GRP S7/XM7 still too soft, anything harder out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried the GT-Tarmac in soft (they only come in soft or super-soft) yesterday. Had to trim the front splitter a little bit but they worked nice.

Not the hardest compound, so they wear quick but they also don’t get as sticky as the XM7.
Makes breaking traction a bit easier, but I guess the 4985 1650kv also helped with that 😅.

What‘s your diff setup @BigP ?

Tried the GT-Tarmac in soft (they only come in soft or super-soft) yesterday. Had to trim the front splitter a little bit but they worked nice.

Not the hardest compound, so they wear quick but they also don’t get as sticky as the XM7.
Makes breaking traction a bit easier, but I guess the 4985 1650kv also helped with that 😅.

Has anyone tried the Powerhobby diablos ?
Haven't seen anyone post about them yet.
https://www.powerhobby.com/powerhobby-1/8-gt-diablo-tires-hard.html

I also expected the S7s to be harder than they are. They get tacky enough to pick up pebbles after a couple of minutes of running at 60F. I can’t imagine how the S5s could offer more grip without wearing down a lot faster. I get the impression that all of the GRP wheels are made for performance driving, and none of them are really optimized for drifting around. Someone could make a wheel with twice the rubber and half the grip, and I think it would be really popular with people that just want to slide around in a parking lot.
None of these tires were ever meant for drifting at all.
Never were. Nothing much to complain about.
Drifting requires money for tires. Smoking tires will trash them quick. Is what it is. Nothing new.
Hoons are always more $$ than GRP's. No matter where you hail from.
Much is trial and error. Try a set of Silver Hoons.
Running 8s gear for drifting is ludicrous. Also does not help. Stay with 6s gear if you just drift. The added weight of 8S gear will tear up the tires as well. Added weight prevents/fights drift. Lighter rigs drift way better. Increasing the power to weight ratio.
The surface type condition of Pavement, how clean it is, etc, whether it is cement or asphalt plays a big part in the wear aspect.

Last edited:
Nothing special, 500 Center, 100k Front and Rear. Still try something with Front and Rear, but car drifts very good (faster Servo, no gyro at the moment, probably will buy an external gyro for my noble nb4...).

Yeah Stock 6s (and with gyro) was fine and got me some nice drifts.
Max6 Combo is more brutal, more agressive, more reserves for longer/faster drifts, more smoke/tyre destruction if wanted.

Has anyone tried the Powerhobby diablos ?
Haven't seen anyone post about them yet.
https://www.powerhobby.com/powerhobby-1/8-gt-diablo-tires-hard.html
wow those look pretty good. I've had mixed results with power hobby tires in the past. I bought some phantoms iirc and I loss chunks out of 2 different tires. I've been running the grippers on my typhon lately and they've been great though. I might give these a chance the next time I need some new tires. I just bought a bunch of grps and hoons from that sale though.

Called pvc pipes 😅 or even abs
AKA Hoons
None of these tires were ever meant for drifting at all.
Never were. Nothing much to complain about.
Drifting requires money for tires. Smoking tires will trash them quick. Is what it is. Nothing new.
Hoons are always more $$ than GRP's. No matter where you hail from.
Much is trial and error. Try a set of Silver Hoons.
Running 8s gear for drifting is ludicrous. Also does not help. Stay with 6s gear if you just drift. The added weight of 8S gear will tear up the tires as well. Added weight prevents/fights drift. Lighter rigs drift way better. Increasing the power to weight ratio.
The surface type condition of Pavement, how clean it is, etc, whether it is cement or asphalt plays a big part in the wear aspect.
I tried 8s drifting never again . gets way to expensive real fast & the temps climb quick

Last edited:
Put it in a se, i run the 5687 in my on 6s and it's drifting like nothing. 8s makes serious black stripes on the road

Silver hoons is not that grippy to

8s GRP velocity S5
how fast they wear?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back