Notorious Motor Mount Slider screws (another thread)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee82gx

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
  3. Outcast 6s
After what must be described as a herculean and frankly sh!t in pants 1 hour of dismounting the lousy 2 x M4 x 18mm screws, now I face the opposite of my replacement screws being rather loose.
I used minimal generic blue thread lock from chinese alchemists, they appear to dry and clump as usual at least. I know If I use too much even M3 x 12 cannot be unscrewed easily.

But, after my first few runs on 12T+6S, punch setting 7 and some failed backflips, the motor mount slid and chewed up the pinion gear.
I suppose I didn't tighten enough...? FYI I am using a new set of M4 Cap head set screws, they are still straight and not stripped, but they did come loose after those jumps.
My question is - Do I torque to "11" again, or get some proper Loctite Red? Loctite blue? (They are rather pricy).
Any better ways?

Went through something similar myself. Maybe try running lock washers as well? You could also try cleaning off the screws with something like acetone; sometimes new hardware has manufacturing oils on them. Then apply threadlock again and maybe give it a bit more time to cure? I've heard good things about a gel threadlocker called Vibra-Tite that's meant to be more immune to vibrations, haven't tried it myself though and it's rather expensive. (y)

Last edited:
Both options above are great. I use orange myself and it's a hybrid; strength of Red and easier to remove than Blue. And even though I have yet to use Vibra-Tite(can't source locally), I've heard great things about it. Seems to be made for RCs; holds great in extreme loosening situations, removable, and best of all reusable.

Both options above are great. I use orange myself and it's a hybrid; strength of Red and easier to remove than Blue. And even though I have yet to use Vibra-Tite(can't source locally), I've heard great things about it. Seems to be made for RCs; holds great in extreme loosening situations, removable, and best of all reusable.
I did not know Vibratite was reusable.

I did not know Vibratite was reusable.
I was skeptical myself. It's claimed and I've heard some say they have reused with no issues. But over $200 for 8 ounces? And can't find the smaller sizes.
Screenshot_20231120_075358_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20231120_075308_Samsung Internet.jpg

Went through something similar myself. Maybe try running lock washers as well? You could also try cleaning off the screws with something like acetone; sometimes new hardware has manufacturing oils on them. Then apply threadlock again and maybe give it a bit more time to cure? I've heard good things about a gel threadlocker called Vibra-Tite that's meant to be more immune to vibrations, haven't tried it myself though and it's rather expensive. (y)

During the initial disassembly of the cursed factory screw, I used a lighter and torch on the motor mount slider, on top of a healthy amount of paint thinner being doused on top and literally lit aflame with the lighter....It was glorious..

So I'm guessing my 2nd application of dubious thread lock is probably to blame.

I can't find Vibra-tite nor Permatex Orange in my country. Argh

During the initial disassembly of the cursed factory screw, I used a lighter and torch on the motor mount slider, on top of a healthy amount of paint thinner being doused on top and literally lit aflame with the lighter....It was glorious..

I found my plumbing torches to be too much and my butane or electric soldering irons take too long. Now I carry one of those mini butane torches that dabbers use. Fine pin-point flame and 5 seconds on the head of the bolts usually does it! Handy tool, I once made a solder connection to my SCX10.iii with it when my butane solder iron ran out of fuel. Wasn't the best but got me out of the woods without carrying it.
20231120_124254.jpg

ZOMG guys I finally hit up the correct dealer for Permatex in Malaysia and they agreed to order a measly 10ml bottle for me. And its even correctly priced at US$10 a bottle! I feel like I hit threadlock lottery here.

Anyways for you folks wondering what I've been up to since, I've been using a green thread lock, which seems to work fine enough. I found that one really had to clean the threads before and give it a lot of time to cure.

Back