Anyone use the Metabo Screwdriver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 12v DeWalts (and maybe some other brands) with 1/4" quick chuck are really great, they're much smaller and lighter than you may be thinking. Also the clutch works perfect for even driving into plastic. It's been a real treat for me I don't even remember the last time I charged it.

I've used several different mini handheld ones and they were all too slow and had lousy or no clutch. Maybe they've gotten better idk.

PXL_20230306_022404449.jpg

The 12v DeWalts (and maybe some other brands) with 1/4" quick chuck are really great, they're much smaller and lighter than you may be thinking. Also the clutch works perfect for even driving into plastic. It's been a real treat for me I don't even remember the last time I charged it.

I've used several different mini handheld ones and they were all too slow and had lousy or no clutch. Maybe they've gotten better idk.

View attachment 283386
I have the newer version of that! Christmas gift from the parents. I love it.

Never used that brand. I use snap on, harbor freight Bauer and dewalt. Dewalt is the best, snap on close second. Not disappointed with the Bauer ones either for $14 each.
EFD9DA5F-6007-428E-BAE1-1769719DC759.jpeg

And I use this for taking wheel nuts off but not putting back on.
B4E0C906-CF2D-4F54-AB4C-C3B533FAD035.jpeg

I‘ve never used that screwdriver, but I’ve used many Metabo tools and they make really good stuff, but pricey. We used Metabo 7” grinders almost exclusively and they were pretty much bullet-proof beasts.

Following, also looking for a smaller driver with a lighter clutch for plastic.

M18 Milwaukee is great but clutch is a bit strong.

View attachment 283386
That’s more like what I was looking for. I have a smaller DeWalt 12v drill, but it’s still a bit bigger than I wanted.

Is that the 12v impact..?
I‘ve never used that screwdriver, but I’ve used many Metabo tools and they make really good stuff, but pricey. We used Metabo 7” grinders almost exclusively and they were pretty much bullet-proof beasts.
Yes, exactly Metabo (hitachi) makes really nice stuff. Local box store(s) don’t carry it any more (at least here), so can’t see it first hand.

Never used that brand. I use snap on, harbor freight Bauer and dewalt. Dewalt is the best, snap on close second. Not disappointed with the Bauer ones either for $14 each.
View attachment 283387
And I use this for taking wheel nuts off but not putting back on.
View attachment 283388
I like that DeWalt, but the current versions seem to be “gyro” based on the movement of your wrist.

I couldn’t find a DeWalt for old fashioned “trigger” version.
12v Max DCF610.
Well s*%t, how the hell did I miss this - lol. That’s pretty much what I’ve been looking for!!

Every search brings up that gyro based thing which was a deal breaker for me.

DeWalt is my preference as I already have a ton of batteries/chargers, etc.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
I like that DeWalt, but the current versions seem to be “gyro” based on the movement of your wrist.

I couldn’t find a DeWalt for old fashioned “trigger” version.
It has a trigger, then you move your wrist to initiate a slow turn...move further for faster. Weird at first but now I love it!

Yes I have the Metabo/Hitachi, I prefer the screwdriver shaped ones rather than the pistol grip style that has your hand 90 degrees to the direction of the screw.

Comes with 2 batteries, great high quality screwdriver. Only downside is that it's pretty long.

Been looking for a power hex driver and I’m usually a DeWalt or Milwaukee guy. Neither of those options seemed to fit what I wanted.

I found the Metabo, and that seems to fit what I’m looking for. Anyone use this, any feedback?

https://www.amazon.com/Metabo-HPT-D...ocphy=9026838&hvtargid=pla-613443633829&psc=1
I have that exact one. I bought I primarily to use on the trucks. I love that it has a clutch and I leave it set to 1 or 2 to not strip anything. I love it! It comes with 2 batteries and I feel that last a good about of time. I like that you can manually loosen or tighten screws as the chuck will auto lock.

It was weird at first. But now it’s hard to go back. That gyro driver has been a game changer for me.
That sounds like some fancy tech that would runaway from me and strip all my screws :LOL:
I have this one and it is great for the 1/8th scale stuff.
Have you found the clutch to be light enough on the lowest settings for plastic?

That sounds like some fancy tech that would runaway from me and strip all my screws :LOL:
Well you’d be wrong. The more you twist your wrist the faster it goes and the more torque it has. It’s weird for a few minutes. Doesn’t take months to learn.

I don't understand why people get so hung up on the clutch? I don't even use mine. Constantly changing the setting when I do try and use it. Whenever it gets a little snug I slow down or stop and hand tighten.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back