Best lipo battery for Senton 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but my situation fits the OP and I just want to confirm before I purchase since I'm new to the hobby. If I should do a new post please let me know, will do so.

I have the Arrma Mega brushed w/Mega 550 12T brushed motor that came with 2400 NiMH w/Deans; that battery seems to be dead and I already have a lipo charger for my RC truck (the mega is my sons) so would like to move his to lipo's. I usually believe that you get what you pay for - and I am using Powerhobby lipos in my truck. From a fit perspective, it sounds like either of the below will work; I'm leaning towards the Powerhobbys b/c I'm guessing they are better quality than these batteries that cost half as much?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371732640205
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184344144747

Any suggestions one way or another would be appreciated.

Also - does everyone actually put their lipos into a bag when charging? My balance cables are so short it's really hard to get them in there. I do store them when not using in the bag, and in a metal ammo box. Curious if I should be getting those batts in the bag when charging as well.

Just got a arrma senton 4x4 and wanted to extend my run time. I have a lipo charger just wanna know a good size battery to go with so i don't fry the esc.will
The mAh of the battery has to do with CAPACITY (How much gas is in the tank). The cell count, or the 's' as in '2s' or '5s' for example has to do with VOLTAGE, or how much 'pressure' there is pushing the power though the system (That is not proper electrical terminology, but I am trying to give you an analogy). The ESC in your truck can handle a battery with 50 mAh or a Million mAh. What you MUST be careful about is the CELL COUNT. I know that my BigRock can run on 2s or 3s. The ESC can handle both. But if I put a 4s (4cell) battery in there it will fry the ESC and or motor almost immediately, or at least in the first run. That is because I would be connecting an ESC designed to handle 12.6 volts max to a battery that is pushing more volts (a 4s or 4 cell battery will push 16.8 volts max. The higher the voltage, the more efficient your system will be, and in general, the faster your car will run as long as the esc and motor can handle the higher voltage. Your Senton will perform better on 3s (power and speed wise) than on 2s. SO I recommend a 3s battery with somewhere around 5,000 mAh. The reason for that is that the weight of a 3s mAh battery is about optimum for that truck. If you want the battery to run longer, you COULD get a 3s with 6,000 or even 7,000 mAh. The battery will last longer because it has more storage (mAh) but it will be heavier and there will be diminishing returns. 3s 5,000 seems to be the sweet spot for these vehicles
Sorry to revive an old thread, but my situation fits the OP and I just want to confirm before I purchase since I'm new to the hobby. If I should do a new post please let me know, will do so.

I have the Arrma Mega brushed w/Mega 550 12T brushed motor that came with 2400 NiMH w/Deans; that battery seems to be dead and I already have a lipo charger for my RC truck (the mega is my sons) so would like to move his to lipo's. I usually believe that you get what you pay for - and I am using Powerhobby lipos in my truck. From a fit perspective, it sounds like either of the below will work; I'm leaning towards the Powerhobbys b/c I'm guessing they are better quality than these batteries that cost half as much?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371732640205
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184344144747

Any suggestions one way or another would be appreciated.

