Gotta stay in shape

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll get there, just keep going.

Truth be told though if your actually trying to gain strength, the # of reps you do are completely pointless..

I used to do 50. Then I did 75, and then 100... I got to the point shortly after that that my body weight wasn't enough and I wasn't about to be doing a million push ups trying to get stronger. So I got a book bag and added 20lbs to it. Knocked it back down to 50. I did those till it got easy then I moved on to bench press. Occasionally I still do them but it's more for fun then fitness...

What I learned though and why I'm saying the # doesn't matter-

What actually matters is what's called time under tension.. thats what breaks the fibers up. Your muscles don't care how many you can do, that's ego. You want time under tension. You know, actually using the muscle group.
If you do 10 fast push ups, vs 10 slow. You'll notice your arms burn way more doing the slow ones. That's exactly what you want... go down twice as slow as you go up. Helpful trick.
Go for muscle use, not # of reps my friends. I don't even count them anymore. Just base it off how they feel...

Edit- also. If your trying to gain muscle eat 1 protein per body pound a day. Clean stuff. Chicken, rice etc. If you don't need the fats pay attention to them in your food..
I'm the other way and need a lot of fat also because of my metabolism being through the roof.
Yeah. After I complete my goal of doing 100 pushups in a row, I am going to switch to a different type of pushup that focuses on different muscle groups. But I am bookmarking your post for later 🤣

A pint a night of Häagen-Dazs, or Ben & Jerry’s works pretty good too…🤣🤫

Hell when I was on the river we could barely afford to feed me.
I ate 6 full meals a day then. Usually also had 2 shakes.
Only time in my life I gained weight. I went from 140 att, to 170 of pure muscle in 2 years of starting that gig.
Damn I miss being that strong.... with groceries costing what they do now I don't think I could afford that with the 4 kids I got now 🤣😂

Yeah. After I complete my goal of doing 100 pushups in a row, I am going to switch to a different type of pushup that focuses on different muscle groups. But I am bookmarking your post for later 🤣

Try inverted push ups. Get against a wall and do a hand stand using the wall to stop you if you cannot do a handstand.
You seriously up the weight at that point and use a whole nother group of muscles. Amazing exercise. Just don't break your neck. Work up to being verticle. More vertical= more weight your pushing up.

Only time in my life I gained weight. I went from 140 att, to 170 of pure muscle in 2 years of starting that gig.
Damn I miss being that strong.... with groceries costing what they do now I don't think I could afford that with the 4 kids I got now 🤣😂

Try inverted push ups. Get against a wall and do a hand stand using the wall to stop you if you cannot do a handstand.
You seriously up the weight at that point and use a whole nother group of muscles. Amazing exercise. Just don't break your neck. Work up to being verticle. More vertical= more weight your pushing up.
That is not going to happen for a while. I will work up to those by doing inclined pushups first with my feet on a chair etc...

Also need to balance enough to do a handstand🤣🤣

Dayummmm sir! You are the pull-out king over there! 😅

Obviously not, did you miss the 4 kids part??? 🤣😂
1715575031929.gif

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Great info! Is it ok to eat a big bag of Cheetos every night and not work out?
What about Fritos Scoops and a bowl of ice cream? LOL
We have Stewarts ice cream up here.. worlds best IMO. Ben n Jerry's ain't bad, but a pint just ain't doin it for me. If it doesn't come in at least a half gallon container, it's childs play, LOL. I don't settle for those sissy 1.5 quart containers either!!🤣🤣

Truth be told though if your actually trying to gain strength, the # of reps you do are completely pointless..

I used to do 50. Then I did 75, and then 100... I got to the point shortly after that that my body weight wasn't enough and I wasn't about to be doing a million push ups trying to get stronger. So I got a book bag and added 20lbs to it. Knocked it back down to 50. I did those till it got easy then I moved on to bench press. Occasionally I still do them but it's more for fun then fitness...

What actually matters is what's called time under tension.. thats what breaks the fibers up. Your muscles don't care how many you can do, that's ego. You want time under tension. You know, actually using the muscle group.
If you do 10 fast push ups, vs 10 slow. You'll notice your arms burn way more doing the slow ones. That's exactly what you want... go down twice as slow as you go up. Helpful trick.
Go for muscle use, not # of reps my friends. I don't even count them anymore. Just base it off how they feel...

Edit- also. If your trying to gain muscle eat 1 protein per body pound a day. Clean stuff. Chicken, rice etc. If you don't need the fats pay attention to them in your food..
I'm the other way and need a lot of fat also because of my metabolism being through the roof.
I definitely hear ya on the old "football" injuries, tho I admit I had no desire for scholastic sports. We were out doing Jonny Danger stuff, LOL. Getting hit by a car at 14 after raiding my parents liquor cabinet, or stealing golf carts from the local country club and dropping some hits of paper and bombing through the woods in the dead of night is how I ended up breaking my collar bones, on both sides. Nothing will throw your shoulders out of whack like breaking a collar bone and just carrying on like it never happened, trust me. LOL
As to the tires, no worries brother. I was just playin it up.. There's still some good options out there, I see Sweep racing and PromotionRC have some decent looking race tires. Most race tires are focused on cleanly prepped surfaces though I see, finding some with a bit meatier tread is the challenge I'm finding.
I'm trying to avoid the HH stuff too though.

Last edited:

I have a vest with sandbag magazines to add or remove weight I scooped off Crapazon a while back, it fits up to 80lbs in the Mag slots around the vest. At the ripe ole age of 49 my first set is 50 straight no added weight. Then I'll do regular earth pushdowns with weight off dumbbells on the floor for full chest extension. Love doing close grip, my TRI's burn off my arms. You are 100% correct too. Do more weight, less reps = MASS. More reps less weight = endurance. Do both, strong MF with endurance.

You have to eat protein like a FAT bastard if you want to grow mass. Lots of it! It can turn into another hobby and full-time job just to maintain, all depending on how much effort you put in and how much mass you want to build. Keep it goin MAN! (y)

And this is why I drive SCX24's! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
SCX24.. top speed 2mph? :ROFLMAO: C'mon thats an easy one push up, do one everytime you rollover, that should be fair 💪:LOL:

I'm trying to do 100 regular a day currently. Been doing for about 7 months. Max reps in a set so far is 35... I will start doing harder pushups when I can do 100 in a row😁

Reps are simply a result of the strength you've built with tension

Isometric pushups -holding a pushup position without moving, if you do them often in parts of the pushup that you struggle on like the mid-rise, the pushup as a whole should feel easier

Planks are also a great tension exercise

and whey protein is good if you want some protein isolate purely for your workouts

Back