Low cost CNC router for machining aluminum (is there such a thing?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
I have been doing some light reading and watching reviews on YT about CNC routers and gathered that they are not up for the task of machining aluminum.
Has anyone found info or a setup contrary to this?

I need to machine some parts that are 8mm thick aluminum with bearings and various shapes. It would be similar to making a motor mount/center diff assembly, but I am not making a part like that.

It seems that these sort of "CNC" machines are suitable for wood and PCB projects.

1615585591905.png

I think what you want is a mill not a CNC but I could be wrong. Iirc the machines like what M2C and JBI use cost like $40k but again I could be wrong.

I know @Jimbobjr makes his own parts out of aluminum maybe he could chime in.

You need a heavy duty motor for milling aluminum. Heavy duty = expensive.

Most of what is out there is for engraving, you need something that can cut, mill, engrave etc.

Last edited:
I think what you want is a mill not a CNC but I could be wrong. Iirc the machines like what M2C and JBI use cost like $40k but again I could be wrong.

I know @Jimbobjr makes his own parts out of aluminum maybe he could chime in.
I don’t think those routers will cut aluminum (maybe carbon fiber panels with the right tooling). For making a lot of parts to sell, a used Haas, or retro fitted Bridgeport (or Bridgeport clones) cnc mills would be cheapest. Then you need 3 phase electric, space and ablility to move heavy equipment, a software package or ability to program the equipment along with tooling to actually cut the metal. This is all an expensive endeavor for rc cars and highly competitive.

Another way is to buy old school (literally buy them from an old tech school) manual equipment and make parts for yourself one at a time. Of course you need to learn how to use the stuff (this can take a while). If you’re patient you can find old manual Bridgeport mill and Southbend lathes on Craigslist. You still need space and ability to move them. This is the route I did for my own low budget small machine shop. I use it for gun smithing, tractor repair, general maintenance and of course rc cars, have had it for close to 30 years.

I don’t think those routers will cut aluminum (maybe carbon fiber panels with the right tooling). For making a lot of parts to sell, a used Haas, or retro fitted Bridgeport (or Bridgeport clones) cnc mills would be cheapest. Then you need 3 phase electric, space and ablility to move heavy equipment, a software package or ability to program the equipment along with tooling to actually cut the metal. This is all an expensive endeavor for rc cars and highly competitive.

Another way is to buy old school (literally buy them from an old tech school) manual equipment and make parts for yourself one at a time. Of course you need to learn how to use the stuff (this can take a while). If you’re patient you can find old manual Bridgeport mill and Southbend lathes on Craigslist. You still need space and ability to move them. This is the route I did for my own low budget small machine shop. I use it for gun smithing, tractor repair, general maintenance and of course rc cars, have had it for close to 30 years.
Yeah I figured out of everyone here you would probably have the most knowledge on this subject.

I have a very old Emco Unimat SL lathe/mill but looking for computer controlled precision on this build.
I found a Local CNC guy that charges $75 per hour and seems like that will be my best bet.

Thanks guys for confirming my assumption that setting up my own CNC will be too expensive for me right now.

Thanks guys for confirming my assumption that setting up my own CNC will be too expensive for me right now.
I wish it weren't so, I enjoy seeing how you work through your projects, this would have been a great chapter.

There’s a person on the forum here who made his own cnc mill with a kit (might have made it...) he put together onto an exsisting milling machine. Definitely not for the faint of heart and he has some serious skills. His name is @Camaroboy383 here’s his cool YouTube channel with some machining videos https://m.youtube.com/user/camaroboy383

There’s a person on the forum here who made his own cnc mill with a kit (might have made it...) he put together onto an exsisting milling machine. Definitely not for the faint of heart and he has some serious skills. His name is @Camaroboy383 here’s his cool YouTube channel with some machining videos https://m.youtube.com/user/camaroboy383
It's always so mesmerizing watching those things work.

I have a very old Emco Unimat SL lathe/mill but looking for computer controlled precision on this build.
I found a Local CNC guy that charges $75 per hour and seems like that will be my best bet.

This is your answer..👆.. it's not just the cost of a mill.. it's learning the cam.. if you want to have a part in your hand soon.. this is the only way.. 👍

You’ve gotta have a machine shop nearby that you could contract the work to for much less than the investment of buying a mill.
Looks to be that way. There is a local guy 2 towns over and he is pretty cool. He did some stuff for his son's RC car.
It will be a fraction of buying a decent machine capable of doing aluminum.

This is your answer..👆.. it's not just the cost of a mill.. it's learning the cam.. if you want to have a part in your hand soon.. this is the only way.. 👍

Exactly! I had considered all the time, trial, and error involved and think having a local pro do the CNC work is my best move.
I had seen the Fusion 360 has a decent software with relatively low learning curve, but I am sure that rabbit hole is deeper than I realize.

I tried cutting aluminum on my old Emco Unimat and it likes to kick and jump. There is no way a cheap machine would produce the precision I need in these parts.

Only issue I have is that all the local CNC guys are not engineers and use the standard system, where engineering is done in the metric system :oldman:

Looks to be that way. There is a local guy 2 towns over and he is pretty cool. He did some stuff for his son's RC car.
It will be a fraction of buying a decent machine capable of doing aluminum.

