Kraton Exb diff new gears problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanC1332

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Mojave
So I’m not good at searching on here but if you replace the planetary gear and sun gear are they suppose to be Grindy feeling? I had it all together with new diff oil got it all screwed back together and it was very tight feeling and when it did move it felt like the teeth were grinding a lot

Mine did the same thing and if I remember correctly I took it apart and found it wasn't all meshed up inside like it was supposed to be even though it went together correctly

Man I took mine apart, inspected, out back together so many times before I got it right and it didn't have the gritty feeling to it

This thing is pissing me off so it seems to be smooth but once I tighten the screws down it like gets stuck

I’m wondering if this one shim is messed up the other one on the bottom side doesn’t seem to have that little bow in it

image.jpg

I remember now, the bottom gear wasn't completely down like it's supposed to be which allowed the 4 above it on the sides to be up and not seated down correctly. But when you looked at it, it all seemed right. It went together correctly and all but made it gritty feeling once bolted together. I re-seated all of them and they dropped further down than they were the previous times, then once bolted together it was smooth as butter

I can’t figure it out everything sits fine but that one shim and going in a pattern with the screws it stays nice and smooth till once it’s actually hand tight then it completely locks up and I can’t rotate it

I know the 4 side gears and the plates on the back of them have to be a certain way, there was a youtube video I found on them that helped me out tremendously

I’ve got that thick spacer so it’s a open diff but the picture I sent is the bigger flat shim it seems like it’s cracked compared to the other sides

See it looks like it got punched out half way

image.jpg

image.jpg

I’ll check the planetary plates make sure they are right may have to use a magnifying glass to look at it lol

But I’m done fighting with it tonight it’s 12am and I’ve been awake since 1am soo better to start fresh before I throw something across the kitchen

Last edited:
I would recommend not reusing shims. Make sure the planetary is fully seated on the cross pin. Always dry fit and adjust shims as needed. I converted all mine to open with the aarma kit comes with enough shims and spacers for 3 diffs. If you are using the lsd plates the diff will always feel gritty.

It’s the v2 exb and my rear diff so it doesn’t have the lsd plates other then the ones on the end of the planetary gears. I’m running a over night experiment I got it tighten just enough that they spin without grinding and I have it upside down to see if it leaks thur the screw holes lol I want to play with it tomorrow and I don’t have a LHS nearby closest one that sells Arrma parts is 4 hours round trip so I’m gonna see if it doesn’t leak I’m gonna run just a pack thru it and order the new shim kit online and turn my center diff to open while I’m at it lol

It’s the v2 exb and my rear diff so it doesn’t have the lsd plates other then the ones on the end of the planetary gears. I’m running a over night experiment I got it tighten just enough that they spin without grinding and I have it upside down to see if it leaks thur the screw holes lol I want to play with it tomorrow and I don’t have a LHS nearby closest one that sells Arrma parts is 4 hours round trip so I’m gonna see if it doesn’t leak I’m gonna run just a pack thru it and order the new shim kit online and turn my center diff to open while I’m at it lol
I have had the same problem with my exb open diffs have just put 10k in the back diff and is still a bit grindy when put together I wasn't bothered when I put them together the first time with 30k in the back but when I went out with the car it wouldn't drive in a straight line so still trying to get it right. never had any trouble with setting the stock diffs up always smooth. it was a nightmare trying to get the mesh right on the exb diffs for me as well. will be out testing with the 10k in the back if it ever stops raining

Experiment failed so I ended up taking that one shim completely out and it completely tighten down with no grinding or feeling weird so F that shim I’m gonna tear it up later today lol

Last edited:
There has not yet been a single time that I rebuilt an EXB diff without fighting with it multiple times before it felt smooth enough to run. I’m just not tuned into those things yet. I hope I become so at some point, but I really suck at setting them up properly. I can get the regular diffs perfect every time, smooth as butter. The EXB’s…not so much.

There has not yet been a single time that I rebuilt an EXB diff without fighting with it multiple times before it felt smooth enough to run. I’m just not tuned into those things yet. I hope I become so at some point, but I really suck at setting them up properly. I can get the regular diffs perfect every time, smooth as butter. The EXB’s…not so much.
Yeah I don’t even want to mess with the actual lsd disk I’m gonna convert the center to open once I get the shim kit I haven’t tried the diff with the missing shim that’s in the pictures here but it’s smooth and it has a small shim still covering the o ring so we will see if I blow up a diff again but it’s all tight in the housing and mesh is well

Well it ran pretty well so I guess I’ll take it father in law is always impressed how fast these things are lol

Back