenna can damage the internal amplifier (though since the second port is not enabled, I assume it doesn't hurt anything).

My best guess is that if your setup actually does improve range, then it would be likely happenstance (stray waves, etc), as opposed to actual antenna connections.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3844709-Spektrum-empty-antenna-ports

Hi everyone , I think the increase in voltage will give you more range because the transmitter getting 7.4v instead of 6v. Those range boosters work the same way more voltage further distance.

Hi everyone , I think the increase in voltage will give you more range because the transmitter getting 7.4v instead of 6v. Those range boosters work the same way more voltage further distance.
Not if it's like the older spektrums that had a voltage regulator in them before the main board that limited input to like 6V. I've had mine apart, but didn't look at it that hard... I was adding a plug so I could charge a 2S lipo without taking the pack out. lol!

I'm 99% sure I could model and make a 3D printed replacement if you have no luck finding the button. I would just have to take mine apart again to remove the button so I could model it lol
Holy ancient thread resurrection Batman! 😂 Also had a “sticky” on-off switch & have just removed it. Is there supposed to be a spring or does the plastic blade that contacts the micro-switch fail / snap off over time? Mine just about operated but was stuck fully depressed & required “persuasion” to operate. Micro switch appears to operate fine - it just was too far away from the blade for the button to operate it properly.

Holy ancient thread resurrection Batman! 😂 Also had a “sticky” on-off switch & have just removed it. Is there supposed to be a spring or does the plastic blade that contacts the micro-switch fail / snap off over time? Mine just about operated but was stuck fully depressed & required “persuasion” to operate. Micro switch appears to operate fine - it just was too far away from the blade for the button to operate it properly.
I honestly don't remember if there was a spring, if there was one mine is probably long long gone.

@slick2500 3D printed replacement successful. Took a few tires to dial it in but it works great. I'm going to try to print one in Orange to match the Spektrum color scheme and try out on my own radio.

PM me and we can figure out how to get a couple to you. Since they are so small I can just send them to you in a letter sized envelope for the cost of a stamp.

Side by side with OEM button:
View attachment 87403

Update: Orange button came out well.
View attachment 87414
Mine is also broken was wondering if you would be willing to send me the file so I can print one myself? Thanks

Just randomly stumbled upon this thread. I have been using a 2s as well in my DX5C and have never found the end of it's range. I use a 2s 1500mah LiIon instead of lipo charged to 4.1v per cell. Screen shows 8.2v. I have 3 LiIon batteries that came in 1/16 cars that fit perfectly. Lighter and better balanced in the hand with the 2s vs 4 AA. LiIon also can stay off storage longer than lipo without harm.

@slick2500 3D printed replacement successful. Took a few tires to dial it in but it works great. I'm going to try to print one in Orange to match the Spektrum color scheme and try out on my own radio.

PM me and we can figure out how to get a couple to you. Since they are so small I can just send them to you in a letter sized envelope for the cost of a stamp.

Side by side with OEM button:
View attachment 87403

Update: Orange button came out well.
View attachment 87414
Like the button...was that 3D printed or purchased?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back