Typhon Anybody make silicone, resin or fiberglass molds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Have thought about different ways to have a Typhon body that fits a Kraton or Fireteam length rig. I know my idea will cost more money, time and effort than using existing options, but short days and rainy weather are only about 8 weeks away here in the PNW and I need things to do indoors.

I used to get into car stereo installs pretty heavily, did custom dash panels and door speaker trims for aftermarket component speakers. Was about to get started in making custom fiberglass subwoofer boxes when I relocated, changed work and started spending about 90% less time driving, lol. Still got an interest in doing some custom shaped stuff for hobby purposes, making my own body seems like a relatively easy way to make a first attempt and see how I like it.

My thoughts were to make a mold on top of the Typhon body so that it is a little bigger. Work to smooth out the material to a nice and even thickness so it is essentially a few mm larger all the way around vs the stock typhon body. Not sure how hard any of these materials would be to stretch once heated. If that is doable, I would mostly want to add length to the stock Typhon body. That could be done possibly by stretching the first mold, then thermoforming polycarbonate over it to create a body. The other option would be to create an additional mold of the back 2-4 inches of the Typhon body(depending on desired length), then glue that to the back of the main mold, then thermoforming polycarbonate over the longer mold to create a body that would be the right length to fit whichever chassis is chosen, Kraton or Fireteam.

Any input is appreciated!

Without a CNC I don't see how you're going to make a custom blank. A cheater way would be to use two bodies to make one extended body. Do all the connecting on the outside of the body then fill it with plaster, use mold release. The seam between the two halfs will be a raised ridge, just sand it off. You now have a mold.

The Simplest way >
is to literally cut the stock body that you want -in half ,at a logic section- and design & make a little extension to take up the gap-page..

And form a new shell over that modified 'plug'..

The Simplest way >
is to literally cut the stock body that you want -in half ,at a logic section- and design & make a little extension to take up the gap-page..

And form a new shell over that modified 'plug'..
Your right, making a separate mold is unnecessary. Had thought about filling a rectangular storage bin with resin and pressing a Typhon body into it as a way to make a mold but the stock body with an extension from another body would be more accurate and less work, materials, etc
Will a Team Corally Asuga body fit?
Asuga wheelbase is 14.6 so yes, that would work on the Kraton chassis and leave a smaller gap on the FT chassis. 👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back