Batteries: soft case vs hard case

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
I typically buy whatever the best deal is so I have both. Bought one from Amazon that is soft case with clear wrap so you can see the cells. I noticed after just a few runs the cells have dents in the outer layer, Im assuming from rocks and debris or maybe the battery tray.
1000006846.jpg

My other soft case batteries have black wrap around the cells. I don't know if this is normal and I just cant see it through the black wrap on the others or if this is not normal.
I don't know how much it takes to puncture a cell, but I'd like to not find out the hard way and have one burn up a rig. Does that look normal? Or is that bad?

I figure a hard case is better protection, but makes it hard to tell when they get puffy so still not sure which is the better option. 🤔

Sadly, I think you have have already punctured that pack?

I like soft case, easier to see what's going on. I have some thin foam that helps, some people swear by yoga mat material.

Batt pucture.jpg

Yikes, I've only run it 5 or 6 times doing regular stuff, nothing out of the ordinary. The part with the dents is the top of the pack when its strapped in so it gets exposed, yoga mat or padding wouldn't have made a difference there. Unless maybe I wrap the entire battery? But would that make the battery get too hot if it can't vent heat through the protective layer?

Interesting, on mine those are the sides and the "wrap" that goes from top to bottom are a thicker plastic 🤔.

Yoga mat helps prevent rocks, dirt and what ever else from getting under the lipo. And protects from a hardcase lipo cracking the chassi and soft case lipo on hard landings,

You can always buy this I found it on Amazon. Just make sure the ends are tight to the lipo so no dirt or small rocks can get in.
17189312896817736613315940300486.jpg

17189314959815035456237634416214.jpg
17189315236096980558483015513041.jpg
17189315385742461284605665772780.jpg
17189315626541114586551542279495.jpg

17189316428812476052231580984075.jpg

Last edited:
Yoga mat helps prevent rocks, dirt and what ever else from getting under the lipo. And protects from a hardcase lipo cracking the chassi and soft case lipo on hard landings,

You can always buy this I found it on Amazon. Just make sure the ends are tight to the lipo so no dirt or small rocks can get in.View attachment 374607

View attachment 374608View attachment 374609View attachment 374610View attachment 374611

View attachment 374612
Never seen that before. Is it like giant, heavy duty shrink wrap? What a good idea!

Never seen that before. Is it like giant, heavy duty shrink wrap? What a good idea!
That's exactly what it is thickđź’©

The best soft wrap made is gorilla tape, I highly recommend it.
If the lipo goes bad you can cut this off and the lipo looks brand new for warranty replacement.

The stuff seems to go from .05mm before and after heating to shrink it, then seems to measure 1mm still soft and flexible.

Last edited:
I concur. I will be ordering that jiffy quick...
*I had a brand new soft sided 4 cell a few years back and on it's very first run I hit the curb and punctured the side of it. If I had this stuff, it may have had a chance.

I concur. I will be ordering that jiffy quick...
*I had a brand new soft sided 4 cell a few years back and on it's very first run I hit the curb and punctured the side of it. If I had this stuff, it may have had a chance.
I've had a soft case move enough in my Notorious to get a small scrape from the spur gear. Didn't damage it to a loss. I wrapped it in heat resistant cloth tape & it's been good. The shrink wrap looks like a good alternative. I've always made sure the velcro straps are extra tight since.

Don't know. Doesn't look as good as the NIDICI clear shrink wrap above, but I didn't find it available on Amazon. But here's
https://www.amazon.com/MECCANIXITY-...1599429c0b2d3a08a2843b9d48ea39b9&gad_source=1
I can't find the stuff either I even went to NIDIC and nothing on the website.
I guess start reading reviews to get an idea of what's best. And if what you get is thin double up.

I can't find the stuff either I even went to NIDIC and nothing on the website.
I guess start reading reviews to get an idea of what's best. And if what you get is thin double up.
Just found it on my Amazon account and no longer sold. I bought it April 2021.

Last edited:
I find a good quality fiber tape works well too. I have a couple packs completely wrapped in it. The bad thing about the protective wraps is it doesn't prevent little rocks from entering on the ends, the tape solves that problem.

Sadly, the foil used in the lithium pouches is not very strong, especially when considering how squishy the cells are.

Last edited:
Out of the clear and colored lipo shrink tube. I'd try the clear,I figure lipo company's never use clear always colored and is thin.

I inspected the battery closer and don't think its punctured, the lighting is pretty tricky because it does appear punctured from certain angles due to lighting. But a bright light while inspecting from multiple angles shows what appears to be a slight puncture as being a very small crease.

Bought shrink wrap to help protect:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DYX7BX2?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Also got some adhesive backed 1/16 thick neoprene padding to line the battery boxes with. Used this stuff in the past for car stereo installs, really sticky and easy to apply.https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09Z2364LQ?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Sadly, I think you have have already punctured that pack?

I like soft case, easier to see what's going on. I have some thin foam that helps, some people swear by yoga mat material.

View attachment 374587

If he punctured the pack he would know

Fire Elmo GIF

After my son exploded a battery in the kitchen sink washing it with hot water, I'm skittish about taking a heat gun anywhere near one.

I use soft case lipo's only because I can't seem to get hard case ones in 6s that fit

Back