Duratrax tires. What's What's your experience?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my research on getting tires for my DBXLe showed Duratrax/Louis tires weren't that great until they came out with the belted tires. They Hyper X 3.8's look like monsters and many on the DB fb page are running them with success.
I've had about three runs with my belted lockups and they are working great on my xmaxx ?.

After 4 or 5 3S runs.... Hope this works. Besides this I really like them.

Attachments

• 20200505_073127.jpg
    20200505_073127.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 143
Little surprised three of them started to separate. Glued forth for good measure.
Did you vent them? My MX28 Badlands did that until I vented the tires.

No, can you show a pic.... How many holes?
I did four holes around the center of the tread (every 90 degrees) and gorilla taped the wheel holes. This stopped them from ungluing every run. ??

Did you vent them? My MX28 Badlands did that until I vented the tires.
Even that didn't stop them from coming unglued on my Typhon 6s. I kept regluing them, but now one of my mx 28s ripped completely from the the side. ?

Last edited:
Even that didn't stop them from coming unglued on my Typhon 6s. I kept regluing them, but now one of my mx 28s rippled completely from the the side. ?
Yeah I only run mine on up to 4S. I’m pretty sure 6S is more than they can handle. ??‍♂️??

Yeah I think that did it. And the 15t pinion. What pinion do you use?
I’m running a 13T now but used to run 15T or 18T. Too much cogging on the higher pinions and it is too fast to handle for such a small rig. I run 15T on my K4S and that’s plenty fast too.

I’m running a 13T now but used to run 15T or 18T. Too much cogging on the higher pinions and it is too fast to handle for such a small rig. I run 15T on my K4S and that’s plenty fast too.
I might have to go back to 13t or 14t so that those 2.8 tires stay together. I just love the insane speed that the 15t offers. I'll probably slap the Kaiju tires on my Typhon and the heck with it. I have an extra set of those. But the problem is that they are almost impossible to find right now (the Kaiju tires). The Mx 2.8 are everywhere and I still have two good ones. Right now I have Mx 28s in the front and maxx 4s tires on the back because I only have two of those in good condition too. I hate it when that happens. I'll probably just pick up two more Mx 28s. Decisions decisions ??

I might have to go back to 13t or 14t so that those 2.8 tires stay together. I just love the insane speed that the 15t offers. I'll probably slap the Kaiju tires on my Typhon and the heck with it. I have an extra set of those. But the problem is that they are almost impossible to find right now (the Kaiju tires). The Mx 2.8 are everywhere and I still have two good ones. Right now I have Mx 28s in the front and maxx 4s tires on the back because I only have two of those in good condition too. I hate it when that happens. I'll probably just pick up two more Mx 28s. Decisions decisions ??
I love the look of the Kaiju wheels and the tires look good too. I would run a set of them if I had them on hand. How much do they weigh vs the MX28?

I love the look of the Kaiju wheels and the tires look good too. I would run a set of them if I had them on hand. How much do they weigh vs the MX28?
Not sure but they are way bigger though. They don't feel that heavy. I've tried them once and they do fit the Typhon 6S.

I don't know if Duratrax offers the 2.8 tires belted, but Louise does (MT & ST ones).
I've had the MT tires for aver half a year now, they work good and obviously don't baloon. They have an a little bit bigger diameter though compared to the non belted 2.8 ones.
You've had 2.8 MT belted tires for a half year? Which ones specifically? Are they nice and soft life the other Duratrax/Louise?

@Jasonkw

I've had the 2.8 MTs on my 2wd Stampede.
I've had Uphills on the Front (for size reasons, the belted ones are a little bigger than the normal ones) and Rockets & Cyclones for the back.

They are pretty nice. They are heavier than the stock ones, and they do give some nice grip (I personally felt that the normal Louise were grippier, but the grip was by no means bad). They are soft, in my opinion not as soft as the normal ones, but that might just be a feeling because they are belted, so obviously stiffer.

They don't balloon. Or at least I haven't seen them balloon, and the normal ones turned into pizza cutters on my P2de (3600kv, 3S, 19/86 gearing). Like seriously, I couldn't reach top speed with my old tires, it would start wheelying when feathering the throttle from a certain speed because of the balooning. I could however reach topspeed with the belted ones.
The only problem I had was that sometimes, the tires got pulled out of the beadlocks, but as they are beadlocks that is an easy fix with just unscrewing & tightening up a few screws. Also, they are not glued under the beadlocks, so I think if you would glue them AND put in the beadlocks that problem should vanish.

The other problem I've had was that they seemed to be out of balance. They would wobble at low speeds, but interestingly enough, this problem wasn't there at high speeds.

Thanks @tow_glinka ! They must have come out with belted 2.8s as Louise before Duratrax. It seems they came out with the duratrax version just before supply lines got screwed up. I had the chance to buy some but could find no reviews for the belted variety. I ended up getting the regular hatchet (cyclone) and am sewing them with fishing line. Kind of a PITA and I'm not sure how long it will last.

Howe much heavier? Have you weighed them? That was my biggest worry, along with them being too stiff. The ones I have weigh 6.15 oz / 175 grams.

I did four holes around the center of the tread (every 90 degrees) and gorilla taped the wheel holes. This stopped them from ungluing every run. ??
Still don't quite understand the physics of why this is a good idea... It stops the ballooning? I know it's good for water drainage but I usually don't run in water/rain.

Still don't quite understand the physics of why this is a good idea... It stops the ballooning? I know it's good for water drainage but I usually don't run in water/rain.
Even the air trapped inside has mass and will expand the tire when spun at high RPMs. Add in some sand or water and you have an instant tire blow out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back