Magnifying glass useful?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC-Dude

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Are you guys using some sort of a magnfiying glass for your hobby? Like the ones you attach to a desk.
Was thinking about getting one for soldering and to adjust the pinion/spur mesh.
But not quite sure if it is unnecessary.

Are you guys using some sort of a magnfiying glass for your hobby? Like the ones you attach to a desk.
Was thinking about getting one for soldering and to adjust the pinion/spur mesh.
But not quite sure if it is nonsense.

One of those large drafting table ones!

1689281221439.png

Go Big or don't bother..
🦍

Diopter 3 I guess? 5 could be a bit too close to solder.

Large is like 4 inch glass diameter?

I've seen some that's bigger.. 6-8"
But use whatever works for you. 🤘

Do you need one to see better? Then it is necessary and useful to you. Why do you ask us? Why would you need our opinion?
I would get one in a heartbeat if it would help me see.

Do you need one to see better? Then it is necessary and useful to you. Why do you ask us? Why would you need our opinion?
I would get one in a heartbeat if it would help me see.
I have a small magnifying glass - mostly use it to check differential gears. Not sure if a bigger on is just another gadget that I can do without. Or one of those where I wish I would have gotten it long ago. It does take up some space. My main workarea is a table 80x120cm with 4 wheels that I can move and walk around. So a cable is quite irritating. So many write on Amazon they are pretty wobbly. I will have to remove it now and then.

I've seen some that's bigger.. 6-8"
But use whatever works for you.
Will have to check / figure out what size makes sense.

I have a small magnifying glass - mostly use it to check differential gears. Not sure if a bigger on is just another gadget that I can do without. Or one of those where I wish I would have gotten it long ago. It does take up some space. My main workarea is a table 80x120cm with 4 wheels that I can move and walk around. So a cable is quite irritating. So many write on Amazon they are pretty wobbly. I will have to remove it now and then.

Will have to check / figure out what size makes sense.

We've got the same one @Tex Koder posted. Its pretty stable. I find it helpful and I don't wear glasses. For me its 1 of those things I don't need that often, but when u do I'm super glad to have it.
🤷‍♂️

My problem isn't that I am unable see the small stuff. It is that I can't see the stuff with my glasses on. I have to take them off. I have never thought about getting one until I saw this thread.
We've got the same one @Tex Koder posted. Its pretty stable. I find it helpful and I don't wear glasses. For me its 1 of those things I don't need that often, but when u do I'm super glad to have it.
🤷‍♂️

Is it this one? https://www.amazon.com/Magnifying-8-Diopter-Magnifier-Adjustable-Work-Black/dp/B08QJ5QVWP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2FIEWSVDEHU56&keywords=drafting+table+light+with+magnifying+glass&qid=1689289197&s=home-garden&sprefix=drafting+table+light+with+magnifying+glass,garden,144&sr=1-5

It seems to me 4 diopter makes sense. 100% bigger Focal length is 25cm - enough space to work under it with a soldering iron. 5 diopter = 20cm focal length. 8 diopter (called 8x magnification?!?) = 12,5cm focal length, 200% bigger. Soldering should still be OK.

Last edited:
I have one of the clamp ones. Love it!
IMG_4893.jpeg
IMG_4895.jpeg

Last edited:
My problem isn't that I am unable see the small stuff. It is that I can't see the stuff with my glasses on. I have to take them off. I have never thought about getting one until I saw this thread.

Is it this one? https://www.amazon.com/Magnifying-8-Diopter-Magnifier-Adjustable-Work-Black/dp/B08QJ5QVWP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2FIEWSVDEHU56&keywords=drafting+table+light+with+magnifying+glass&qid=1689289197&s=home-garden&sprefix=drafting+table+light+with+magnifying+glass,garden,144&sr=1-5
The one I got was closer to $100 fwiw. I'd be scared of buying one for $30, saw those and passed. I got mine from home depot online.

Been using a version of the above suggestions for years. Even if I don't need the magifying glass, I can direct the light to where it's needed. Totally worth the investment. My eyes aren't getting any younger.

By the way - what a cool gadget when you crimp servo leads. Don't want to miss it.

They are sweet. My son got into restoring gaming systems and accessories about 10 years ago. He had one of those very cheap helping hands and complained how bad it was. So, for Christmas I got him a set similar to this. No lighted magnifying glass. Added 2 more short arms and a soldering pen holder. Loves it and uses it all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Ma...=magnetic+helping+hands&qid=1695077110&sr=8-6

Also got him one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Re...locphy=9019542&hvtargid=pla-441617670457&th=1

I've since bought a smaller version for myself and the mat. The mat is priceless. No more burns on your work bench. The compartments are magetized. Little screws stay put even if you bump the table or bench. And enough compartments to keep track of the screws as you remove them. Just work backwards as you reassemble. Awesome!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.