Limitless I’m finally committed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remote uncontrol

Very Active Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Reaction score
Well I’ve finally bit the bullet. I have a Hobao Vte2 on the way and I’m going to start building it up. I’m a broke 16 year old and also pretty clueless as of right now but I think I can get it figured out with some a lot of help. I’m not going for anything too crazy 130MPH is my goal for now. If any of you know anything about this car that I should know right off the bat I’d like to hear it

Well I’ve finally bit the bullet. I have a Hobao Vte2 on the way and I’m going to start building it up. I’m a broke 16 year old and also pretty clueless as of right now but I think I can get it figured out with some a lot of help. I’m not going for anything too crazy 130MPH is my goal for now. If any of you know anything about this car that I should know right off the bat I’d like to hear it

Take it Slow.
Start with finding a Smooth, straight road. No traffic if possible.

Broke 16 year old!!!??

Boy you should be a 37 year old with 4 kids, 5 cars, and a house worth of payments!
When I was 16 I never had less then $800 in my wallet... no house, no car payments, no bills... heavin!! Now days I'm lucky to keep a 20 spot goin for my weekly gas in the truck 🤣😂😅

Tex is right though man. Find you a good road to start. No need to try and rush a new experience! Good luck my friend 🙂

Just remember..
Rushing your Speed rig is the Fastest way to go Mo' Broke.

Game Over F1 GIF by Engineered Insanity

Welcome to speed running! You have chosen wisely. The VTE2 is probably the highest quality 1/7 car you can get currently and, AFAIK, no upgrades should be needed to achieve your goal (and even beyond when you get there).

Well, now that I think about it, there probably is one thing you should upgrade at some point and that's the shock springs. Speed running generates quite a bit of downforce and there's only so much you can do with pre-load (Hobao, for whatever reason, didn't extend the threaded portion all the way down the shock body so you're a little limited in that regard). Whenever you have the chance and money, pick up some high tension springs from Perfect Pass, Island Hobby Nut or SAGA Custom RC (links below).

https://www.perfectpassrc.com/products/speed-run-springs-for-arrma-1-7
https://islandhobbynut.com/products...vt-gtb-stiffner-shock-springs-for-medium-hard
https://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/..._Hobao_VTEVTE2_stiffer_shock_springs_4pc.html

As has already been mentioned, take it slow. Don't try to make large jumps in speed. I'd highly recommend starting out on 3S if possible, 4S at most. Low voltage running has several advantages. It really limits the amount of available power yet still have enough to achieve surprisingly high speeds (how high will depend largely on the quality of your batteries but speeds over 130mph are definitely possible on 3S). This will give you time to get the car set up right before getting into the higher reaches where a simple mistake or oversight can get really expensive, really quickly. When tweaking the car, try to avoid making several changes at once because you won't know what change had what effect so, if possible, make one adjustment and then take the car out for a pass to see what the effect was.

Another thing worth mentioning is a hidden cost of speed running not often talked about and that's gears. There's the obvious stuff like ESC, motor and batteries and then there's the not so obvious as there's no way around having to buy quite a number of gears that, depending on where you buy them and what brand, will run you anywhere from $12-22 each. So even a modest collection of 10-20 gears is quite a bit of money but, fortunately, it's easy to spread out over time. Another worthwhile investment, imho, is a spool to replace the center diff. It isn't strictly necessary but it does offer some positive benefits to the driving characteristics of the car and has the added benefit of using the same gears as the motor (assuming you have a motor with an 8mm shaft, which I would highly recommend).

And if it hasn't become obvious from speed running videos you've surely watched at this point, the best ESC for the job is an XLX2, there's no close second.

Ask questions as they arise and remember, the only stupid question is the one not asked (I don't mean this literally as there are actually stupid questions but I think you know what I'm getting at). You'll always find a helpful mind on here.

Godspeed and good luck.

I had the VTE2 up to 146 mph doing low voltage runs and know it well.
You can get sucked into all the upgrades, but I know some guys who have had this car up to 160-170 with the original setup only adding electronics and wheels.
For example I never changed the diff ratios. The 3.3 diffs are fine till about 170 mph. Stock center dog bones are fine etc...

My setup was 2s 3s and 4s runs. (2s = 114 mph, 3s = 134 mph, 4s = 146 mph and that setup had another 10 mph in it)
Do you have a very very very good road to use? It will use up around 1500 ft at 130mph.

I know a "kid" that had dumped $4,000 into a limitless/infraction and has never been above 80 because he has no access to a good road.

My recommended setup would be:

1. GRP XX soft tires (must be balanced)
2. Flysky noble NB4 (using the throttle control feature like perfect pass) 2nd antenna mod
3. XLX2 ESC
4. TP4070 or TP4080 (KV dependent on voltage you want to run)
5. SMC or Onyx lipos
6. Decent servo
7. Tygon fuel tubing over the shock shafts to limit the travel
8. Delta Plastiks FC100 body

Last edited:
Hey, at 16 I was a stupid kid that was literally doing nothing with his life. You at least have a good hobby and some sweet goals! That's worth at least several points in my book.

As to your 130 mph goal, and with respect to what others said in the forum all ready: don't make jumps in speed. Which means, don't shoot for 130mph as your first step. Make it something achievable to start -- shoot for 60 or 70 mph. Then work to 80. Then 90, etc.

Words of advice, as this will make it an overall safer process, save you money in the long run, AND make it more fulfilling. One big "130 mph adrenaline hit", even if you're lucky and it works, won't last as long or be as enjoyable as consistently hitting your goals and building the perfect machine.

