To Hoon or not to Hoon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWednesday

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Nero
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Outcast EXB
  7. Senton 6s
Ok so I’d like to do some silly speed runs with my ET 410, as well as my MBX7T. So I’m looking for maybe Hoons to get the job done. I’d like to buy 6 sets of Hoons total, 1 set of silver compound in the 12 hex and 17 hex, but I’m not sure which size to choose. Then 1 set each of the white for drifting and finally one set each of the gold for actual on road traction performance. Really need to get a proper on road car, but until then… Is there a cheaper legitimate alt?

17mm hexed all the way. A better tire selection in 17mm.
What's wrong with GRP's?
Also competively priced. They come in Slicks or Treaded and in various compounds. Hobby Heros has frequent sales.
You have options.
There is also the "Choons". (Hoon No-Label Knock-Offs) Best bang for the buck just for smoking tires and drifting/hooning around. You don't want expensive ones for that.

Last edited:
What's wrong with GRP's?
Also competively priced. They come in Slicks or Treaded and in various compounds. Hobby Heros has frequent sales.
You have options.
There is also the "Choons". (Hoon No-Label Knock-Offs) Best bang for the buck just for smoking tires and drifting/hooning around. You don't want expensive ones for that.
Where do I find these choonicorns?? 🤣

I haven't tried the Choons yet but GRP > Hoons IME. They are also about half the price of Hoons, and cheaper than Choons if you calculate shipping I think, with a wide variety of tread and compound choices - https://www.hobbyheroes.com/collections/grp-tyres

Edit: I have a set of the Silver Hoons in 53/107 and I hate them. I have tried them on a Typhon and my FireTeam and they flat-out suck. They are heavy and provide almost no traction.

Hoons aren't all that. I've had a set of 53/107 silver hoons on my tekno sct410 for street bashing. They have lasted a while, but they have next to no grip. I just raced my buddy around our impromptu parking lot track earlier today and it was a struggle to keep it in shape.

I hear lots of good things about the GRPs.

As far as 12mm hex hoons, I don't know of many good hooning options in that size/hex. Those might be your only options.

What's wrong with GRP's?
You have options.
What is grp?.

+1 for GRPs, better than hoons for grip and weight and price. Go to ebay or aliexpress.

I haven't tried the Choons yet but GRP > Hoons IME. They are also about half the price of Hoons, and cheaper than Choons if you calculate shipping I think, with a wide variety of tread and compound choices - https://www.hobbyheroes.com/collections/grp-tyres

Edit: I have a set of the Silver Hoons in 53/107 and I hate them. I have tried them on a Typhon and my FireTeam and they flat-out suck. They are heavy and provide almost no traction.
+1
TheHoons 53/107's "Whites" also suck. Got cheap from JennysRC to try out. I could see the "Silvers" being even worse. They just have visual appeal and "look" the part. All show, no go with them. No matter how or what you drive with them.(n) Any of my rigs.
100% accurate assessment.
Not a wonder why the Felony has directional stability issue complaints, being hard to speed run or hook up. What was Arrma thinking?

HobbyHeros has some good deals on GRP's if you shop it hard.(y)

Last edited:
i say not to Hoon. GRP's reinfored with Bob Smith IC-2000.
I've had many blow outs with Hoon's, some of which occurred under 100 mph. GRP's are similar in price and much more reliable.

And blowouts suck when at speed. Major carnage. Rig Lifts, then flys like a frisbee when it happens. Tires matter. Been there. Adding a nice even bead of IC-2000 when new, is the best way. Best insurance.
Then balance them.
Don't think you can Hoon around, smoke them and drift with tires, and then decide to speed run with them when you want to.
Abusing them also contributes to blow outs. Have a dedicated speed run set of tires.
I can get some good mileage out of tires, if I only speed run with them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back