Building a rc track. Need suggestions please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCJones

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Fireteam
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Mojave
  6. Senton Mega
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Typhon Grom
  9. Vorteks
So i just started building a track. Want to run 1/10 & 1/8 scale on it. Open to any and all suggestions, tips, tricks of the trade, anything will help along the way as this is my first track build.

Thanks in advance!
IMG_4162.jpeg

build your corners up so they have a berm so u can rail corners not just flattrack make sure you have proper drainage u wanna have a platform to stand up so u can look down on the track with ease. allow for straightaway so you can actuslly open up the throttle and make it wide so u can have fun with your friends and last thing if you build jumps make them rounded so sometimes you can run your track backwards aswell. sometimes less is more 🍻

Looks sweet already!! How deep did you cut in? What a prime looking piece of property you've got for it. What's the soil like? I have been working on a track on my property for 3 plus years now. It's in the woods, has many large oak and hickory trees. 40 footers at least so even if I cut them down, I still have roots and stumps to contend with.. I don't have any AG equipment either so, that has made it a slow process. I see you have a nice green machine there to work with, oh man, I'm so jealous!! LOL. I agree with the theory of making it so that it can be run in either direction too. Keeps it exciting.

build your corners up so they have a berm so u can rail corners not just flattrack make sure you have proper drainage u wanna have a platform to stand up so u can look down on the track with ease. allow for straightaway so you can actuslly open up the throttle and make it wide so u can have fun with your friends and last thing if you build jumps make them rounded so sometimes you can run your track backwards aswell. sometimes less is more 🍻
Awesome tips! Thank you! Was planning for berms and rounded ramps for reverse course. Any tips on making the berms last?

I had to bring in clay for mine as the soil was mostly sand. Consider what Kind of track you want, short course, speed etc. It will always be a work in progress in the pursuit of "improvement".Consider jump placements and a nice tabletop. A high elevated drivers stand will be key in order to have the visual control of your rigs with a track that size. Most importantly, have fun with it and own the track, but do not let it own you! Been there.

Also consider how many will be running on the track at a given time to determine tracks width. I had to advertise with flyers at local hobby shops to gain attendance. Will you charge or pro bono? Consider liability issues these days also if you'll have strangers attending. Sad, but have to protect yourself. Regarding maintaining the burns once constructed, the cars have a tendency to help that as they fly around them and roost up dirt. ;)

Awesome tips! Thank you! Was planning for berms and rounded ramps for reverse course. Any tips on making the berms last?
ideally brother u sift your dirt get rid of rocks and pebbles then one your berm is shapped get it wet once your dirt is wet u can pack it in either with like a quad or packers or if need be with a shovel just smack that dirt into the ground. if you have water readily available always water your track before you rip it youll have way better traction way more fun and will hold your dirt in place better. water is def key

Sage advice all around.

Looks sweet already!! How deep did you cut in? What a prime looking piece of property you've got for it. What's the soil like? I have been working on a track on my property for 3 plus years now. It's in the woods, has many large oak and hickory trees. 40 footers at least so even if I cut them down, I still have roots and stumps to contend with.. I don't have any AG equipment either so, that has made it a slow process. I see you have a nice green machine there to work with, oh man, I'm so jealous!! LOL. I agree with the theory of making it so that it can be run in either direction too. Keeps it exciting.
Thanks for the kind words! Went about 3 inches down with a few passes from the tiller. Mean green does make things go a whole lot quicker!ad the basic layout done in a few hours. Got any pics of your progress of your track? would love to see your layout for some inspiration.

Man... RC Heaven. great work so far!

Work Quality GIF by MOODMAN
Thank you sir!

I had to bring in clay for mine as the soil was mostly sand. Consider what Kind of track you want, short course, speed etc. It will always be a work in progress in the pursuit of "improvement".Consider jump placements and a nice tabletop. A high elevated drivers stand will be key in order to have the visual control of your rigs with a track that size. Most importantly, have fun with it and own the track, but do not let it own you! Been there.
Jump placement is something im struggling with, also where would be a good location for a table top?

ideally brother u sift your dirt get rid of rocks and pebbles then one your berm is shapped get it wet once your dirt is wet u can pack it in either with like a quad or packers or if need be with a shovel just smack that dirt into the ground. if you have water readily available always water your track before you rip it youll have way better traction way more fun and will hold your dirt in place better. water is def key
Great advise, thank you!

Also consider how many will be running on the track at a given time to determine tracks width. I had to advertise with flyers at local hobby shops to gain attendance. Will you charge or pro bono? Consider liability issues these days also if you'll have strangers attending. Sad, but have to protect yourself. Regarding maintaining the burns once constructed, the cars have a tendency to help that as they fly around them and roost up dirt. ;)
Gonna be a private track for myself and my family so no liability issues unless the kids take a r/c to the ribs and decide to sue me lol

Last edited:
Love it!!! Looks awesome! My nipples are hard! 🤪

Great advice above too. (y)

One thing I found helpful......when building ramps and berms, make sure to wet it as you go, not all at the end. It'll be easier to work with and solid.

Here's my build tread from my track build a few years ago.

'Smilinbri's RC track build-Ridin' Dirty Raceway' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/smilinbris-rc-track-build-ridin-dirty-raceway.52483/

Good luck and keep us updated with pics and vids. Love a good DIY track build. 🥳😁✌️

Here's my aerial view. :D
20240606_184958.jpg

Love it!!! Looks awesome! My nipples are hard! 🤪

Great advice above too. (y)

One thing I found helpful......when building ramps and berms, make sure to wet it as you go, not all at the end. It'll be easier to work with and solid.

Here's my build tread from my track build a few years ago.

'Smilinbri's RC track build-Ridin' Dirty Raceway' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/smilinbris-rc-track-build-ridin-dirty-raceway.52483/

Good luck and keep us updated with pics and vids. Love a good DIY track build. 🥳😁✌️

Here's my aerial view. :D
View attachment 371229
Wow! now thats a track! Thanks for the ramp tip and also the track build thread (y) def gonna come in handy

So i just started building a track. Want to run 1/10 & 1/8 scale on it. Open to any and all suggestions, tips, tricks of the trade, anything will help along the way as this is my first track build.

Thanks in advance!View attachment 371165
Hell yeah..well your only limited by your imagination for this one, can't wait to see how it...pardon the pun...turns out. 🙃😆

So heres a quick update with a link to some track action. Got the drivers stand built. Been putting it through it’s paces before i lay down any ramps and put a layer of clay on the berms. Mojave 6s run on the track
Very cool. Nice stand too. I've been doin some research on that recently as I want a small one for my track.

Very cool. Nice stand too. I've been doin some research on that recently as I want a small one for my track.
Thanks! Was a weekend build with my sons. First time building stairs, challenging but a sense of accomplishment soon follows once complete. Heres a tip for your build: Use a ladder to decide final height before you start. I went from thinking i need 3 feet in my head to a final height of five feet after standing on the ladder and actually seeing the possible blind spots if too low.

Back