Also - does everyone actually put their lipos into a bag when charging? My balance cables are so short it's really hard to get them in there. I do store them when not using in the bag, and in a metal ammo box. Curious if I should be getting those batts in the bag when charging as well.
The mAh of the battery has to do with CAPACITY (How much gas is in the tank). The cell count, or the 's' as in '2s' or '5s' for example has to do with VOLTAGE, or how much 'pressure' there is pushing the power though the system (That is not proper electrical terminology, but I am trying to give you an analogy). The ESC in your truck can handle a battery with 50 mAh or a Million mAh. What you MUST be careful about is the CELL COUNT. I know that my BigRock can run on 2s or 3s. The ESC can handle both. But if I put a 4s (4cell) battery in there it will fry the ESC and or motor almost immediately, or at least in the first run. That is because I would be connecting an ESC designed to handle 12.6 volts max to a battery that is pushing more volts (a 4s or 4 cell battery will push 16.8 volts max. The higher the voltage, the more efficient your system will be, and in general, the faster your car will run as long as the esc and motor can handle the higher voltage. Your Senton will perform better on 3s (power and speed wise) than on 2s. SO I recommend a 3s battery with somewhere around 5,000 mAh. The reason for that is that the weight of a 3s mAh battery is about optimum for that truck. If you want the battery to run longer, you COULD get a 3s with 6,000 or even 7,000 mAh. The battery will last longer because it has more storage (mAh) but it will be heavier and there will be diminishing returns. 3s 5,000 seems to be the sweet spot for these vehicles
Also,
If your going to play with these cars, you need to learn about how these batteries work. (I am assuming this information will help you, please do not be upset if you already know this). Lipo batteries are made up of individual lipo cells. a single cell lipo is 3.75 volts nominal, and 4.2 volts fully charged. They come as small as 100 mAh (Milli-Amp-Hour) to.... well a whole lot of mAh. So as you go from a single cell '1s' battery with 100 mAh up too a single cell '1s' battery with 10,000 mAh, the car will not perform any differently, except for the fact that the smaller mAh battery will be much lighter, causing the car to run... well, lighter. But the 100 mAh battery might only last 30 seconds, and the 10,000 mAh may last 10 minutes. If you want your car to run faster and stronger, you need an esc an motor that can run with higher voltage than 4.2 volts. SO then you can put TWO lipo cells together in series to create a higher voltage battery pack. A 2 cell lipo voltage is 2x 4.2, or 8.4 volts max. A 3 cell is 3x 4.2 or 12.6 max, and so on. ALSO! Do NOT run your car until the battery stops working. Lipo are VERY sensitive to being run down to where their voltage becomes lower than 3.75 volts per cell at resting state. You can do it, but you are damaging the lipo every time you do and you will kill the battery much faster. If you run them down too far, you will kill it instantly.
Get a lipo voltage checker for like $10. Test run your truck the way you normally drive it. Stop after 3 minutes and check the voltage. Try to determine how long it takes YOU, driving the way YOU drive to get the battery down to 3.75 volts. If it takes 6 minutes on average. Then set a timer for 6 minutes every time you run. At 6 minutes, stop and replace the battery.

Cheers

Last edited:
@Dead66 - thanks for the reply and all the info. As you mentioned, I'm just learning about the batteries and power, and there is quite a bit to digest all at once. I based my choice of the 2S battery on @crimsonfancy 's recommendation, after he specifically said to disregard his suggestion of the 3s battery for this truck. Also, someone later asked if it was true that a 3S would fry the motor and/or ESC of this particular truck, which led me to look up the ESC and find this site, which states a 2S is compatible, with no mention of a 3S: https://www.arrma-rc.com/power-systems/latest/mega

@Dead66 - thanks for the reply and all the info. As you mentioned, I'm just learning about the batteries and power, and there is quite a bit to digest all at once. I based my choice of the 2S battery on @crimsonfancy 's recommendation, after he specifically said to disregard his suggestion of the 3s battery for this truck. Also, someone later asked if it was true that a 3S would fry the motor and/or ESC of this particular truck, which led me to look up the ESC and find this site, which states a 2S is compatible, with no mention of a 3S: https://www.arrma-rc.com/power-systems/latest/mega
Oh My! I am SOOOO Sorry. I did not catch the fact that you have a MEGA Senton. I saw the word Senton and just missed the Mega. Your friend is correct. Do NOT use 3s. Your truck has a Brushed motor and a 2s ESC (Electronic Speed Controller). I have found these batteries to be a great deal and quite good. You could give these a try: https://www.amazon.com/Zeee-5200mAh...6&sprefix=zeee+7.4v+80c+3s+5000,aps,84&sr=8-4

Also. Once you get pretty good at running this truck and you decide you want more power and speed, give the 3s compatible trucks a try. WOW is the best way to describe the difference.

@Dead66 no worries man, I appreciate anyone who takes time to reply to people that are just starting out. I do actually have the 3s version of this truck as well, but the Mega is for my 8yo. I ordered some of the Zees with T connectors, I'll post back and let ya know how they work out. Thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back