Had a lipo fire in the house. Sharing my experience for others to learn from

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again to everyone for the input on this thread; as I mentioned earlier, I'm new to RC and lipo's, and soaking up a lot of info here. Although this post is mostly about safety while charging, without hijacking the thread can I ask about how I should be storing my lipos? I know to bring them to a storage charge first, but I now have 6 2s and 3s 5200mah lipos, all sitting in a lipo bag, in an ammo can with the seal removed to avoid building up pressure. I know that won't stop the soot and smoke. I do plan to buy a bat box after reading this thread, but it seems like 6x5200mah batteries being stored in a bat box might be too much for it if they were to go up in flames while being stored, so I would use it only when charging, or to store just 2 batteries at a time I guess? Other than purchasing multiple ammo boxes (or lipo bags) and splitting batteries up in them, is there a better option for me to store them in when not using?

First of all, my family is safe and thanks to my wife for noticing the sounds of popping in the garage which was the lipo cells bursting.

I was in the garage doing some maintenance on my K6S and charging lipos at the same time. I finished charging some 3s lipos then I plugged in two 6s lipos to begin charging. Both 6s batteries were at storage charge (3.8v).

25min had passed and I was still in the garage working on my rig. I checked the lipos to see where the voltages were. 1 lipo was around 4.13v for each cell (seemed normal to me) and the other lipo was around at 3.85v for each cell (this should have been the warning sign) I thought “huh, that’s charging slow” and continued the lipo to charge.

I went inside the house to talk to my wife. 15min had passed and she noticed popping coming from the garage. I ran over and saw a yellowish orange hue bleeding threw the cracks around the door. Once I opened the door, I saw a fire spewing out of the lipo bag. I took a fire extinguisher and put the fire out.

Damage is minimal and glad we caught it in time. Lipo bag did it’s job and minimized the flame. Had thoughts of “this hobby isn’t worth the risk of catching your house on fire” as per normal in a situation like this but it taught me to be more cautious and I should have checked the lipo that was taking a long time to charge.

Definitely investing in a bat safe and to be even more cautious when charging lipos.

Was it my fault for the fire, yes. I should have done something when I checked the lipos.

anyone know what could have made the lipo not charge? Bad connection? I was using a Venom pro duo and charging spektrum 6s lipos which were 1 year old.

View attachment 193083

View attachment 193084

View attachment 193085

View attachment 193086

View attachment 193087
That sucks, glad you got it in time. I had a lipo go up in smoke on the front passenger seat in my car. I reached over and opened the door and threw it outside. This happened 10 minutes after I was all done with a speed run,and is why everyone should have a fire extinguisher with them.

Glad you're ok mate!! Let' me ask you a question who was the MFG of the Lipos and did you contact them yet?
They were spektrum smart batteries. What would be my reason to contact them? I thought about it but wasn't sure what my intention was.
Thanks again to everyone for the input on this thread; as I mentioned earlier, I'm new to RC and lipo's, and soaking up a lot of info here. Although this post is mostly about safety while charging, without hijacking the thread can I ask about how I should be storing my lipos? I know to bring them to a storage charge first, but I now have 6 2s and 3s 5200mah lipos, all sitting in a lipo bag, in an ammo can with the seal removed to avoid building up pressure. I know that won't stop the soot and smoke. I do plan to buy a bat box after reading this thread, but it seems like 6x5200mah batteries being stored in a bat box might be too much for it if they were to go up in flames while being stored, so I would use it only when charging, or to store just 2 batteries at a time I guess? Other than purchasing multiple ammo boxes (or lipo bags) and splitting batteries up in them, is there a better option for me to store them in when not using?

You are at higher risk for a lipo fire during charging. It is highly unlikely for a lipo fire to occur when it is not plugged into anything.

With that said, I now use my Bat Safe when I am only charging lipos and all my other lipos that are not being used (and in storage mode) are in a lipo bag and placed inside an ammo can.

It is much safer to only charge lipos in a separate container than where your other lipos that are not being used are used. So In the case of a lipo fire during charging, only the lipos being charged are damaged and the flame/smoke is contained. Whereas if you up placed your lipos you are charging in the same ammo box with other lipos, you are at a high risk of all those lipos catching fire and producing a large cloud of smoke.

