Got my new ramp toy today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xjeepguy

Super-Secret Yarmaluthe
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
My new Stampede VXL came in today. Let's be honest, it's a Hoss. 100% a Hoss. But either way, I've decided to run this rig 100% as it comes out of the box, stock electronics, stock radio, the only thing I'm changing is the battery plug. People have stated that Traxxas electronics have improved, so I'll see how it goes. If I don't like it, I've got a Max10 setup and a Reefs Raw 500 to go in. I want to see how it compares to my MT10 off the ramp.

So far, it's actually a really nice truck. Seems really sturdy, and my only concerns are the driveshafts. I've had bad luck with Traxxas plastic driveshafts in the past, so I'll see how these hold up.

20240611_141648.jpg

NICE, I like the look, I think the wheel base is shorter than the Hoss?

Do you know if these come with the upgraded drive shafts and hubs automatically?

Us early adopter Hoss owners kind of got the ... on that one.

NICE, I like the look, I think the wheel base is shorter than the Hoss?

Do you know if these come with the upgraded drive shafts and hubs automatically?

Us early adopter Hoss owners kind of got the ... on that one.
I have no idea. I just watched a YouTube video on this truck when it was released, and it looked like fun, so I wound up getting one lol.

Sweet!! Congrats! IDK if they changed the driveshafts from the Hoss or not, but the Hoss shafts are decent, I think it's best to have spares on hand at all times. Order 2 sets now, restock as soon as you have to use em. They're cheap enough at least. I also wasn't a fan of the wheelie bar, I managed to snag a T-bone for my Hoss. It's pretty sturdy, but I'm confident if you can source the right material, a piece of cake to DIY. Nothing to the T-bone bumpers really, it's just I never figured out what material they were using.

Sweet!! Congrats! IDK if they changed the driveshafts from the Hoss or not, but the Hoss shafts are decent, I think it's best to have spares on hand at all times. Order 2 sets now, restock as soon as you have to use em. They're cheap enough at least. I also wasn't a fan of the wheelie bar, I managed to snag a T-bone for my Hoss. It's pretty sturdy, but I'm confident if you can source the right material, a piece of cake to DIY. Nothing to the T-bone bumpers really, it's just I never figured out what material they were using.
Yep, I agree, the wheelie bar is way too low. I'll have to address that.

I ran a 3s G-Ace LiHv battery, all the way to LVC, and absolutely nothing broke. I beat on this thing like it owed me money. Lots of hard hits, a lawn dart or two, some pretty big air, and lots of cartwheels. There's no other way to put it, it's a tank. The body has skidrails, so it still looks good, the tires were outstanding for what it is, and it's properly fast for such a small rig.

The only negatives are the steering servo sucks out loud, and the shocks are way too light. Problem is, and other slash owners can back me up, once you add heavier oil, the caps start popping off. Good thing I have a set of the GTR or GTS, or whatever they call them, shocks laying around from a previous project, that will likely find their way onto this rig.

First impression: this is the best experience I've had with a box stock Traxxas rig since my Sledgehammer back in the 90's.

Yep, the Hoss laughs at lawn darting too, loves it! LOL The Sledgehammer are awesome on soft ground, hard, not as much. They do wear like iron though. Glad you enjoyed it.
I did, very much so. I've been on a 1/10 kick lately. I love my large scale stuff, but sometimes it's just awesome to run these little guys.

It’s actually better than a Hoss. They updated a bunch of stuff: driveshafts, steering knuckles, rear hubs, shock towers, off the top of my head.

It’s actually better than a Hoss. They updated a bunch of stuff: driveshafts, steering knuckles, rear hubs, shock towers, off the top of my head.
I've been looking into it, and you're correct. Really explains the beating it took in stride. I'm really impressed with this little truck.

My new Stampede VXL came in today. Let's be honest, it's a Hoss. 100% a Hoss. But either way, I've decided to run this rig 100% as it comes out of the box, stock electronics, stock radio, the only thing I'm changing is the battery plug. People have stated that Traxxas electronics have improved, so I'll see how it goes. If I don't like it, I've got a Max10 setup and a Reefs Raw 500 to go in. I want to see how it compares to my MT10 off the ramp.

So far, it's actually a really nice truck. Seems really sturdy, and my only concerns are the driveshafts. I've had bad luck with Traxxas plastic driveshafts in the past, so I'll see how these hold up.

View attachment 372577
Well technically the Hoss was a Stampede.

The HD driveshafts are actually pretty good and the Extreme Duty shafts are supposed to be much better.

I need to hit up jennys some time to get all these nice new Extreme Duty parts lol

I am trying to figure out if I should just get rid of the hoss or upgrade it.. The stock shafts did not hold up to 3s.

Seems they recognized it as well with a 120$ upgrade kit..

View attachment 372577
Sweet ride dude.

So how did it compare to the MT10?

So how did it compare to the MT10?
I want to run a couple more batteries through it before I really start comparing. I also have to take into account that my MT10 is far from stock, so I'll be comparing it to when I bought it.

I have a Hoss and love it. I got the metal drive shafts front and rear. $80 a pair. Ouch. Your rig is killer. 🏁
I'm really digging it so far. I think I've decided to do this one up as a budget build. See how good I can make it, as cheap as possible, even the servo. But I'm not replacing anything, until something either breaks, or just isn't working well for the rig. I'll probably do the shocks, since I have them laying around, and the stock ones are just way too fragile, and way too light. Too much chassis slap.

Thinking about also picking up a Granite to throw into the mix and see how it holds up against the other two.

Back