Duratrax 3.8 Lockups or Six Packs on Typhon and Kraton, what is your thought or experience?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kracer74

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I have both a kraton and typhon V3 ordered. I’m building both of them fairly extensively. I’ve had several Erevos over the course of 7 years and I’m switching to Arrma after a lot of research and my disappointment with the Erevo 2.0.

Anyway, what is your experience with the Duratrax 3.8 tires? Am I asking for drivetrain problems? Do you feel these will be too much tire for big jumps, general bashing and backyard racing? I’m upgrading servo mount, servo, shock towers and most of the usual suspects I’ve researched. I’ll also be tuning the diffs.

Try the stock stuff maybe and then see what you want to do for tires imo.
I wouldn't expect drivetrain issues but guys here have noted the bigger Duratrax tires balloon. I like balloon but some guys don't. If it helps, this is all I've heard yet. And I'd do the Backflips on Kraton once stock blows at 6s.
Typhon6s I have the belted road dogs and some new extensions to run 2.8 badlands but not installed yet.

The problem with these tires is the weight and the tires inflate a lot too much.
It weighs more than 500 grams each tire.
Back Flip tires, 325 grams. By cons the Duratrax tires has a lot of grip, regardless of the terrain. (y):love:(y)

Duratrax tires are cheap and garbage. They balloon at any speeds above 20mph to the point that it’s comical. The rubber is thin so it will blow apart. Very similar to the e revo’s old talon tires in construction, meaning trash!

I wouldn't expect drivetrain issues but guys here have noted the bigger Duratrax tires balloon. I like balloon but some guys don't. If it helps, this is all I've heard yet. And I'd do the Backflips on Kraton once stock blows at 6s.
Typhon6s I have the belted road dogs and some new extensions to run 2.8 badlands but not installed yet.

View attachment 30167
Duratrax tires are cheap and garbage. They balloon at any speeds above 20mph to the point that it’s comical. The rubber is thin so it will blow apart. Very similar to the e revo’s old talon tires in construction, meaning trash!
Unfortunately, I got antsy and impulsef purchased of lockups, since I have duratrax lockup’s for a 1/16 scale car that work great and love them. I ordered them for Kraton and haven’t ran them yet. Definitely scares me a little from what you said. They are huge, and there’s about a 1/2” overhang of tire from the rim which looks like great ballooning potential. I’m not doing speed runs with them, but from your experience, do you think I’d be fooling using them for bashing? I could sell them easily if I leave them new in the package.

Typically I’d hit speeds of 30ish and will do jumps up to 10-15’ to flat landings or slight downsides. We have a golf course that’s been maintained but closed for a couple years to bash at, so rocks tearing tires shouldn’t be an issue.

The problem with these tires is the weight and the tires inflate a lot too much.
It weighs more than 500 grams each tire.
Back Flip tires, 325 grams. By cons the Duratrax tires has a lot of grip, regardless of the terrain. (y):love:(y)
I sold trencher 40 series because of size and weight. They were wrecking my axles and diffs. I’m getting backflips for sure. Thanks for your recommendation.

I’d ditch them, but at the same time I want to see if they’ve changed their rubber thickness since my experience a few years ago.

My e revo 1.5 loves it’s Trencher x’s, I do too. But got one problem involving the bec.

View attachment 30167
Nice looking car! Do you prefer 2.8’s on your Typhon? Do you have other sizes that you recommend for different purposes?

Unfortunately, I got antsy and impulsef purchased of lockups, since I have duratrax lockup’s for a 1/16 scale car that work great and love them. I ordered them for Kraton and haven’t ran them yet. Definitely scares me a little from what you said. They are huge, and there’s about a 1/2” overhang of tire from the rim which looks like great ballooning potential. I’m not doing speed runs with them, but from your experience, do you think I’d be fooling using them for bashing? I could sell them easily if I leave them new in the package.

Typically I’d hit speeds of 30ish and will do jumps up to 10-15’ to flat landings or slight downsides. We have a golf course that’s been maintained but closed for a couple years to bash at, so rocks tearing tires shouldn’t be an issue.
I'd run the Duratrax for sure. I like the balloon sometimes cause I really don't speed run on some of my vehicles and they look great for bashing. I've used six-packs on 3s and really enjoyed them.

