I've had it with GRP's; not safe for speeds over 120 mph

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dk10438

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
I had another blowout at 122 mph. This is the 3rd tire failure between 120-130 mph. I've read that they should be good up to 130-140 mph but these wrecks lead me to believe that anything above 110 mph is questionable. I damaged my scorched chassis but it wasn't a total loss so I fee fortunate. Lesson learned.... foams from now on.

IMG_8666.jpg

I had another blowout at 122 mph. This is the 3rd tire failure between 120-130 mph. I've read that they should be good up to 130-140 mph but these wrecks lead me to believe that anything above 110 mph is questionable. I damaged my scorched chassis but it wasn't a total loss so I fee fortunate. Lesson learned.... foams from now on.

View attachment 283054
Do you add glue to the tires? I find that GRP’s gluing is pretty inconsistent. Started adding glue when I get new tires and they’ve been better.

Do you add glue to the tires? I find that GRP’s gluing is pretty inconsistent. Started adding glue when I get new tires and they’ve been better.
TBH, I was doing a little research on adding some glue and actually had some in my amazon shopping cart. Bob Smith Ic-2000???
TBH, I was doing a little research on adding some glue and actually had some in my amazon shopping cart. Bob Smith Ic-2000???
foams aren't cheap but neither are my cars. This was a costly mistake.

foams aren't cheap but neither are my cars. This was a costly mistake.
Yup. That’s the glue. I don’t use GRP’s over 120 anymore. But I don’t like to waste foams for testing.

I've done 50+ hits 135-145 on my xm5s with firm wheels..I reglue with thick bead of glue outa the package
I imagine people where complaining about glue on wheels...I go thick on both sides.

Screenshot_20230304-183253_Photos.jpg

View attachment 283054
Thin diff fluid will cause diff-out..most the time 1 tire bounces up an spins outa control till they blow because thin fluid. Mostly front tires an mostly LF cause RR an LF get most the power...I only use 20 mil or ear plugs that are similar..

Last edited:
I've done 50+ hits 135-145 on my xm5s with firm wheels..I reglue with thick bead of glue outa the package
Holy smoke, man! I had no idea they could last like that. I’m a long way from 135, but after I progress I’m dreading having to go to foams. Hard enough to keep my street Typhon straight with GRP’s. I will definitely start gluing the tires when I get them out of the package.

Foams can be super sketchy on lighter cars like vendetta, swb,vte.ill run grps upto 150..
151 grps
Wow, man! Ok, I’ll take it. No foams for me for awhile. A lot of people are like “OMG, don’t do it, over 120 and the world explodes.” Tell you what, I’ll glue the sh*t out of them and keep some actual traction for a little while. That will at least give me a little bit of a learning curve. They didn’t even look too chunked up. That’s awesome, man!

Wow, man! Ok, I’ll take it. No foams for me for awhile. A lot of people are like “OMG, don’t do it, over 120 and the world explodes.” Tell you what, I’ll glue the sh*t out of them and keep some actual traction for a little while. That will at least give me a little bit of a learning curve. They didn’t even look too chunked up. That’s awesome, man!
Foams took me a while to get used to...they will Chunk easly,if car gos sidways theyll chunk..then tires outa balanced..I'd run grp long as possible.

maybe I'll give them another try with the Bob Smith glue. I'm just annoyed because my Scorched chassis was damaged.

Unless ya Tru foams down under 100mm they'll do this...learning foams for me was costly,lol. Check out 3.10 in video.

maybe I'll give them another try with the Bob Smith glue. I'm just annoyed because my Scorched chassis was damaged.
How bad?
Unless ya Tru foams down under 100mm they'll do this...learning foams for me was costly,lol. Check out 3.10 in video.
Buy the low pro version that BSR sells. They’re around 97mm if I remember correctly. I’m out of town so I can’t measure right now.

I just recently blew 2 grps just hooning around with my mean little typhon. I think I'm going to start gluing them right out of the bag too. I couldn't believe it happened back to back lol. I never even went over 75

I just recently blew 2 grps just hooning around with my mean little typhon. I think I'm going to start gluing them right out of the bag too. I couldn't believe it happened back to back lol. I never even went over 75
It’s a crapshoot with GRP’s. I’ve had some that have gone over 120 multiple times before I started gluing. Some have blown under 100. The glue seems to help. I’ve never had a wreck because of a blown tire though. I can always hear the tire and back off. I better go knock on wood.

I've made a habit of glueing every new tyre out of the bag then checking between most runs. You'll be surprised what you find.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back