Kraton MMX8s smoke show

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bashmaster

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Burned up my MMX8s tonight in my kraton 6s exb. Running 1717 1650kv and 2 yowoo graphene 4s batteries. It was early in the run, had a couple somewhat hard landings but nothing crazy. My battery disconnected on a landing, when I plugged it back in, the esc beeped 2 or 3 times then gave me a grand smoke show. Looks like one of my batteries is dead too (only the second run on them). My battery has no physical damage, but when i went to put a storage charge on it, my charger keeps faulting out. I noticed my sensor wire also was disconnected.... not sure if it's related. Anyone have this happen to them?

Yeah it happens. Been there.
Are you using QS8 connectors? What I would use for 8s setups.
Strapping the leads and packs is critical. No wires should flop around. This is the main reason I never use 2 packs. Added wiring and connector creates an added liability when bashing hard. Is what it is.
I only use single bricks. ( 6s bricks)
Just for 8s setups, you must use 2 x 4s's, I get that.(y)
I don't believe the sensor lead was the cause. But it might have been damaged also from the carnage. Sensor leads are delicate. I always keep spares on hand, even when out bashing, I always have a spare one.
BTW, I never store the balance lead(s) into the "holder on the lipo tray". When batteries eject, the Balance lead will rip out or get torn. That is a fire liability right there. I strap my balance leads to the lipo strap. So the whole Lipo(s) can eject with less chance of bal. wire damage. ( dead shorting)
:cool:

Last edited:
Yeah it happens. Been there.
Are you using QS8 connectors? What I would use for 8s setups.
Strapping the leads and packs is critical. No wires should flop around. This is the main reason I never use 2 packs. Added wiring and connector creates an added liability when bashing hard. Is what it is.
I only use single bricks. ( 6s bricks)
Just for 8s setups, you must use 2 x 4s's, I get that.(y)
I don't believe the sensor lead was the cause. But it might have been damaged also from the carnage. Sensor leads are delicate. I always keep spares on hand, even when out bashing, I always have a spare one.
BTW, I never store the balance lead(s) into the "holder on the lipo tray". When batteries eject, the Balance lead will rip out or get torn. That is a fire liability right there. I strap my balance leads to the lipo strap. So the whole Lipo(s) can eject with less chance of bal. wire damage. ( dead shorting)
:cool:
Great, thanks for the info! No, I have been using EC5 connectors, but have thought about switching.... looks like I'll be buying some QS8's. I do have spare sensor wires, just didn't notice it came out at the time. This is only my 4th run on a new motor, so really hoping there's no damage beyond the esc and battery. I'll need to do a better job of strapping my leads down... I should probably make a shorter splitter for when I run 2 batteries.

Damn that sucks, bro. I still go with the old adage, Hobbywing for bashing, Castle for Speed!

Damn that sucks, bro. I still go with the old adage, Hobbywing for bashing, Castle for Speed!
Yeah, I've noticed hobbywing is a favorite on the forum with bashers. With this one exception, I have a hard time getting away from castle. Performance is great, runs cool, and the castle setup is lighter than hobbywing. Another issue might change my mind

Great, thanks for the info! No, I have been using EC5 connectors, but have thought about switching.... looks like I'll be buying some QS8's. I do have spare sensor wires, just didn't notice it came out at the time. This is only my 4th run on a new motor, so really hoping there's no damage beyond the esc and battery. I'll need to do a better job of strapping my leads down... I should probably make a shorter splitter for when I run 2 batteries.
IC and EC5's have been known to loosen very easily. Slightly larger bullets over an XT90...so in "theory" suitable for 8s electrics....
XT90's for all of my 6s and 4s rigs here. Much easier to solder etc. IMHO. And less $$$. And they hold a much tighter connection. Have played with EC's before. Not a fan. I remove them from my RTR Spektrum ESC's. And I only use single Lipo bricks, So I remove the second series wire altogether..
If I had any 8s electrics, I would be using QS8's without question.
Good luck.
I
Yeah, I've noticed hobbywing is a favorite on the forum with bashers. With this one exception, I have a hard time getting away from castle. Performance is great, runs cool, and the castle setup is lighter than hobbywing. Another issue might change my mind
Depends on the CC ESC in question that you are using ..... CC motors alone are great with most any brand ESC. Some CC ESC models are tempermental in a hard basher environment. Any 8s setup almost requires an 8s CC in most cases. But they are quite heavy. I would only consider 8s in my speed runners.

Last edited:
IC and EC5's have been known to loosen very easily. Slightly larger bullets over an XT90...so in "theory" suitable for 8s electrics....
XT90's for all of my 6s and 4s rigs here. Much easier to solder etc. IMHO. And less $$$. And they hold a much tighter connection. Have played with EC's before. Not a fan. I remove them from my RTR Spektrum ESC's. And I only use single Lipo bricks, So I remove the second series wire altogether..
If I had any 8s electrics, I would be using QS8's without question.
Good luck.
I

Depends on the CC ESC in question that you are using ..... CC motors alone are great with most any brand ESC. Some CC ESC models are tempermental in a hard basher environment. Any 8s setup almost requires an 8s CC in most cases. But they are quite heavy. I would only consider 8s in my speed runners.
My question for you is why? 8s bashing setups are common in larger scale (heavier) trucks. I don't always run 8s, i have 6s bricks too, but I love the extra snap, and control I get out of the 8s setup. Do you experience with the mmx8s? Is not durable enough for a bashing setup?

I never crossed that path. I never felt CC was the go to for any basher. HW for me. And 8s in a 6s based platform is overpowered and becomes much heavier IMHO. I like them light and nimble as possible. What good is all the power if you can't enjoy the full power band. I want to use all of my Throttle trigger, not just 10% of it. I always felt the 1/8 drivetrains were better suited for 4s and 6s. Remains more durable, without dropping $$$ on drivetrain needed upgrades to accomodate 8s. That adds to even more Weight.:unsure: A viscious cycle of upgrading.....
Many like overpowered rigs, just because they can do it I guess?:unsure: It's a thing. And 12S could become a thing too. I just feel there is a sensible limit.
But hey we all fly differently. Who am I to say....:cool:
For dedicated and serious speed running, a completely different story.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back