Battery discharge advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny1202

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Outcast 4s
Hi guys,

So today I totalled one of my batteries, I’ve currently got it on discharge.

Am I ok to completely drain it then throw it in the bin?

Thanks.

IMG_8401.jpeg

I put my lipos on storege every time I'm not gonna used foe a least 2 days and been working for me

Some people submerge them in salt water after discharge to fully “kill” them. I’ve never done it. I enjoy piercing them and watching the ensuing inferno. I’m not recommending this process, your results may vary, void where prohibited, don’t try this at home, etc.
I will say that I’m surprised that there isn’t a push to recycle discharged LiPo’s given the cost of lithium.

IIRC there are places to recycle them if you're feeling super earth minded. They aren't very common I believe. As far as discharging, I believe the "safe" way is to slowly discharge down to 0.0v. Quickly discharging below 3v per cell has a higher likelihood of fireworks. There are a million ways to do that slowly.

It’s a hard case so if no cell puncture, degradation, or outgassing tape and send it.

Maybe don’t use it in an unprotected body application, I’ll buy the shipping it if you don’t want to risk.

Some people submerge them in salt water after discharge to fully “kill” them. I’ve never done it. I enjoy piercing them and watching the ensuing inferno. I’m not recommending this process, your results may vary, void where prohibited, don’t try this at home, etc.
I will say that I’m surprised that there isn’t a push to recycle discharged LiPo’s given the cost of lithium.
U know I've been kinda thinking about trying a 6.5 creedmoor round through one for science 🤔 😏 😅

Back