Exactly! I had considered all the time, trial, and error involved and think having a local pro do the CNC work is my best move.
I had seen the Fusion 360 has a decent software with relatively low learning curve, but I am sure that rabbit hole is deeper than I realize.

I tried cutting aluminum on my old Emco Unimat and it likes to kick and jump. There is no way a cheap machine would produce the precision I need in these parts.

Only issue I have is that all the local CNC guys are not engineers and use the standard system, where engineering is done in the metric system :oldman:

Honestly your best bet is to model the part yourself.. metric or standard means nothing.. you can model it in metric and once it's dropped in their cam it will convert it to standard...

But I can not stress enough YOU model the part is a must.. otherwise your relatively cost effect solution goes out the window.. between cad and cam you will be in the 300+ range if I had to guess.. nevermind the time and material to machine it...

To put that in perspective I built my mill for around 1800 with a computer to run it.. ground up build..

The rabbit hole is your speeds, feeds, optimal tool loads for that particular spindle speed.. without knowing basic feeds and speeds for a particular tool at a particular rpm your doomed from the start.. snapped tooling and tramming the machine can get pricey and lengthy quick...

Far before I built a cnc I worked with manual machines which gave a grasp of what a certain tool can take without yeilding.. because you have run some manual you may be able to dive right in...

I was never a Machinist, I never went to school for it.. just wanted it in my possession and went from there..

If I had to guess, most, if not all of us have far more invested in toys that break than the cost of a mini cnc that gives back... That being said it's well worth your while to get one and learn it all... Heck, it could pay you back 10 fold...

But if your looking for a part quickly and don't mind tossing hundreds out to do it that's the route you mentioned above..

Honestly your best bet is to model the part yourself.. metric or standard means nothing.. you can model it in metric and once it's dropped in their cam it will convert it to standard...

But I can not stress enough YOU model the part is a must.. otherwise your relatively cost effect solution goes out the window.. between cad and cam you will be in the 300+ range if I had to guess.. nevermind the time and material to machine it...

To put that in perspective I built my mill for around 1800 with a computer to run it.. ground up build..

The rabbit hole is your speeds, feeds, optimal tool loads for that particular spindle speed.. without knowing basic feeds and speeds for a particular tool at a particular rpm your doomed from the start.. snapped tooling and tramming the machine can get pricey and lengthy quick...

Far before I built a cnc I worked with manual machines which gave a grasp of what a certain tool can take without yeilding.. because you have run some manual you may be able to dive right in...

I was never a Machinist, I never went to school for it.. just wanted it in my possession and went from there..

If I had to guess, most, if not all of us have far more invested in toys that break than the cost of a mini cnc that gives back... That being said it's well worth your while to get one and learn it all... Heck, it could pay you back 10 fold...

But if your looking for a part quickly and don't mind tossing hundreds out to do it that's the route you mentioned above..
It would be a dream to have a nice CNC setup. I have had my eye on the Pocket NC 5-axis machine for quite some time.
Might have to be when we move to the country and I have a workshop further away from the house. I might need several workshops ;)

I am fully prepared to drop about $350-600 on these aluminum parts I need. (which is about where I am guessing the total will land for all 6 pieces needed)

I don't think you're dreaming, but you have a long learning curve ahead of you. With a stout router, you can make RC car parts in aluminum. Your depths of cut and feed and speed rates will have to be dialed in through experimentation. The precision of your dimensions is entirely related to your depth of knowledge at the machine. High RPM machining in aluminum is messy, and you'll have to deburr the crap out of your parts.

I have a manual machine shop at home. I can make a dizzying array of parts, but the limitations of manual machining would prevent me from doing anything complex on small RC parts. This type of manufacturing is definitely in the domain of CNC.

Another option is to use a local CNC shop to produce your design in batch quantities. This is fairly affordable to do, but you have to have your prototyping worked out before going to production. Things you don't know about CNC will cost you money, like assuming a dimension will be correct at the toolpath level, and finding that tool deflection requires you to increase a radius by a few thousandths to compensate. Every hole, boss, and feature has some little thing like that to keep you from printing perfect parts the first time. But if you got that worked out, I bet making 100 parts or more in a run will leave you with some profit... hopefully.

I have a manual machine shop at home. I can make a dizzying array of parts, but the limitations of manual machining would prevent me from doing anything complex on small RC parts. This type of manufacturing is definitely in the domain of CNC.
we made everything manually for 100's of years. aircraft carriers, tanks, guns, everything. cnc's are great (running a hardinge t51sp as I type this) but for making a few rc car parts, not a necessity.

And when we made parts on manual machines, each machine had dedicated fixturing and tooling for one specific process on one specific part. They filled acres of factory floors (city blocks in some cases) and employed hundreds of machinists to make just one product. To use a single machine, every time I need to cut a curve (for example), I have to tear down my setup and get my rotary table set and dialed, fix the part, make the plan, and make my cuts. Then tear that setup down and dial in another fixture for the next step... It's not impossible by any stretch, but it is not efficient, either. Necessity being the mother, CNC is all that is used in manufacturing these days.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back