Kraton stuck set/grub screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceRC

Maestro
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I picked up new steering block for my V5. What a time I had with the set screw. I'm telling ya, I came onto er, not budging. I even tried a mini butane torch for like 15-20 seconds directly onto the screw. Still nothing. I went through the forum looking for folks with the same issue and came across this idea:

1000002475.jpg

Set a timer for 5 minutes and tried again. Still not budging. Tried the flame for another 3 minutes and it just turned easily and came out.

New ADU steering block, one side done. Now to do that all over again. 🙄
1000002486.jpg

Direct heat and use quality hex driver to SLOWLY loosen. Clean threads and install new Traxxas drive pin as the Arrma units are garbage.

Direct heat and use quality hex driver to SLOWLY loosen. Clean threads and install new Traxxas drive pin as the Arrma units are garbage.
If you're patient, the candle works excellently. MIP driver for the win after about 8 minutes of heat. You really want to make sure you have smoothly caught the thread before tightening up. Seems like these are easy to cross-thread. (y)

Last edited:
I picked up new steering block for my V5. What a time I had with the set screw. I'm telling ya, I came onto er, not budging. I even tried a mini butane torch for like 15-20 seconds directly onto the screw. Still nothing. I went through the forum looking for folks with the same issue and came across this idea:

View attachment 359922

Set a timer for 5 minutes and tried again. Still not budging. Tried the flame for another 3 minutes and it just turned easily and came out.

New ADU steering block, one side done. Now to do that all over again. 🙄
View attachment 359923
Nice!!

Back