Hsp Shocks for the blx lineup personal experience and pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run the 81003 and 81002 and they do work on the mega 4x4

hey man, you do NOT want the N. I have the HSP Front 81003N & Rear 81002N and they do not fit. From what I am reading ppl have made the 81003 and 81002 (no N on either) work. Including @Megasty and @caburnha (above in this thread). Here is the exact link Megasty posted. I may buy these bc modifying my Granite to make these 81003N/2N shocks work may cost MORE.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Sho...1002-142MM-1-8-RC-CAR-HSP-Redcat/302698868733
Thanks - I replied in the wrong fashion while trying to multitask... Got it.. do NOT get the N model. =)

IMO, the 81003N/2N shocks will fit on the granite. I have a set on my Senton build. It does require you add a small spacer to the bottom of the shock.

Attachments

• IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
You'll be better off buying them straight from Hobbyking:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/front-shocks-assy-basher-sabertooth-1-8-scale-2pcs.html?wrh_pdp=2

&

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/rear-shock-assy-basher-sabertooth-1-8-scale-1pc.html?wrh_pdp=2
The rear come as a 1pc so you'll have to get 2 of them. I used them on my Senton since they are really soft.

Hey @Megasty I’m still waiting for the rears to show up but I got the fronts in. They actually came with shock oil. Any idea what weight it is and what did you use for both front and rear?

Hey @Megasty I’m still waiting for the rears to show up but I got the fronts in. They actually came with shock oil. Any idea what weight it is and what did you use for both front and rear?
Mine had some yellow stuff in them. I replaced it with 45wt front 50wt rear.

Mine had some yellow stuff in them. I replaced it with 45wt front 50wt rear.

Awesome. What about the silver Redcat shocks (81002/81003)? Any suggestions for weight on those for my BRCC?

Awesome. What about the silver Redcat shocks (81002/81003)? Any suggestions for weight on those for my BRCC?
I'm running the same in them too. Those wt's are the sweet spots for 1/10s & 1/8s where I'm at in the midwest. So I buy them by the qt. I use 1000cst (~80wt) in my larger scales.

Well done and thank you for the detailed post... I will hold fire on purchasing these for my Granite. I am about to order the non N models and will post pictures in 4-5 weeks upon arrival.
Thanks.
The Non-N ones are the ones I just put on mine a d o still think they are a little long in the back.

The Non-N ones are the ones I just put on mine a d o still think they are a little long in the back.
Try using the stock springs on the rear. They're a definite improvement & will dramatically soften the shock up.

If shocks are too long... Can one just simply cut the springs to limit the travel ? Or will the spring fall out ? People used to cut springs in their real cars, right ?

If shocks are too long... Can one just simply cut the springs to limit the travel ? Or will the spring fall out ? People used to cut springs in their real cars, right ?

The shocks being too long has nothing to do with length of the springs. The shocks need to be disassembled and spacers put on the shock shaft under the shock piston.

I did put the factory springs on the rear and that seemed to help. Springs that come with them are way too hard for the rear.

It's not that simple. Springs are grinded flat on the top & bottom to be seated correctly. The suspension geometry actually limits travel. You can also add a bump stop on the rod end to limit upward travel. That will affect how the car bottoms out (how forcefully the chassis slams the ground). You usually want the wheels & the chassis to be on the same plain when bottoming out. If the wheels travel above the chassis plain, it can eventually wreck the chassis.

It's not that simple. Springs are grinded flat on the top & bottom to be seated correctly. The suspension geometry actually limits travel. You can also add a bump stop on the rod end to limit upward travel. That will affect how the car bottoms out (how forcefully the chassis slams the ground). You usually want the wheels & the chassis to be on the same plain when bottoming out. If the wheels travel above the chassis plain, it can eventually wreck the chassis.
Megasty, I like reading your posts. As a Noob, I wish there were more members like you. I am now following you.
I thought chassis-slap was healthier (to a point) than hitting bump stops to avoid wrecking the shock towers and other related parts?
I guess the point you're making is that it's a fine line where you want some slap but not too much.

Hello, today I bought these shock absorbers https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-RC-Car-Front-81003-123MM-Rear-81002-142MM-Shock-Absorber-1-8-HSP-Redcat/222916456624?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=521739395285&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 2pcs 142mm and 2pcs 123mm, I chose this because of the more gray black color, the dimension are the same like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Sho...1002-142MM-1-8-RC-CAR-HSP-Redcat/302698868733 ... they be fine for my granite blx?

I run the same in my granite and like them more than the stock shocks. I did swap the rear spring from the stock shocks and seems to be working great the rear spring on the new shocks was a little too stiff. They should be good for the granite they are longer than stock but take your time setting them up you’ll be good to go. Make sure to use your own shock fluid who knows what they had in there some yellowish stuff.

I run the same in my granite and like them more than the stock shocks. I did swap the rear spring from the stock shocks and seems to be working great the rear spring on the new shocks was a little too stiff. They should be good for the granite they are longer than stock but take your time setting them up you’ll be good to go. Make sure to use your own shock fluid who knows what they had in there some yellowish stuff.
Thanks for this.
What Spec oil are you using and what kind of bashing are u doing?

I was recommended a set of shocks for the Senton Mega or 3S. I ordered a set and i'm blown away by them. They are not as bulky as the HSP and came with the plastic fittings for the eyelets. They have progressive springs as well. If you still need shocks or are not happy with the HSPs as I wasnt, give these a go!

They are the identical length to the factory shocks and have 4mm shafts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-SHOCKS-W-4mm-Shafts-Fit-1-10-Senton-Mega-Silver/232991424372?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 72
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back