Typhon Evolution of the V5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MB401

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Active Military
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Typhon 6s
Well, this build has evolved into something more than anticipated...I would have posted some "before" photos but couldn't find any good ones on my phone. It started off as a stock Typhon with the intent of keeping it as close to stock as possible but that went out the window after about two packs through and I had a chance to see how it ran. Box stock this is a pretty impressive car but I knew I had to throw some $$$ at it - plus I couldn't help myself. I'm convinced I almost like the process of tinkering more than taking it out and beating it up. Anyway, I can't keep track of what iteration of the rebuild this is but here is a list of fun items I have added:

- TREAL Aluminum (Kraton) steering knuckles and rear hubs (to include all required stock Kraton parts in order to increase the width of the wheelbase)
- Ditched the rear dogbones for CVDs (GPM)
- Just Bash It front and rear 6mm shock towers (strength upgrade and in my opinion raw aluminum is the bomb)
- Scorched Parts carbon fiber top plate (not a performance upgrade but I like carbon - who doesn't?)
- Vitavon aluminum steering rack with bearings (didn't have any issues with the stock steering rack until I disassemble the front end and realized there was some drag from the bushings)
- Shift RCS RRS servo
- Hot Racing 25T servo horn/tie rod
- M2C servo mount
- SR6200 receiver
- TLR Chassis (no performance upgrade but I like the looks and it seems a bit stiffer than stock). I bought a Scorched Parts titanium chassis but decided not to use it since its a bit on the heavy side and I am looking to improve speed/handling and thought a lighter chassis would work better.

I included some photos of the new servo/mount combo since the mount just came in fresh off the FedEx truck and I did a quick mock up to see if the geometry worked. Much to my extreme happiness it is is basically spot on. The down side to running non-stock items (which I am sure most of you already know) is things don't always match up properly. The M2C was the second mount I attempted to use in an effort to not hack up the Hot Racing mount I originally purchased. The verdict is out on if I keep the aluminum hubs on the car...I am not a major fan of adding too much metal and prefer to stick with the stock since plastic is more forgiving. Still waiting for RPM to start making more components for the Typhon since I have used their parts on my cars in the past and they take a beating without failure. The verdict is still out on the receiver. I wanted the capability of using AVC if I wanted it, but I have limited experience with this technology and I don't know if I like it yet - TBD. Motor and ESC are still stock. Right now I have no issue with the stock combo but I might get the itch to covert to 8s (hopefully not). This build is going to be strictly for street bashing - I originally bought it with the intent of beating the "you know what" out of it, but I think I want to keep it as pretty as possible.

The Typhon is one of four "projects" I am working on but I won't mention the others since they are not ARRMA products and I am not sure if it is verboten to mention other manufacturers on this forum :)

IMG_9476.jpg

IMG_9479.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

This is an awfully nice build. Can’t wait to see it in action.

Back