NeroXL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How heavy is your Nero XL? It looks even more tank-like than the original.

I will be putting some pieces on the scales this week.

I did a little bit of a balancing act with a pair new batteries. Instead of my usual 7400mah SMC's, I went with 5000mah GenAces. That has led me to not worry about its overall weight increase as much.

Its information I definitely would like to know myself so I'll be sure to post it when I know some actual numbers.

What a great thread! Thanks @MadBlaster for taking us on the journey. I love some good old fabrication!

Thank you! I really appreciate everyone's kind words.

This journey is about to take an awesome turn. I'm going to start designing my son's set of TVP's tonight. He was interested in the honeycomb design I made a while back, but also stated an interest in a random geometric pattern.

I'm intrigued. I see an arrangement of varying size and shape triangles making up frame. This has me pumped because there is a definite challenge. How to arrange the triangles to be random, yet line them up so I have correct hole placements for assembly.

I will also be trying to cram in the redesigning the shock braces as well, before the 18th...I want braces that can be moved so that the ride height can be adjusted with little effort...

Pipe dream(but sooo possible) version would be adjustable ride hight from remote. With enough disregard to curb weight, individual shock adjustment would be possible. Low rider Nero shelf queen anyone?

The first draft of the geometric frame is complete. I tried the triangle idea and it was just not hashing out the way I thought. This is still a rough draft. Things like tool radius was not factored in so there are a lot of sharp corners that simply won't be possible. It got the go ahead from my son so now I'll draw a few different versions on the computer and run them by the lil man again before making chips.

DSC_0210.JPG

Last edited:
This project just got a hot beef injection. Currently in possession of an 8s system to shove into the Nero. 1/5 motor, motor mount, center diff, esc, and a couple 4s waiting to unless some hell.

Custome adapter will need to be machined for front and rear diff to accept massive dog bones.
Using dog bones, and not the proprietary spline shaft of the OG Nero, opens up total length question again.

So lets talk wheel bases. OG Nero was 14.88 in. My current chassis up to 17.25. X-Maxx is 18.9.....Looks like 19in might have to be the next logical step.
Its all not about length though, right guys? Have to consider handling and all that technical stuff.

What I'm thinking is an adaptable chassis. Swapping dogbones would be a cinch. Now I just need a way to make the chassis length adjustable, with the 3 different ideas floating around in my head, it'll be done. The whole point of it being so I not only to say mines longer, but be able to adjust the length to suit different conditions/expectations.

I'll do a quick prof of concept tvp redesign to mount the new system into. Wont invest to much time when I know the center and rear diffs are now the weak points. I refuse to let anything stop me on this journey, so if they fail easily, yet another design will be needed and machined to accept 1/5 scale diffs in the front and rear.

Due to a few factors, this thread will be kept for any improvements made to the 6s 17.25 NeroXL chassis from here on out. The XL chassis is far from dead though. With an extra set of 6s electronics, The XL chassis may move towards a duel motor/esc setup.

Look for a NeroMaXXX build thread in a bit, any further progress on the 8s 18.9+ chassis will be updated there.

Thanks again everyone for their past input and opinions. Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Well it's been a small journey. Assumptions throwing things off bad. Then realizing it only takes some quick milling and a hole drilled and I could have I very functional piece.

Successful linkage between 6s Nero front/rear and center 8s diff/motor has been achieved. It is going to take a substantial redesign to the tvp to allow it to fit without affecting the shocks. Sadly it won't take much stretching, maybe .25inch. Where it's goin to take the most work is the widening. Ill now have to turn into a 3 piece design. I have a couple prototype ideas drawn out, but nothing set yet.

Since it's not really being stretched, it's undeserving of the NeroMaXXX title. Maybe once the new TVP's are implemented I'll start a new build log around it. It's no longer the XL, but the Nero, Emperor Edition.

20230704_152023.JPG

20230701_162749.JPG

20230701_132500.JPG

20230701_162738.JPG

An added note. If my opportunity to self machine pieces can stay somewhat regular even after the new job, another version will be in development.

My son's been awesome and has been next to me learning CAD/CAM with Fusion360. His stretched Nero will feature a duel motor design. One for each axal. But he will be in charge of that design process so it's going to be exciting to see what the lil man can do.

I am looking forward to this build!
Thanks! It's been a lot of fun trying to figure out how to make it all work out.

I have some high expectations for the 6s front and rear diff, I won't lie. Unlike most standard diff housings, the Nero's diffs are buried in a chunk of plastic that forms a bulkhead. I suspect I will get less than normal housing flex allowing gears to slip and shred. Just a hypothesis really. Any opinions?

Little update

My son reverse engineered the motor mount brack(piece that mounts to center diff). I've picked the stock piece of aluminum I'm going to use to create a plate that mounts on top of said bracket. It will be .75 thick at the ends where it will mount to the tvp itself so it has plenty of beef for a secure mount. Unfortunately it's .4015 extra wide on each side to be able to fit in current chassis frame. I assumed as much and have ideas to make it work.

My son's also working on his own TVP chassis design, incorporating the geometric TVP idea I had drawn up previously. I'm pretty excited to see what he comes up with.

We've also been batting around a possible way to incorporate our interest with fellow enthusiast with more interest in current models. Might turn into a Kickstarter, who knows. Exciting times ahead.

Its rough, but its accurate and beefy. Could definitely use some chamfering.

Everything has been more or less a proof of concept to this point. Its almost complete. Figuring out where to mount the servo and esc kinda round it all out. My son and I have been able to make good progress each weekend. I'm confident this heffer will be rolling here in a couple weeks at best. Then everything gets redesigned... I'm not getting into a design groove, concentrating on weight reduction, until it moves all assembled with the concept pieces I've made. Carbon fiber is a strong possibility down the road, especially if the front/rear diffs start showing weakness.

Happy Bashing
Greg

Untitled.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back