Typhon Questions about Performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.Hurrle

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Vorteks
I have a Vorteks and a Typhon. I got both second hand so I don't know the histories of either. However, they both have the BLX100 and the 3200kv Arrma Motors. They also both have 13/37 diffs in them. The Typhon has 17/57 gearing and the Vorteks has 15/57. What I don't understand is with the same battery, the Vorteks does 45mph and the Typhon only does 39. It seems like the Typhon should have a faster top end since its geared a little higher. I have thought about upping the Vorteks to maybe a 17 to see if I could get it up to about 50 but Im not super concerned about that since I want to mostly bash with it. I want the Typhon to be faster for sure, though. Id like to see 50-60 out of it but I don't really want to upgrade the motor/esc.

Also, I have an app on my phone that is supposed to tell me what the speeds should be for my setups but its way off. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with it.

IMG_8726.PNG
IMG_8725.PNG

Thoughts?

Ballooning is likely making the difference indeed. Bearings (rolling friction in general) could make a big difference too.

The app is now set for 4v that's optimistic (actually depends on your battery) best lower the voltage per cell (not just for voltagesag but also misuse it for taking motor efficiency and rolling friction in account) to match you current results.

Swap the tires between the 2 and try again.
It is likely the tires ballooning more on one than the other.

Also if a motor was overheated it could have performance issues.
Now that is a possibility... When I got the Typhon, it had no heatsync or fan on the motor. The first time I ran it I temped it after about ten to fifteen minutes and it clocked 160. I didnt run it again until I got a heatsync and fan. Man, I hope thats not the issue. I'll try swapping the tires. That makes sense too. The stock dboots katar tires on the Vortex balloon quite a bit. Do you think the tires would also be why the app is off? thanks!

Now that is a possibility... When I got the Typhon, it had no heatsync or fan on the motor. The first time I ran it I temped it after about ten to fifteen minutes and it clocked 160. I didnt run it again until I got a heatsync and fan. Man, I hope thats not the issue. I'll try swapping the tires. That makes sense too. The stock dboots katar tires on the Vortex balloon quite a bit. Do you think the tires would also be why the app is off? thanks!
Yes, the ballooning will throw off your calculated speed from the actual... and also, a bad bearing/bearings will cause big time heat issues, and the bearings in the 3s line aren't great to begin with, so if they haven't been regularly maintenanced or replaced, I'm willing to bet that's a big part of your issue

Also, the one motor bearing that sits in the cap of the motor is the hottest point swapping that out will make a night and day difference. Plus, make sure they're is at least a touch of grease in the diff housings.

These are notes I took in the past from YouTube videos:

Stock Tyhpon 3s/3s with 20t pinion: 58mph, 93kmh
Stock Typhon 3s/3s with 15t pinion: 44mph, 71kmh

Those are measured speeds, this might give you some reference.

Back