Kraton 8S EXB - OK to run as rear wheel drive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsJust Me

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I've removed the drive shaft on my Arrma Vorteks and it is brilliant fun. Apparently it has no impact on the Vorteks gearbox?

Is it possible to remove the front drive shaft for the same effect with the Kraton? This is not intended for general use, but would be great if I could try a bit of drifting in the odd car park, so really want to ensure that it is not going to damage the centre diff?

You will damage your center diff from overheating, and it will bleed off most of the power to the front outdrive. Can you do it? Yes. Should you? I don't think its a good idea.
If you really want to try 2wd in a center diff equipped rc, you need to "lock" the diff to avoid power from bleeding or unloading to the outdrive with no resistance. You could buy a spare center diff and fill it with epoxy or similar that would lock it up. That would do it.
I tried that a few years ago on a Redcat 4x4 1/8 MT that I wanted to try and convert to 2wd. Didn't really work out well, the weight distribution is just all wrong. Turned out to be a "Sit n Spin", LOL. No traction, couldn't even get the thing to drive straight under power. If blowing the rear tires off was the goal, it would have been great!!

Wait, I stand corrected.. yes, you can, I just realized you could possibly put a spool in the center diff to lock it up..
Here it is, though backordered at the moment..
https://bulletproofrc.com/ols/products/arrma-kraton-8s-differential-spool-billet-aluminum

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240418-085203_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240418-085203_Samsung Internet.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
You will damage your center diff from overheating, and it will bleed off most of the power to the front outdrive. Can you do it? Yes. Should you? I don't think its a good idea.
If you really want to try 2wd in a center diff equipped rc, you need to "lock" the diff to avoid power from bleeding or unloading to the outdrive with no resistance. You could buy a spare center diff and fill it with epoxy or similar that would lock it up. That would do it.
I tried that a few years ago on a Redcat 4x4 1/8 MT that I wanted to try and convert to 2wd. Didn't really work out well, the weight distribution is just all wrong. Turned out to be a "Sit n Spin", LOL. No traction, couldn't even get the thing to drive straight under power. If blowing the rear tires off was the goal, it would have been great!!

Wait, I stand corrected.. yes, you can, I just realized you could possibly put a spool in the center diff to lock it up..
Here it is, though backordered at the moment..
https://bulletproofrc.com/ols/products/arrma-kraton-8s-differential-spool-billet-aluminum
Thank you, that is really helpful! I'll look at getting one of those, I'm not interesting in damaging it in anyway.

Saying that, am I damaging the Arrma Vorteks by doing the same? There was a thread on here saying that it was OK - don't want to damage that either!

Thinking about it, the vorteks does not have a centre diff right? Just a gearbox splitting power to F/R diffs, so should be fine without drive shaft?

Last edited:
Thank you, that is really helpful! I'll look at getting one of those, I'm not interesting in damaging it in anyway.

Saying that, am I damaging the Arrma Vorteks by doing the same? There was a thread on here saying that it was OK - don't want to damage that either!

Thinking about it, the vorteks does not have a centre diff right? Just a gearbox splitting power to F/R diffs, so should be fine without drive shaft?
The Vorteks has a slipper clutch vs K8S which has a center diff. I can't imagine there being any harm to the slipper in your case.

Back