Outcast 1/5 EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbailey

Reaction score
Hi all! Doing my first ever build on an outcast exb. This topic might be well exhausted but I figured I’d run it by everyone here. I’m leaning towards buying a HW Max 5 combo with the 800kv motor on eBay from radio control power. They offer the esc pre soldered with qs8 adapters to ec5 (or whatever adapter you want). I have not soldered anything before so it seems like a good option until I can get some experience with that. Any opinions on this is greatly appreciated! Any issues with using qs8 from esc with a harness?

Seems like the most common gearing is 39/39. It seems that the can size of this motor will rub the steering crank. I’ve seen people shave this down and also recommend m2c. I’m all for dropping the money on the m2c if it will actually fit without rubbing the can but I haven’t been able to actually see it to confirm this.

Last thing, I can’t find much about temps in this gearing. I’m still relatively new to RCs. Is this combo relatively cool running? Live in texas where it can get hot in the summer. Fans required for motor?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Radiocontrolpower is awesome and I order all my esc's from them. I think you're better off ordering from them directly on their website https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/

Qs8 connectors are best but I think you are okay with esc5 on a max 5. It's also much much easier to find lipos that come with ec5 connectors. You will be soldering qs8 onto lipos otherwise. You should learn how to do it though tbh! I was running a max 5 in my outcast until recently but I wasn't using the 800 kv hw motor. I was using a tp 5860 which is the same size as the hw motor, maybe even slightly larger diameter. I also have the m2c bellcrank and it fit perfectly fine using the bellcrank so you are a GO on ordering the m2c bellcrank.

I definitely would get some 40mm alu fans and a fan mount, you can get it all from radiocontrolpower. I really love that place, no tax and a lot of the time it only takes 2 days to reach me. Can't recommend them enough.

Btw, 39/39 gearing will be about 61 mph for you on stock tires. While I rather be at 70 mph I think a large majority of people on this forum who have 8s arrma rigs are 100% happy with 60 mph and the stock tires will definitely blow up if you go for 70+

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/172JeLv4pGQYZ2fq2hMav_jhvPy5RMOYb2kBpuxgyUeY/edit#gid=0

Great resource to figure out how fast you will go with what gearing. Deduct a few mph (3?) because it's based on kraton tires and outcast tires are a little tiny bit smaller.

I have got the 1100kV HW motor im my O8S EXB plus the Max5, it fits in perfectly, no space issues and plenty of power. Agree the pre-build EC5 is nice, I am terrible at soldering as well so fully understand you. I needed to re-solder twice already :ROFLMAO:

Sadly the 800kv hw is about 20mm longer than the 1100kv motor so it definitely can't fit in every location the 1100kv can.

Radiocontrolpower is awesome and I order all my esc's from them. I think you're better off ordering from them directly on their website https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/

Qs8 connectors are best but I think you are okay with esc5 on a max 5. It's also much much easier to find lipos that come with ec5 connectors. You will be soldering qs8 onto lipos otherwise. You should learn how to do it though tbh! I was running a max 5 in my outcast until recently but I wasn't using the 800 kv hw motor. I was using a tp 5860 which is the same size as the hw motor, maybe even slightly larger diameter. I also have the m2c bellcrank and it fit perfectly fine using the bellcrank so you are a GO on ordering the m2c bellcrank.

I definitely would get some 40mm alu fans and a fan mount, you can get it all from radiocontrolpower. I really love that place, no tax and a lot of the time it only takes 2 days to reach me. Can't recommend them enough.

Btw, 39/39 gearing will be about 61 mph for you on stock tires. While I rather be at 70 mph I think a large majority of people on this forum who have 8s arrma rigs are 100% happy with 60 mph and the stock tires will definitely blow up if you go for 70+

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/172JeLv4pGQYZ2fq2hMav_jhvPy5RMOYb2kBpuxgyUeY/edit#gid=0

Great resource to figure out how fast you will go with what gearing. Deduct a few mph (3?) because it's based on kraton tires and outcast tires are a little tiny bit smaller.
Thank you so much for all the info!

I have ordered from Radio Control Power both directly and through their eBay store. I had one issue with the order from eBay, wrong switch plate sent which could probably happen even when ordered direct from their site, sent them a message, through eBay. at like midnight on a weekend and had an answer within hours. The replacement switch mount was sent out the next day via USPS with tracking and I had it in a couple days.

I have a Max5/1100 kv in my 1/5 Kraton EXB, the eBay order, and it was no issue. I did order their esc mount/adapter to make things easier on me.
I ordered an MMX8S and Castle 1515 for my Typhon TLR direct from them, with a single QS8. And a QS8 to EC5 single, and a QS8 to EC5 dual so I have options on battery/batteries

They are great, and this post reminds me I need a fan for the Max5 as I got some debris in it and broke a couple blades. Going to their site now!

Definitely post your build once you get it all completed. Like others have mentioned RCP is great and when I did have an issue they resolved it promptly.

I actually just soldered on some QS8 connectors to my Max5 for my upcoming Outcast 8s build.

1677041575180.png

Radiocontrolpower is awesome and I order all my esc's from them.
I hate you and thank you for showing me this site. :LOL: You really can't beat how fast they ship and how cheap they are for quality parts. All of my 6s rigs have there motor mounts and I prefer them over PowerHobby and the other Amazon brands. I actually have one ready to go in on my TP Motor!

I did order their esc mount/adapter to make things easier on me.
I purchased this for my upcoming build. Not sure it it's overkill but I also picked up there power button mount as well.

They are great, and this post reminds me I need a fan for the Max5 as I got some debris in it and broke a couple blades. Going to their site now!
Good timing they got some 40x28mm fans on sale right now.

Last edited:
I just bought the esc and motor combo and also bought these fans. Can I plug these fans directly into the receiver without any issue? Or do I need to wire an external BEC?

18F0B754-3162-49C3-9D2F-22CBA721D39C.png

I just bought the esc and motor combo and also bought these fans. Can I plug these fans directly into the receiver without any issue? Or do I need to wire an external BEC?

View attachment 283223
Pretty sure those fans from radio control power come with a JST connector. If so just need to get a JST to JR adapter connector.

Reaching out for some help again! Lol. I’m in the process of installing the m2c steering bell crank and the screw to attach the servo arm just seems ridiculously too long. It’s almost touching the center drive shaft. I think I’m screwing something up. Also, while I was taking the original steering crank off I saw this nut and couldn’t figure out where it came from. The original bell crank has a hole that it seems to fit in perfectly to secure the servo arm but I’m just not sure. I’ve attached some photos so hopefully someone can help me out or at least have a good laugh
7401CF2A-BFE0-49C2-B524-37ACA2DFF521.jpeg

4271BE61-9F13-4C4C-87DB-37DF5AFF6615.jpeg

46DC4669-2F0D-4BA6-B69D-E9A3FB8AB144.jpeg

Reaching out for some help again! Lol. I’m in the process of installing the m2c steering bell crank and the screw to attach the servo arm just seems ridiculously too long. It’s almost touching the center drive shaft. I think I’m screwing something up. Also, while I was taking the original steering crank off I saw this nut and couldn’t figure out where it came from. The original bell crank has a hole that it seems to fit in perfectly to secure the servo arm but I’m just not sure. I’ve attached some photos so hopefully someone can help me out or at least have a good laughView attachment 283621

View attachment 283622

View attachment 283623

Is the M2C bell crank threaded? If so just use a shorter screw.

That nut is captured in the slot of the plastic bell crank.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back