Last edited:
Damn. Glad you’re okay.

I charge in a bat-safe and store in steel ammo cans away from anything flammable.

I also have a smoke detector mounted above the bat safe which is set to automatically cut power to the charger.

Can never be too safe.

The batt safe is an acceptable storage method as long as you are conforming to the standards for Wh each box is listed to. Given you have 6 batteries, even though some are 2s, you are probably over the limit they post. the standard box is capped at 222Wh. They say they tested it to a little higher but there is a video of someone testing it with a 6s 16000 lipo and it absolutely toasts it and flames are everywhere. That's 355Wh which is quite a bit above the listed standard but it wasn't close to containing it so somewhere in between is a tipping point and who knows what that is. I’m riding near the limit so I built the bunker around mine that’s in earlier post just to be sure.

The batt safe is an acceptable storage method as long as you are conforming to the standards for Wh each box is listed to. Given you have 6 batteries, even though some are 2s, you are probably over the limit they post. the standard box is capped at 222Wh. They say they tested it to a little higher but there is a video of someone testing it with a 6s 16000 lipo and it absolutely toasts it and flames are everywhere. That's 355Wh which is quite a bit above the listed standard but it wasn't close to containing it so somewhere in between is a tipping point and who knows what that is. I’m riding near the limit so I built the bunker around mine that’s in earlier post just to be sure.

If you are storing the batteries at a storage charge, is the WH limitation calculated the same? In the FAQs on the site (https://www.bat-safe.com/faq) they mention that if your batteries are "down", it's (probably) different then charging/storing full batteries.

If you are storing the batteries at a storage charge, is the WH limitation calculated the same? In the FAQs on the site (https://www.bat-safe.com/faq) they mention that if your batteries are "down", it's (probably) different then charging/storing full batteries.
the Wh they quote is just an overall number (222Wh for the standard box). how you add up your batteries load depends on what batteries you use and what charge you have them at, but you should always store your batts at 3.7 or 3.8 volts per cell. Not good for the battery to store it at a lower charge just to lower your Wh. So for storage you should calc your batts at 7.4 for 2s, 11.1 for 3s etc.... This obviously goes up when you charge, which is another reason its best to remove other batteries from the box during charging, and of course you should never store your batteries with more than 3.7-3.8v in it. if you are on the limit of your box's capacity while your batts are sitting at storage level, charging a battery will push your Wh above the boxes limit and i can understand the scenario that if you charge your batts fully for a run and put them in the box to travel to the track or whatever you have a slight risk that for a short time you are over your boxes Wh since the batts are full. charged batts are typically 4.2 so you'd be calcing your load at 8.4 for 2s and 12.6 for 3s etc... for that scenario.

Sorry for the questions, but I cannot seem to find the answer I need.

I was charging 6s 5500mah LiPos on my kitchen counter (while I sat there working on other things). I moved to a LiPo bag (still monitored on the counter). Reading about issues, and watching videos online, I have graduated to charging in the bag, inside the garage away from anything else, and when weather permits, it will be done out on the patio.

That said, I "storage" charge the batteries when not in use, place each in their own lipo bags, and place them in an ammo can (without a gasket). My garage never gets below 40 degrees (heater set at 40) but today it was -15 when we woke up outside so the garage was at 40deg. and probably slightly less until the heater caught up after opening the door a few times.

Is it better to keep the can in the basement warm? Or should I keep them in the garage? And would the 40 deg temp fluctuations negatively affect the long term life of the batteries? This thread confirmed I am now CHARGING better, but I am still undecided on the proper STORING method.
Thanks

a) you never want to store fully charged batteries. Worst mistake you can make.
b) the actual Wh is calculated based on the actual cell voltage, i.e. if it's at storage it's 3.8V or whatever your lipochecker/charger is telling you
On temperature, you can safely store at any temperature range that we have in the US incl. Alaska.
You only have to make sure that prior use they are above ~ 60F, that includes charging. Don't do anything with them below ~50F as a rough guide.
The only real thing to worry about below freezing is the silver wrapping of the Lipo, it becomes brittle and might develop small cracks if it is handled roughly.

