Kraton Kraton 6s keeps going into Thermal Shutdown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Packer

Reaction score
My Kraton 6s is basically and EXB RTR now. Got the new shocks and aluminum diff covers

I have the Max 6/1650kv combo with an 18th pinion

I have a heatsink and dual fans on the motor and after around 15 minutes I'm getting the thermal shutdown.

I run it on low cut grass, dirt and gravel

I'm really frustrated. What could be the issue??

Is it the bearings in the motor??

Thinking about getting the new G2 combo

I just ordered the Max8 g2s and the 4278g2 2250kv, should be here tomorrow 🥳

If it's hot ambient and you're running full trigger the whole time, 15 minutes is a solid bash. Bearings/diffs require PM service every 10-20 runs.

1718654812865.png

Last edited:
How old is that combo? I would think that the 4990 and Max6 would be a big system for the K6s.

My Kraton 6s is basically and EXB RTR now. Got the new shocks and aluminum diff covers

I have the Max 6/1650kv combo with an 18th pinion

I have a heatsink and dual fans on the motor and after around 15 minutes I'm getting the thermal shutdown.

I run it on low cut grass, dirt and gravel

I'm really frustrated. What could be the issue??

Is it the bearings in the motor??

Thinking about getting the new G2 combo
It would be really good to have a temp gun to see how fast the electronics are heating. There are so many variables. Depending on your condition and how you bash it...15min is good

It never hurts to check for binding. Motor bearings are always good to check and gear mesh is not too tight. Wheel hex bearings are not crunchy sounding, and the driveshaft turns without binding or resistance. I assume stock tires nothing big, belted aftermarket tires.

If the drivetrain is smooth, bearings good, gearing is not too aggressive, temps are not crazy out, might be time for a fan upgrade on that ESC.

I think stock is a 35mm, you could replace with a rocket fan or get a new shroud and throw a 40mm server fan on it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6547620

Back