Talion Pre-Load Shock Collar Optimal Spacer Setting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the most optional mm setting for your Front and Rear Shock Collars?

Hmm.

I set my shock collars on two specifics for me. Most importantly, how I want the rig to rebound back under bashing/performance. This also plays with the diff fluid weight in the shocks.

Other is the rig ride height. If possible, I like my rigs to have a slant to the front so it rides levels or level under power.

Adjustments are subjective and personal.

Hmm.

I set my shock collars on two specifics for me. Most importantly, how I want the rig to rebound back under bashing/performance. This also plays with the diff fluid weight in the shocks.

Other is the rig ride height. If possible, I like my rigs to have a slant to the front so it rides levels or level under power.

Adjustments are subjective and personal.
Thank you for the feedback. The only specific mm numbers I have been able to get is from ARRMA for an 8s which they say 5mm in the front and 7.5 in the rear. Do you know what you run so I can try that set up.

Thank you for the feedback. The only specific mm numbers I have been able to get is from ARRMA for an 8s which they say 5mm in the front and 7.5 in the rear. Do you know what you run so I can try that set up.

Hard to get a good pic with one hand. I am about stock, maybe some minor adjustments, if any at all. I am measuring from where the ruler is sitting to the bottom of the black cap:

front 19mm
rear 16mm

Front
1678337215080.png

Rear harder pic is at an slant but 16mm what I have
1678337303147.png

1678337320884.png

@IvanRC

Another way I have done this before is to look at new unboxing Talion, etc. videos and take some screenshots and zoom in and count how many threads are open for the front and rear to get close to a stock adjustment.

Droop screws = rod shock ends lasting more than the first big send
same as proper fluid/spring weight, internal/external limiters, etc, but you feel free to do/think what you want.

droop screws can cause other problems, or lack of performance, imo

Anyone know of Button-head droop screws?
Where they can be bought in bulk , link??

Interesting, that is different to what I had been told.

I have been setting it up with parallel arms via the droop screws, what should I be doing?
The droop screws establish just that; the amount of "droop" allowed before the suspension comes to a mechanical stop. Think of them like limiter straps on the long-travel truck's suspension. They prevent any further motion downwards to solve two distinctly different issues: 1, the desired amount of suspension travel downwards in relation to the surface you are driving on ( we have quite a bit of travel for our rough desert track ). 2, preventing damage to other suspension components or drivetrain components due to over-travel.

I do not like my shocks to be the stopping point on either direction of suspension travel. The bottom of the chassis smacks the ground when I fully bottom out ( on my 1/8 Tekno ) and the droop screws limit of far down the lower A-Arm will rotate around the pin attaching it to the bulkhead. Unfortunately for this particular rock racer, the Lasernut, the original buggy setup was never intended to run a tire height as tall as this 2.2" wheel and 5.5" Axial Ripsaw tire combo, so what I really need here are bump stops for the upper travel. I just haven't figured out a way to install a set.

This has nothing to do with the spring setting ride height. And if you are stacking tons of spacers to get the right ride height, you need to change out the springs.

Droop screws in action.
Lasernut Rip Saw 71.jpg

Last edited:
The droop screws establish just that; the amount of "droop" allowed before the suspension comes to a mechanical stop. Think of them like limiter straps on the long-travel truck's suspension. They prevent any further motion downwards to solve two distinctly different issues: 1, the desired amount of suspension travel downwards in relation to the surface you are driving on ( we have quite a bit of travel for our rough desert track ). 2, preventing damage to other suspension components or drivetrain components due to over-travel.

I do not like my shocks to be the stopping point on either direction of suspension travel. The bottom of the chassis smacks the ground when I fully bottom out ( on my 1/8 Tekno ) and the droop screws limit of far down the lower A-Arm will rotate around the pin attaching it to the bulkhead. Unfortunately for this particular rock racer, the Lasernut, the original buggy setup was never intended to run a tire height as tall as this 2.2" wheel and 5.5" Axial Ripsaw tire combo, so what I really need here are bump stops for the upper travel. I just haven't figured out a way to install a set.

This has nothing to do with the spring setting ride height. And if you are stacking tons of spacers to get the right ride height, you need to change out the springs.

Droop screws in action.View attachment 284201
Steve B,

That is one serious looking Buggy. Great pic!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back