Nice looking car! Do you prefer 2.8’s on your Typhon? Do you have other sizes that you recommend for different purposes?
I plan to like the 2.8 for Typhon but haven't tried the Proline yet. I have the road tires and the stock ones and some extensions and shims yet to install to cheapo truggify. When I get it done I'll know better and report. So far, I'm putting off so many upgrades and repairs until I get electricity out to my workspace. This is the busiest time of year for me at work and after March til October I'm pretty free and easy to play.

I'd run the Duratrax for sure. I like the balloon sometimes cause I really don't speed run on some of my vehicles and they look great for bashing. I've used six-packs on 3s and really enjoyed them.
Hmmm. I may have to try them. I got them already. haha. I also have 3.8 six packs as well that I can try. Which did did you like better?

I plan to like the 2.8 for Typhon but haven't tried the Proline yet. I have the road tires and the stock ones and some extensions and shims yet to install to cheapo truggify. When I get it done I'll know better and report. So far, I'm putting off so many upgrades and repairs until I get electricity out to my workspace. This is the busiest time of year for me at work and after March til October I'm pretty free and easy to play.
Have you tried any of the $20-30 Ebay road tire sets?

Have you tried any of the $20-30 Ebay road tire sets?
Not yet so I can't make a recommendation there. I've certainly looked at them though. Would be afraid to try on 6s without reviews but if I had a 3s rig that I wanted to run on the road, I'd probably pick some up just to test em out.

On 3s the duratrax will be fine. I was just referring to them on my e revo’s 6s. Maybe I was pushing them too hard at that voltage. Idk. But ballooning was way too much for me. Like saucers.

For meat on the street, ballooning isn't best for performance and most guys don't like it / try to prevent it. Since I'm relatively newb, the pizza cutters in the air on film make me laugh and I enjoy it. lol It's not only funny but I kinda feel like I get more air control trying to flip off of smaller ramps and jumps. Once I get more serious and get to where I'm blasting harder than I do now, I'll certainly do more to prevent the issue.
Speed runs kinda give me trouble when they balloon and much less control. I prefer belted at wot on asphalt. But when I'm showing off to somebody unfamiliar with today's RC vehicles and the power we have now, it always gets em excited. hahah I'm really a humble show off type personality and reactions are what I live for. ;)

Oh no, I need ballooning for the hardcore jumping I do. My Trencher x’s balloon just enough for me. I really hate ballooning because if it’s real bad (like the duratrax tires that I used on my e revo) they’ll blow apart. Not fun.

I purchased a set of six packs at same time I bought my Typhon. The only issue was poor gluing right out of the bag. Went through and reglued them they’ve been good for about a year of 4S and 6S yard bashing. They don’t balloon as bad as the factory tires did, pretty soft for medium compound and very little wear. We don’t run them hard on the street though. They also have tons of traction off-road and throw serious roost.

On 3s the duratrax will be fine. I was just referring to them on my e revo’s 6s. Maybe I was pushing them too hard at that voltage. Idk. But ballooning was way too much for me. Like saucers.
No this is normal for the Duratrax 3.8s, they all turn into dinner plates pretty much any anything over 4s. They need to either be strapped or unglued and taped on the inside.
I have the 2.8 Lockups on my Stampede 4x4 and on 3s they balloon quite a bit, but the rubber is not super thin it's actually rather thick, but it is really soft flexy compound, almost similar in feel to the Traxxas Canyon ATs except not made out of paper thin rubber.

I purchased a set of six packs at same time I bought my Typhon. The only issue was poor gluing right out of the bag. Went through and reglued them they’ve been good for about a year of 4S and 6S yard bashing. They don’t balloon as bad as the factory tires did, pretty soft for medium compound and very little wear. We don’t run them hard on the street though. They also have tons of traction off-road and throw serious roost.
Yeah the traction with the lockups is amazing, I have major issues with my Stampede 4x4 traction rolling.

I’m waiting for someone to make the perfect bashing tire for me. Medium esk compound, pretty good forward traction (but not too much like badlands) and pretty bad sideways traction (so if I floor it in a turn I can kick the rear out)

So far the closest tire to that is the proline Trencher x’s... I love them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back