"Storage voltage"...3s lipo, is it necessary?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh I see, that makes sense thanks. Just need to figure out if my overlander charger has a storage voltage setting, or can I just turn it off at 3.8?
There should absolutely be a Storage Mode setting there with your charger. If you have not been doing this, a bad idea. You are breaking the Cardinal Rule with Lipos. :rolleyes: Double check to makes sure you have Storage mode.(y) Just shutting off at 3.8 volts may seem like a workaround, just ALL the cells will not be balanced well enough when one reaches 3.8v/cell IMHO.
If your charger does not have a Storage mode, Toss it. Storage mode is mandatory for modern chargers. A mandatory feature that all have. Not having Storage Mode is a sign that your charger is subpar, with old outdated technology overall.
But I am not familiar with your Overlander Charger whatsoever. Look over your charger well. Manual and all.
:cool:

Last edited:
There should absolutely be a Storage Mode setting there with your charger. If you have not been doing this, a bad idea. You are breaking the Cardinal Rule with Lipos. :rolleyes: Double check to makes sure you have Storage mode.(y) Just shutting off at 3.8 volts may seem like a workaround, just ALL the cells will not be balanced well enough when one reaches 3.8v/cell IMHO.
If you charger does not have a Storage mode, Toss it. Storage mode is mandatory for modern chargers. A mandatory feature that all have. Not having Storage Mode is a sign that your charger is subpar, with old outdated technology overall.
But I am not familiar with your Overlander Charger whatsoever. Look over your charger well. Manual and all.
:cool:
The only chargers that I saw they make that don't have a storage feature are this one https://www.overlander.co.uk/chargers/e455-charger-50w-4a-li-nimh-charger.html and this one https://www.overlander.co.uk/pub/media/datasheets/SD4_Pro_Manual_V1_1.pdf

-edit- Just saw the view more button and found this one https://www.overlander.co.uk/chargers/overlander-rc-3s-lipo-charger.html

@Andrew Brown, as stated above, determine which charger you have there.
If there is NO Storage Mode setting available. Buy a charger that does.
Cheap chargers are not the way to go. You pay for what you get. Buy cheap, buy twice.
Lipos are all too expensive and become dangerous to operate otherwise.
Charger's are the life blood of safe and fun RC'ing.

OK cheers Kev, so charge to 3.8 then "top up" to full before use? How come this isn't mentioned in the information from overlander that comes with the batteries?

I'd guess maybe because of as you experienced no material degrading. That said, am a bit shy of having fully charged lipo's, so much power potential just sitting there, fraction of a mm away from complete chaos lol so prefer to leave em at 3.8.

aside from that I cannot think of an issue with leaving them fully charged. perhaps the slow discharge is spent making internal resistance (which is permanent degradation if I understand right) EDIT: I just read that fully charged storage "greatly" speeds up IR build up. As mentioned I never store at 4.2 so have no experience with related degradation. But from those readings 4.2v storage should result in you seeing a drop in power output capability and a bit of capacity degradation. Perhaps your setup does not "stress" the batts enough to see the impact.

Note how we treat usb battery banks....same chemistry, however much safer container (18500 cells or whatever). because of [low] load IR is likely not at all a concern, however, my usb battery banks tend to be always at 100% ready to be used are years old (most of em) and not noticed any significant drop in capacity. I primarily charge via these banks as well / are used very regularly.

Want to add that NO WHERE EVER for RC's have I read a recommendation to charge only to 90% / 95% to have a material impact on battery life. In addition no current limiting suggestions with respect to battery life.

Never seen an RC lipo charger have ability to reduce max charge voltage. (maybe now-a-days the software includes it, my only modern charger is super basic)

Last edited:
Yeah, that's my thought too...even "cheap" lipos aren't really all that cheap, especially if you like having more than 2-3 on hand. I easily take 4-6 batteries with me when I run my cars. I don't quite have 20, but I probably have 12-15 on hand and any given time. Maintaining them is free and really doesn't take that much time, even when you have a bunch...I was shocked when people were talking about not checking them for 6+ months to a year.
+1
agree.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back