🚨🚨🚨 Can I change connectors on motor without any issues?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryda386

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
Just bought a castle XLX2 esc…. Can I change the connectors on my 1717 1650kv motor from 6.5 to 8mm to fit esc or should I just buy an adapter?? Would it be any issues?? TIA

Just bought a castle XLX2 esc…. Can I change the connectors on my 1717 1650kv motor from 6.5 to 8mm to fit esc or should I just buy an adapter?? Would it be any issues?? TIA
I would change the plugs to 8mm before ever using an adapter.

Can motor connectors be changed easily like ESC connectors, etc? I think I remember hearing something about a certain preparation that needs to be made to the wire before soldering?

Xlx2s don't like restrictions or connections at all..xlx2 needs least about of connections an also very good sodered connections or you damage esc slowly till it dies.pay close to all connections after 1st runs for any hot connections,weak connections will get hot an must be fixed.....xlx2 high current needs gooood flow through wiring or else it'll burn

Can motor connectors be changed easily like ESC connectors, etc? I think I remember hearing something about a certain preparation that needs to be made to the wire before soldering?
Yes, you can. What you're thinking of is TP motors. Unlike, say, Castle motors (which have a bridge between the windings and the external wires), the wires that come out of the back of a TP motor are the actual windings inside the can. Those wires are insulated with lacquer, enamel or some other material. What you want to avoid with TP motors (unless you're a Masochist) is shortening the wires any. If you do, you'll have to go through the trouble of removing the insulating material from all the individual strands again, otherwise you'll never be able to solder anything to them. I know that @LibertyMKiii made a video on how to remove the insulation chemically.

You can tell pretty easily if the wires of your motor are the windings or an extension of them. The winding material is really stiff. If they've been bridged and extended with copper strand wire, the wires will be soft and pliable like the ones coming off the ESC.

Yes, you can. What you're thinking of is TP motors. Unlike, say, Castle motors (which have a bridge between the windings and the external wires), the wires that come out of the back of a TP motor are the actual windings inside the can. Those wires are insulated with lacquer, enamel or some other material. What you want to avoid with TP motors (unless you're a Masochist) is shortening the wires any. If you do, you'll have to go through the trouble of removing the insulating material from all the individual strands again, otherwise you'll never be able to solder anything to them. I know that @LibertyMKiii made a video on how to remove the insulation chemically.

You can tell pretty easily if the wires of your motor are the windings or an extension of them. The winding material is really stiff. If they've been bridged and extended with copper strand wire, the wires will be soft and pliable like the ones coming off the ESC.
I think a lot of the Chinese motors are made this way as well.

Thank you! I understand now.

I think a lot of the Chinese motors are made this way as well.
Those winding strands are known to break. Soldering them can be a bear. But can be done. Need a Hot iron and a large blunt tip. Some flux paste and "Leaded Solder". Along with some decent soldering skills.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back