Outcast Center diff fluid color

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy5586

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Outcast 4s
Took the center differential apart on my v2.5 outcast to top off the oil level and found the oil color in the diff to be very dark. This truck has maybe 8 packs ran through it. Is this remotely normal? Or do I have something internal failing already causing the discoloration? The front and rear differentials oils were still clear

It is normal.. the diff fluid will turn dark grey as the metal gears rub against each other while in operation.
And of course the center diff creates a lot heat as well.
Makes sense, the gasket also decided to blow a chunk out and cover the inside of the case with differential oil 🤦🏻‍♂️

On top of those gears being cheap, soft sintered steel...silicone is a poor lubricant for metal. As said already, it's completely normal. Par for the course.

For normal (non EXB - no LSD) diffs, I've been thinking about trying some thick, anti seize grease. Non metallic. No aluminum or copper formulas. Anti seize is way thicker than typical grease. Might provide enough resistance (viscosity/CST) to function like a thicker diff fluid, but with much more protection to the metal. Could possibly even be tuned by mixing regular grease in whichever diff you want to thin it out in. Just brainstorming.

Back