Kraton The best 1/16 you've never heard of (build thread)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

Reaction score
IMG_0160.png

Okay, I caved on the new body shell style of the Suchiyu SCY 16xxx / JJRC Qxxx / ZLL SG / JMRC Cheetah / Teeggi / HK TEC / FUUY 1/16 platform.

This is the JJRC C8805.
We already have the SCY 16102 pro in the household, which is basically the same thing, but this one has an easy motor access cover and metal steering hubs.
The SCY is essentially bulletproof outside of the body mounts being weak and needing oil shocks out of the box. Rear dogbones can bend if you collide with a vorteks at 30-40mph (ask me how I know xD)

I’ll be “trickle-feeding” my build info over the next few days as I make part choices.

I think that I will be getting a max10 60a in there and using a brand new turbo racing p32 transmitter that is on the way. The stock motor config allows for 50mph on 3s, so I’m leaving that the way it is. Not touching steering or drivetrain outside of filling oils. More info to come tomorrow!

Last edited:
IMG_0194.jpeg

Got these beautiful oil shocks done today.
HBX 16HOP1 shocks for the 1/16 scale hbxs, with the longer plastic rod ends from the 16890sa. Running WLtoys 124017 F/R springs respectively.
I've tried 35wt, 50, and now I've got 90wt in these shocks. They are finally at a place where I'm feeling they're going to be enough for a 1/16 on a heavy 3s batt and electronics.

I'm looking for some kind of protection for these. I've run them before, and two of four got super mucky oil (probably in the rear). Would twisting balloons work on a shock this small??

These Zeee 2200mah 3s Shorty packs are the absolute biggest thing that will fit.

They fit lengthwise and widthwise, but the thickness/height is too high for the stock clip. I think I will do some kind of velcro strap or 3d printed clip from the center brace down to the edge of the chassis when I will cut a small attachment point.

IMG_0201.jpeg

This isn’t my car, but it’s a shared family car with the exact same everything outside of body/tires. As you can see a Velcro strap can be inserted into the center brace, and looped through a slit that would be made on the edge of the chassis.

IMG_0275.jpeg

Went thru the usual change of plans. The JJRC c8805 had a few downgraded parts so I swapped it out for a branded official SCY 16102 pro.
Threw on some metal body mounts (stupid, but works great on this car because the stockers are weak), and hbx 16890 tires.
Diffs needed shimming badly, so that’s all done. 50/30k in the front and rear, respectively.

This bad boy is going to run a hobbywing max10 60a. Overpowered? yes, but do I think this guy can handle it? Also yes.
The stock motor is a beast for this size at 4000kv 2847 with 17t pinion. It will need a heatsink and fan for 3s, which is what it’s getting.

It says a lot about this platform that I’m not really upgrading much out of the box. (Besides esc 🤣).
the thread title isn’t clickbait, it’s truly a very underrated 1/16. It’s easily better than the MJX and HBX cars, and cheaper. It’s like $60 during sales on aliexpress, which is literally a no brainer.

IMG_0277.jpeg

Ok, it has way WAY too much power- 50-55mph on stock motor, which was cooking. It needs a fan/heatsink for sure.
It really stays planted like a truggy. Very limited wheelies, mostly aggressive wheelspin. Doesn’t roll over at all, but the shocks can’t really support this thing as it’s too heavy, even with 90wt oil and stiffer springs. Any recommendations for 65-70mm shocks?

I also 3d printed a power switch mount to replace the fan on top of the esc. Cleans up the wiring. I wouldn't recommend doing this for anything above 1/14 scale as you generally need an esc fan when you're running the appropriate esc

Back