Lipo bags are useless for these packs, they are only decoration or a make you feel good band-aid. They are slightly better than oil wrapped dish rags ;)
I literally have mine inside a plastic Tupperware container on some tiles. Keeps it neat and is fire safe (enough). I also don't have to handle the individual packs all the time. Naturally, they are not inside the house, garage would be ok.

Buy a cheap grill, ideal storage solution, just not smoke safe. You can store several layers of Lipos that way. Obviously, if one goes bad the set is done, but that is extremely rare, and you will win the lottery before that happens. The danger is during charging, not storing.

Last edited:
Roughly how many batteries will fit in a batsafe? We can use a 2s battery as a size gauge.

Roughly how many batteries will fit in a batsafe? We can use a 2s battery as a size gauge.
It depends on the dimensions of your LiPos. Here are the internal dimensions of the standard sized Bat-Safe: 9.5*6.5*4 inch / 240*165*102mm

I don't use 2s lipos, but I would assume you can fit 4-6 of them. Batsafes are rated to hold a max of 2x6s 5000mah lipos for it to do its job effectively.

First of all, my family is safe and thanks to my wife for noticing the sounds of popping in the garage which was the lipo cells bursting.

I was in the garage doing some maintenance on my K6S and charging lipos at the same time. I finished charging some 3s lipos then I plugged in two 6s lipos to begin charging. Both 6s batteries were at storage charge (3.8v).

25min had passed and I was still in the garage working on my rig. I checked the lipos to see where the voltages were. 1 lipo was around 4.13v for each cell (seemed normal to me) and the other lipo was around at 3.85v for each cell (this should have been the warning sign) I thought “huh, that’s charging slow” and continued the lipo to charge.

I went inside the house to talk to my wife. 15min had passed and she noticed popping coming from the garage. I ran over and saw a yellowish orange hue bleeding threw the cracks around the door. Once I opened the door, I saw a fire spewing out of the lipo bag. I took a fire extinguisher and put the fire out.

Damage is minimal and glad we caught it in time. Lipo bag did it’s job and minimized the flame. Had thoughts of “this hobby isn’t worth the risk of catching your house on fire” as per normal in a situation like this but it taught me to be more cautious and I should have checked the lipo that was taking a long time to charge.

Definitely investing in a bat safe and to be even more cautious when charging lipos.

Was it my fault for the fire, yes. I should have done something when I checked the lipos.

anyone know what could have made the lipo not charge? Bad connection? I was using a Venom pro duo and charging spektrum 6s lipos which were 1 year old.

View attachment 193083

View attachment 193084

View attachment 193085

View attachment 193086

View attachment 193087
Never one like that but I saw the carnage of a cell phone battery the other day and was amazed at the heat and electrical flames produced. Dangerous things these batteries r.glad everyone is alright

Depends on batt size but 2s you could pack in a lot but you got to keep the Wh below 222 to be safe. here is the only 2s lipo I own in there for your 2s size comparison. This batt would be 37Wh so you could put 6 in to stay below 222 and six would fit size wise
87894CFB-9A68-41BD-B00D-2DF9A3305446.jpeg

Thanks for the Wh info, hadn't seen that before. My storage AND charging methods will be much better after this great thread!

Depends on batt size but 2s you could pack in a lot but you got to keep the Wh below 222 to be safe. here is the only 2s lipo I own in there for your 2s size comparison. This batt would be 37Wh so you could put 6 in to stay below 222 and six would fit size wise View attachment 195950
Thank you for the picture to reference, much appreciated.

Are there any chargers on the market that have better safety features, like detecting any battery charging issues and stopping charging before it results in a fire?

I have one of these SkyRC chargers, I know know there's a max battery temp setting: https://www.skyrc.com/D100_v2_Charger
I might look to connect that charger up to my phone, and pc even, as I think you get lots more info about the batteries that way. Might help ID and issue before it gets out of hand.

Sorry to hear/read this, glad it wasn't more serious. Me being relatively new to lipo electric rc and reading through this I've gone out and bought a bat safe for charging and storing my own lipos. Thanks for sharing your experience and making me a bit more safety conscious!
£50 for a bat safe, peace of mind = priceless
Gaz

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back