Fireteam I don't know how to shim a diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went from one to 2 and then 3. it was too tight at 3 just about right at 2 and 1 was sloppy, so on 2 it ran great for 15 min then it started clacking, dissasemble and find metal flakes in the oil. I rebuilt all 3 4 different times, the only thing that's off is the red washr, I used a slightly smaller washer that stretched over fine and sat in as the stock would, it ended the same way 4 times even now that there rounded a tad it's still the same 2 strips 3 won't move!

I also tried variations as in, 2 on one side then 3 on other side ,ect
Apologies to the moderators I sometimes forget my language
I know this is a major headache. I'm guessing I spent anywhere from 45 minutes to over an hour on each diff. Looks like you have the easier way seeing the vita von diff carriers open on both end. My Hot Racing ones were the same. It almost sounds to me that you needed 2 and one thinner shim? I wasn't able to get the Arrma shim kit so my LHS threw together a bunch of shim packs from TA, Mugen, and Tekno. And added another pack for the sun gears of ultra thin shims. It was like handling a circular razor blade. I believe those were Mugens too.
Even though I have never used Vita Von parts, I really haven't heard anything bad about them like say, GPM. Only reason ive never tried them out is they are not on Amazon.ca or in any shops ive been to. But I suppose a bad run is possible. And as much as I like Hot Racing, I have an actual thread somewhere here where I tried their cvd axles on my 3s Senton and found out that a paperclip held up alot better than their damn "hardened steel pins".

I know this is a major headache. I'm guessing I spent anywhere from 45 minutes to over an hour on each diff. Looks like you have the easier way seeing the vita von diff carriers open on both end. My Hot Racing ones were the same. It almost sounds to me that you needed 2 and one thinner shim? I wasn't able to get the Arrma shim kit so my LHS threw together a bunch of shim packs from TA, Mugen, and Tekno. And added another pack for the sun gears of ultra thin shims. It was like handling a circular razor blade. I believe those were Mugens too.
Even though I have never used Vita Von parts, I really haven't heard anything bad about them like say, GPM. Only reason ive never tried them out is they are not on Amazon.ca or in any shops ive been to. But I suppose a bad run is possible. And as much as I like Hot Racing, I have an actual thread somewhere here where I tried their cvd axles on my 3s Senton and found out that a paperclip held up alot better than their damn "hardened steel pins".
Good thing I enjoy the wrenching but failure not so much
Thank to everybody who chimed in

At the head scratching point, I’d start from the beginning with a new bulkhead assembly from JRC.

I didn’t see a diff gasket in your first pictures, that would definitely create your issues.

At the head scratching point, I’d start from the beginning with a new bulkhead assembly from JRC.

I didn’t see a diff gasket in your first pictures, that would definitely create your issues.
Yes thank you my bulkheads are aluminum brand new and the gasket was on the gear if not on cup literally everything is new in that area minus 2.5 packs
Yes thank you my bulkheads are aluminum brand new and the gasket was on the gear if not on cup literally everything is new in that area minus 2.5 packs
And I only let it click enough to identify wich one but after it all they all did the same even the center

And I only let it click enough to identify wich one but after it all they all did the same even the center
So they still have teeth just slightly rounded vitavon is going to assemble 3 diffs for me so when they get here I will be highly observant as to the shimming used and really take my time
Honestly felt and sounded perfect for the first pack but after that problems over and over again it's got me baffled some of my mugen shims mushroomed under the larger 2 spider gears

Last edited:
Sorry you're going through this bud. Fingers crossed those new vitavon sets are the ticket.
Is it possible to revert to the stock diffs in the meantime so you can at least have some fun?

Sorry you're going through this bud. Fingers crossed those new vitavon sets are the ticket.
Is it possible to revert to the stock diffs in the meantime so you can at least have some fun?
Yea I can I've got 4 sets 2 full stock
The vitavon was supposed to be my bulletproof lol

The vitavon was supposed to be my bulletproof lol
I'm headed to get some naphtha and start cleaning I have to waitt on diff fluid In the process of rebuilding these diffs 4 times. I'm low completely out of 500k

3 full vitavon two arrma diff housings free now i call that resolution
17013990081337754746871795769846.jpg

3 full vitavon two arrma diff housings free now i call that resolution
17013990081337754746871795769846.jpg
Arthur at vitavon and Bill at horizon did me right

So what was the cause of the issue? The cases or vitavon itself..... keep hearing tons of non happy costumers with vivaton since they appeared. Some love them some don't. In my cases ima avoid it like the plague i have no issues with factory gears specially the exb ones.. idk why you need anything else...theres maybe only 1 guy who stripped the exb diffs and it was mostly due to poor shimming or a broken bulkhead

So what was the cause of the issue? The cases or vitavon itself..... keep hearing tons of non happy costumers with vivaton since they appeared. Some love them some don't. In my cases ima avoid it like the plague i have no issues with factory gears specially the exb ones.. idk why you need anything else...theres maybe only 1 guy who stripped the exb diffs and it was mostly due to poor shimming or a broken bulkhead
I've been testing a few parts with a few company's, there is a slight difference in vitavon cup depth ,its about a tenth of a mm issue is that tenth in the spiders. I had shimmed 2 on each side as per arrma cup instructions,so vit in arrma cup was over shimed. It worked great in hand and on 4s light test ,but what I did not acount for was heat+metal expansion!I had the tolerances so tight when cold it was perfect but as soon as I put 6s and grass lawn to it, heat caused them to expand.i only started this journey because cast stock spider gear cracked in half.i got a free one from arrma to replace but while waiting I got anxious. In the end paid for three diffs GOT nine total.just had to go through the email game warranties on all.sry for the length but that's my story lol
I've been testing a few parts with a few company's, there is a slight difference in vitavon cup depth ,its about a tenth of a mm issue is that tenth in the spiders. I had shimmed 2 on each side as per arrma cup instructions,so vit in arrma cup was over shimed. It worked great in hand and on 4s light test ,but what I did not acount for was heat+metal expansion!I had the tolerances so tight when cold it was perfect but as soon as I put 6s and grass lawn to it, heat caused them to expand.i only started this journey because cast stock spider gear cracked in half.i got a free one from arrma to replace but while waiting I got anxious. In the end paid for three diffs GOT nine total.just had to go through the email game warranties on all.sry for the length but that's my story lol
I couldn't help but try spral cut bevel and crowns too. To many conflicting opinions ,but if you look at the k8s the come factory with spirals I feel like they are smoother

Last edited:

I couldn't help but try spral cut bevel and crowns too. To many conflicting opinions ,but if you look at the k8s the come factory with spirals I feel like they are smoother
This reminds me of someone’s Xmaxx on youtube. He was fixing an xmaxx for someone and he was jockingly mocking Gpm on how their gears for 1/5 scales are total crap. Tons of play, out of tolerence specs. Bassicly his diffs kept failing with only a few bcks, with metal bulkheads and cups no amount of shimming fixed the issue. As much as we complain about arrma QC. They are better than whatever the Chinese aftermarket comes with

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back