Hey, at 16 I was a stupid kid that was literally doing nothing with his life. You at least have a good hobby and some sweet goals! That's worth at least several points in my book.

As to your 130 mph goal, and with respect to what others said in the forum all ready: don't make jumps in speed. Which means, don't shoot for 130mph as your first step. Make it something achievable to start -- shoot for 60 or 70 mph. Then work to 80. Then 90, etc.

Words of advice, as this will make it an overall safer process, save you money in the long run, AND make it more fulfilling. One big "130 mph adrenaline hit", even if you're lucky and it works, won't last as long or be as enjoyable as consistently hitting your goals and building the perfect machine.

Agreed, I like low cell running also because crashes are far less frequent compared to jumping straight into 6s or 8s running.

You can setup a car to be 150 mph on 4s, but start initially on 2s and 3s to learn the car and get it running straight before making it to that final goal speed. (but that is $$$ to buy other lipos)
You can limit the car with gearing or radio throttle limits, but doing it with voltage was the way I started.

Learning how to read the data logs and understand what it tells you will be part of this process too.

Last edited:
I had the VTE2 up to 146 mph doing low voltage runs and know it well.
You can get sucked into all the upgrades, but I know some guys who have had this car up to 160-170 with the original setup only adding electronics and wheels.
For example I never changed the diff ratios. The 3.3 diffs are fine till about 170 mph. Stock center dog bones are fine etc...

My setup was 2s 3s and 4s runs. (2s = 114 mph, 3s = 134 mph, 4s = 146 mph and that setup had another 10 mph in it)
Do you have a very very very good road to use? It will use up around 1500 ft at 130mph.

I know a "kid" that had dumped $4,000 into a limitless/infraction and has never been above 80 because he has no access to a good road.

My recommended setup would be:

1. GRP XX soft tires (must be balanced)
2. Flysky noble NB4 (using the throttle control feature like perfect pass) 2nd antenna mod
3. XLX2 ESC
4. TP4070 or TP4080 (KV dependent on voltage you want to run)
5. SMC or Onyx lipos
6. Decent servo
7. Tygon fuel tubing over the shock shafts to limit the travel
8. Delta Plastiks FC100 body
Sounds like me but mine have never hit the road. Lmao.

Got a single and dual motor ready to go minus good lipos. No one has them right now

Take it Slow.
Start with finding a Smooth, straight road. No traffic if possible.
I think I’ve found one that will work I think it might be on the narrow side but it should work for a while. Down where I’m at they don’t waste their time making roads smooth unless there’s a lot of traffic there’s a few that are good but it takes a bit to find them. I’m finding that the more I learn the more I realize I don’t know 😅

I think I’ve found one that will work I think it might be on the narrow side but it should work for a while. Down where I’m at they don’t waste their time making roads smooth unless there’s a lot of traffic there’s a few that are good but it takes a bit to find them. I’m finding that the more I learn the more I realize I don’t know 😅

Some times it may be best to tip toe into speed running before you dive in head first.
If you have a 6s car you might swap in the electronics and shoot for 90mph first and see how that goes before spending all that money on expensive speed run electronics.

If the road and traffic conditions are bad for 90 then forget about 130.

Everyone advising the good road are giving you the best advice. A good road is far more important than your rig, motor, esc, and setup. Without a good road, none of the above matters. Once you travel in the neighborhood of 100mph, every pebble, road dust, elevation change, or asphalt crack is a recipe for disaster. A good road makes the run, not the rig.

I figured I’d throw this out here. I ordered the car last Sunday from Island Hobby Nut and I have not received anything other than a confirmation. No shipping info of any kind. Should I be concerned I know I’m impatient but it seems like they would have at least created a shipping label by now

I figured I’d throw this out here. I ordered the car last Sunday from Island Hobby Nut and I have not received anything other than a confirmation. No shipping info of any kind. Should I be concerned I know I’m impatient but it seems like they would have at least created a shipping label by now

youre going too fast GIF

top gear shift GIF

No, they're solid. Don't sweat it. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them and, so far, everything has arrived. FWIW, one order was supposed to include 400mm SAGA battery straps but they sent me 300mm for which I had zero use. I contacted them via the online chat on their website and got some really dodgy replies that really had me questioning whether the person on the other end was actually reading what I wrote and I was a little irate, NGL. A day or so later I was contacted by someone else (who I do not know, he never identified himself) and asked what kind of car I drove. I told him what I drove and to make up for the shoddy support he sent me a set of titanium center drive shafts for my Infraction which was a nice move and set everything right again. They're good people, they're just a little slow sometimes on getting stuff out the door.

No, they're solid. Don't sweat it. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them and, so far, everything has arrived. FWIW, one order was supposed to include 400mm SAGA battery straps but they sent me 300mm for which I had zero use. I contacted them via the online chat on their website and got some really dodgy replies that really had me questioning whether the person on the other end was actually reading what I wrote and I was a little irate, NGL. A day or so later I was contacted by someone else (who I do not know, he never identified himself) and asked what kind of car I drove. I told him what I drove and to make up for the shoddy support he sent me a set of titanium center drive shafts for my Infraction which was a nice move and set everything right again. They're good people, they're just a little slow sometimes on getting stuff out the door.
Nice resolution! I've always said that every company is allowed an "off day" where they screw up royally. After all, we don't stop buying our favorite brands because one employee or salesman did us wrong, they are only a small part of a bigger picture. What truly defines a company is how they respond. You are either just another rube they already got money from or a valued customer to which they want to make things right with so they can get even more money down the road.

Yeah just call em up and in sure they can explain.

Back