4s Pivot balls, composite or metal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny1202

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Outcast 4s
do people swap out worn pivot balls with stock composite ones? Or is it worth upgrading to metal ones? Would metal ones wear other components or is it a worth while fix?

I realise I’ve probably over tightened certain components which hasn’t helped? Maybe maybe not?

Cheers guys.

do people swap out worn pivot balls with stock composite ones? Or is it worth upgrading to metal ones? Would metal ones wear other components or is it a worth while fix?

I realise I’ve probably over tightened certain components which hasn’t helped? Maybe maybe not?

Cheers guys.
Plastic ones arent terrible on the 4s cars, as they are bigger than the ones used on the 3s cars and last a little longer., you just need to swap them every few months, not too expensive.
But metal ones will last much much longer, but don't use aluminium ones, which wears out almost just like the plastic ones

I run the Associated 81398 steel balls in all my 3s/4s. These things will outlast anything you can throw at them. Downside is that the initial investment is expensive at $11 for 4 pieces (you'll need three packs per vehicle).

They snap in tight and stay tight... not like those red Hot Racing units that start tight-ish and loosen after 3 runs.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-associated-rc8b3.1-shouldered-turnbuckle-balls-4-asc81398/p661961
Wicked mate, thanks 👍🏼

I run the Associated 81398 steel balls in all my 3s/4s. These things will outlast anything you can throw at them. Downside is that the initial investment is expensive at $11 for 4 pieces (you'll need three packs per vehicle).

They snap in tight and stay tight... not like those red Hot Racing units that start tight-ish and loosen after 3 runs.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-associated-rc8b3.1-shouldered-turnbuckle-balls-4-asc81398/p661961
I'm 90% sure that the v2 of the 4s cars use a different balls. the 3s cars share the balls only with the older 4s cars, so i don't think thtat the assciated part will fit the newer cars

I'm 90% sure that the v2 of the 4s cars use a different balls. the 3s cars share the balls only with the older 4s cars, so i don't think thtat the assciated part will fit the newer cars
Incorrect. I have them installed on two Big Rock 3s, an Infraction 3s, and Kraton 4s. All purchased new within the last 8-9 months.

Metal>plastic alllllllll day. Zero downside. 🤙
There is definitely a downside. Once you switch to metal pivot balls, the rod ends wear down faster. Worn down rod ends eventually snap and have ended many runs for me.

I’ve been using metal, but just recently decided to try plastic again. Pivot balls are very easy to replace. Rod ends are more of a pain. A worn down/broken pivot ball does not end a run. You may not even notice a broken pivot ball until you do some maintenance. If my rod ends last longer, I think plastic may be better.

We will see if I’d rather replace rod ends or pivot balls and if I want to go back to metal. But I think there are pros and cons to both.

Last edited:
There is definitely a downside. Once you switch to metal pivot balls, the rod ends wear down faster. Worn down rod ends eventually snap and have ended many runs for me.

I’ve been using metal, but just recently decided to try plastic again. Pivot balls are very easy to replace. Rod ends are more of a pain. A worn down/broken pivot ball does not end a run. You may not even notice a broken pivot ball until you do some maintenance. If my rod ends last longer, I think plastic may be better.

We will see if I’d rather replace rod ends or pivot balls and if I want to go back to metal. But I think there are pros and cons to both.

I disagree eleventybillion%. Rod ends are “consumables”, are CHEAP, and should ALWAYS be on hand when you’re running. Steel pivot balls wearing rod ends faster?? Disagree there too, lol. That “broken pivot ball” that doesn’t “end a run” will absolutely ruin the rod end… To each their own buddy. Have fun. 🤙

Pivot balls around $.50. Rod ends around $.75. Pivot balls are cheaper. Easier to have on hand. Definitely easier to replace.

Metal will absolutely wear down whatever it is rubbing against faster than plastic will. Metal is harder.

I haven’t noticed any damage to rod ends after breaking a pivot ball during a run.

Last edited:
Pivot balls around $.50. Rod ends around $.75. Pivot balls are cheaper. Easier to have on hand. Definitely easier to replace.

Metal will absolutely wear down whatever it is rubbing against faster than plastic will. Metal is harder.

I haven’t noticed any damage to rod ends after breaking a pivot ball during a run.
Has not a thing to do with hardness, has to do with surface finish. Find me a race/kit grade surface RC that runs plastic pivot balls; I’ll wait… You also won’t find ANY 1/8 scale kit with inferior plastic pivot balls, because they’re simply cheap, and light duty. There’s not a thing you can say that will win me over on plastic pivot balls over proper steel units. The most tried, and true design period is steel balls, with plastic (CONSUMABLE) rod ends. This is not a cheap hobby, and it’s about durability, and reliability. Contrary to what you believe over there; PLASTIC rod ends are meant to be replaced as a ROUTINE maintenance item, and always have been in the 35yrs I’ve been in this hobby. Run what you want, but you can give up on winning me over to inferior products, and completely backward thinking. 🤷🏻‍♂️

lol. Yeah those plastic pivot balls have a crazy coefficient of friction don’t they? I think just picking one up tore all the skin from my fingers.

I have news for you, plastic vs metal pivot balls makes ZERO difference in performance, especially in the 3s line. I guarantee if I give you one Arrma with metal and another with plastic you will NEVER be able to tell by driving. So what’s your definition of superior product? Just because more expensive vehicles have it? If it makes zero performance difference in YOUR rig, how is it superior?

So it all comes down to cost and durability. Metal pivot ball last longer than plastic but wear down rod ends faster. Metal pivot balls cost considerably more. Pivot balls are SO much easier to replace than rod ends.

Racers don’t have to worry about wearing down the rod ends in the course of a race. But if a pivot ball were to crack, that would be bad. So of course they choose metal. Also, bigger, heavier rigs may crack plastic pivot balls more often, if so metal may be better for larger rigs.

So which is more convenient and/or cost efficient for us 3s Arrma bashers? We’ll see. I used metal for 3 years. I broke lots of rod ends. We’ll see how much switching to plastic helps or if I prefer metal.

Last edited:
lol. Yeah those plastic pivot balls have a crazy coefficient of friction don’t they? I think just picking one up tore all the skin from my fingers.

I have news for you, plastic vs metal pivot balls makes ZERO difference in performance, especially in the 3s line. I guarantee if I give you one Arrma with metal and another with plastic you will NEVER be able tell by driving. So what’s your definition of superior product? Just because more expensive vehicles have it? If it makes zero performance difference in YOUR rig, how is it superior?

So it all comes down to cost and durability. Metal pivot ball last longer than plastic but wear down rod ends faster. Metal pivot balls cost considerably more.

Racers don’t have to worry about wearing down the rod ends in the course of a race. But if a pivot ball were to crack, that would be bad. So of course they choose metal. Long term durability of rod ends is not a concern.

So which is more convenient and/or cost efficient for us regular bashers? We’ll see. I used metal for 3 years. I broke lots of rod ends. We’ll see how much switching to plastic helps or if I prefer metal.

Your 30ft sends are what is killing your parts guy… think what you want, done wasting my time with you.

Back