Liberty's twin rigger project - dual brushless outrigger RC boat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
As you may know I have been dabbling in RC boats over the past few years, and if you know me well... you know I focus on speed builds.
For about 1 year I have owned a Zippkits fe 33 outrigger, which I purchased used from a guy. It is an excellent boat and I had run in 88 mph on just 4s power with it using the ABC 1817 prop. It likely has 100+mph on 4s in it with a more aggressive prop on it. The boat can support 6s or more. These riggers are known to get up over 100mph and seem to end up in the 110-130 mph range most of the time.

1714570275942.png

I had been following the different RC boat channels on YT and like the dual motor catamaran RC boats, but see that they have big issues with blow overs above 100 mph. With standard RTR electronics they can crack 100 mph which is impressive on the water! This blow over issue is reduced quite a bit with out riggers. The challenge is that there are very few options for out riggers and most you have to build yourself. Especially when setup for high speed use.

Just like with RC cars the dual motor setup improves the efficiency greatly reducing the load on each motor for the given speed. The other advantage is having more propeller in the water reduces prop slip. (normal slip is in the 15-25% range depending on the setup)

The fear is loosing 2x the electronics in the event of a crash/blow over.

Long story short I am building a second FE 33 kit to make into a twin rigger setup. It will be double of what my single rigger was setup with. TP4070 and XLX2 ESC.
As you can see the wood build is still in progress, but nearly finished. This setup utilizes the soon to come out Zippkits R6 parts 10mm carbon boom tubes and sponson sleeves. I drilled and modified the sponsons and main hulls to fit this new boom tube. It has also been shifted forward to increase the total boat length and help with high speed stability.

More to come on this project, but was excited and wanted to share with you all.

1714570552230.png

1714570707378.png

Last edited:
Curious..
So how are you going to secure that frontal boom with it sticking out that far forward?

A new "nose" cap?

Curious..
So how are you going to secure that frontal boom with it sticking out that far forward?

A new "nose" cap?

Borrowing the method from the worlds fastest rigger. Just some carbon plate that extends out and supports the front tube

1714576398017.png

Borrowing the method from the worlds fastest rigger. Just some carbon plate that extends out and supports the front tube

View attachment 363929

Ah..
Gotcha.

So will it be open-frame like that?

Or are you secretly planning on designing a custom cover to go over the carbon plates..?

Because I'm envisioning you just re-using half of your SR Body to cover this custom DoubleWide-R chassis.
IMG_20240501_114137276.jpg

IMG_20240501_114118670.jpg

IMG_20240501_114116881.jpg

Obviously, it'll need some resizing to fit..

Ah..
Gotcha.

So will it be open-frame like that?

Or are you secretly planning on designing a custom cover to go over the carbon plates..?

Because I'm envisioning you just re-using half of your SR Body to cover this custom DoubleWide-R chassis.
View attachment 363948

View attachment 363949

View attachment 363950

Obviously, it'll need some resizing to fit..

Yes, it will remain open. This allows you to adjust the "arms" to change the sponson height and angle of attack on the water should they need tuning.

Yes, it will remain open. This allows you to adjust the "arms" to change the sponson height and angle of attack on the water should they need tuning.

Oh..

You're >
Think Dota 2 GIF by Alliance

LOL not quite.... just following what has been done in the past with good results.

I was actually envisioning you making it >>>

an Actively Adjustable Height and AoA feature on your DW-R..
🤯💥👊

mind blown GIF

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

Fresh Off The Boat Reaction GIF

Why just copycat someone else's basic setup when you can Go Beyond - Ultra Extreme!!

I was actually envisioning you making it >>>

an Actively Adjustable Height and AoA feature on your DW-R..
🤯💥👊

mind blown GIF

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

Fresh Off The Boat Reaction GIF

Why just copycat someone else's basic setup when you can Go Beyond - Ultra Extreme!!

Not out of the realm of possible. I did pick up an airplane gyro but have not had the time to play with it yet....

Back