Limitless Limitless BLX185 ESC & 2050KV motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josephmaalouf

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
Hi guys hoping someone can help with this one..

I recently purchased a Limitless and pulled the motor and esc out of my Kraton 6s.

After running it with no more than 3/4 throttle in my neighbourhood with the stock 27T the motor kept shutting off as the esc would protect it from it overheating.
I would probably get no more than 4 runs up and down in my street before it shuts off. No brakes no throttle only turn servos work at this point. Once I turn the ESC off and back on it fires away again but quickly cuts off completely due to overheating.

The next day same thing only this time it completely seized the 2050KV motor.

What I'm confused about is why is it overheating I've seen a lot of youtubers run the BLX system and it works a treat for them with no overheating issues. What am I doing wrong here????

You need to get a smaller pinion for bashing. A 27T will be fine for a speed run or two back to back, but constant bashing use will overheat with that tall of a gear.

Okay gotcha only problem is anything smaller than the stock 27T won't grab the spool?

Dilly- where did he mention bashing?

If anyone is bashing a limitless into anything other than a curb, car, tree... there is a problem.

The stock ESC has no real idea what the temp is on a motor.

Draw enough amperage- generate enough heat- friction and damage will occur.

Throw a fan/sink on the motor and maybe even better on the esc and all should be ok as long as you aren't crazy on the gearing or abusing runs constantly.

Thank Dubs, defs doesn't bash into any of the above LOL

If I was too really spend some $$$ on top of the range ESC and Motor will I be able to abuse the runs on a stock 27T?

Dilly- where did he mention bashing?

If anyone is bashing a limitless into anything other than a curb, car, tree... there is a problem.
FYI ~ "In the RC world, bashing is racing without rules or regulations. It is just driving and testing the limits of your RC car or truck. Bashing includes making high jumps and not worrying too much about the landing."
Okay gotcha only problem is anything smaller than the stock 27T won't grab the spool?
If I was too really spend some $$$ on top of the range ESC and Motor will I be able to abuse the runs on a stock 27T?
If you're not interested in doing speed runs with the Limitless then you're probably better off buying the Infraction centre diff and pinion/spur gear set up.

This will definitely reduce temperatures and allow you to have more of a bashing type session with the standard BLX motor/ESC combo. The Infraction FYI runs an 18T pinion and 46T spur gear as standard AFAIK.

Last edited:
FYI ~ "In the RC world, bashing is racing without rules or regulations. It is just driving and testing the limits of your RC car or truck.

Really? So I can call my nephew driving his rc car in his living room at christmas bashing? Or up and down his driveway?

I've been using RC cars since the early/mid 80's- when they were bought at Radio Shack and powered by AA batteries.

Nobody called that bashing then- and nobody would call it bashing now- so FYI, no in the *RC world* bashing is absolutely not just [without rules or regulations]... what a horrible response.

Bashing absolutely has a meaning of driving hard, jumps, flips, crashes... holy hell, I can't beleive you would think otherwise, much less post trying to put me down about it! FYI indeed.

Anytime you get close to 1:1 ratio in this case 27/34 it will generate significant heat. The 27/34 gearing is good for 90+mph speeds.
IF you are only running in the street/parking lot then it is over geared.

I'd start with a larger spur https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA310951
and try a 22t pinion. You likely will still need some motor fan/heatsink combo.
Like mentioned above the ESC does not know the motor temp so it was likely the ESC was going into thermal protection mode. Aggressive gearing pulls more amps which = more heat.

A larger scale ESC has more FETs and larger heatsink. Putting in something like the Max5 esc would help it handle the heat much better.
Similarly a larger motor with a longer can will also be able to dissipate more heat.

If you go the adding a center Diff route, I found with my Infraction (similar setup to a Limitless) 20t pinion and 50t Spur is a really good. Still have some decent speed, good acceleration and best part, lower heat all around!!

Really? So I can call my nephew driving his rc car in his living room at christmas bashing? Or up and down his driveway?

I've been using RC cars since the early/mid 80's- when they were bought at Radio Shack and powered by AA batteries.

Nobody called that bashing then- and nobody would call it bashing now- so FYI, no in the *RC world* bashing is absolutely not just [without rules or regulations]... what a horrible response.

Bashing absolutely has a meaning of driving hard, jumps, flips, crashes... holy hell, I can't beleive you would think otherwise, much less post trying to put me down about it! FYI indeed.
First, thank you for your service.

Honestly it’s nothing to get upset about. Bashing can mean anything to anyone. All words are made up. It’s all good! Carry on and let’s help OP figure this out.

Nobody is trying to put you down (we're all here because we love this hobby and want to help others).

I didn't make up that term nor do I use it generally as I just do speed runs but a lot of the RC community who like going to skate parks or BMX tracks or wherever else they like to run their RC's call it "bashing".

You made out that @jondilly1974 was inferring that this guy was crashing his Limitless into things (curb, car, tree) when he mentioned "bashing" so as it sounded like you didn't know what "bashing" actually meant I informed you (For Your Information).

Said my bit now anyway so take it or leave it ~ no offence intended and either way life's too short for grudges/BS.

Bad day? Eat a Snickers. ??
Nobody is trying to put you down (we're all here because we love this hobby and want to help others).

I didn't make up that term nor do I use it generally as I just do speed runs but a lot of the RC community who like going to skate parks or BMX tracks or wherever else they like to run their RC's call it "bashing".

You made out that @jondilly1974 was inferring that this guy was crashing his Limitless into things (curb, car, tree) when he mentioned "bashing" so as it sounded like you didn't know what "bashing" actually meant I informed you (For Your Information).

Said my bit now anyway so take it or leave it ~ no offence intended and either way life's too short for grudges/BS.
I think we all call non competitive, unorganized running of an RC car bashing. It doesn’t have to mean jumping or crashing. It just means you’re out running how you want where you want.

As a counter to this, if you run once or twice in a straight line trying to max out the speed on your rig, that’s clearly speed running.

If you run on a track for time, that’s racing.

If you’re in the street or in a parking lot just driving around having fun, that’s bashing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back