Calling all speed runners..what failsafe throttle position rate are you guys using? Need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King blitz

Don't just modify . customize .
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Vendetta
  5. Infraction 4x4
I just got a bran new RADIOLINK RC4GS and I want to set up the fail safe.i want to know what brake rate are you guys using. Not sure if this matters or not but this radio and receiver are for my GT infraction 8s .speed runs only.thank you

If you are on the brakes when loss of signal and have a brake rate set for failsafe, would the car would go in reverse?

If you are on the brakes when loss of signal and have a brake rate set for failsafe, would the car would go in reverse?
No. Regardless of your inputs it would revert to failsafe settings when signal was lost.

I’m also wondering what you guys are using for failsafe brake rates, especially for speed runners.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is there really a brake rate specific for the failsafe? Post a pic of the screen setting, the manual doesn’t talk about this.

Nothing on the net that shows step by step what is a good rate of braking on fail safe for speed running 🤷.on my settings it shows -100 then +100 so let's say I set it on +100 that should give 100 percent of braking power if I loose signal correct? If I do that and I'm going say 80 to 100 wouldn't the car flip or loose control or even probably ruin the ESC ? This is what I'm trying to figure out what is a safe setting that won't cause damage to the electronics during a fail safe brake...and I also think that if you set the fail safe at +100 wouldn't that cause damage to the diffs locking up at high speeds? Sounds to me that something would strip out .another thing that's confusing to me is what da fuk is -100 and +100 ??? Why can't it be as simple as 0 being the lowest and 100 being the highest and 50 being the middle .why the -100 and why the +100.when you hit 100 it allows you to keep going even higher wtf.this obviously frustrating to me because I've always never messed with this on any of my other transmitters especially my flysky ones..I don't ask much on here and now that I need advice on this matter I can't get the answers I need 🤷 .I'll wait a little longer and if I get no help I'll just contact some speed runners on here .so let's go Boyz help me out plz.thanks

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is there really a brake rate specific for the failsafe? Post a pic of the screen setting, the manual doesn’t talk about this.
The manual is retarded.lol it's obvious it doesn't explain very well .I can't even find a video of someone on the road showing us what it would do at a specific rate when fail safe is activated..🤷 I might to have to email Raz ?

Last edited:
Take a breath Broz.

Your question is like asking "I'm making a pizza, how much cheese am I supposed to put on it?"

The answer obviously depends on how fast are you going, the power of your motor, the amount of traction you have, your ESC and a hundred other variables. You can brake much harder going at 40mph than you can at 200mph, or with a less powerful motor or ESC or weaker battery, yada yada yada. The answer is not going to just be "-10, SEND IT!".

BTW, the correct term would be "failsafe throttle position", brake rate makes it sound like something else which it really isn't.

Take a breath Broz.

Your question is like asking "I'm making a pizza, how much cheese am I supposed to put on it?"

The answer obviously depends on how fast are you going, the power of your motor, the amount of traction you have, your ESC and a hundred other variables. You can brake much harder going at 40mph than you can at 200mph, or with a less powerful motor or ESC or weaker battery, yada yada yada. The answer is not going to just be "-10, SEND IT!".

BTW, the correct term would be "failsafe throttle position", brake rate makes it sound like something else which it really isn't.
Building a pizza🤔 sounds yummy lol .back to my original question .what is a good safe rate for speed runners ..what are you guys using ....?????

I'm mostly puzzled why -100 and +100

Last edited:
Take a breath Broz.

I edit the thread .thank you for the correct term.. hopefully someone can chime in with some help

Yes. I saw a video (of course, I can’t find it now) where the user configured their failsafe with mixing to incorporate brake via channel 3/4. I’ve never set up channel mixing functions before, so this is above my skill set.
I have my throttle set to zero in the failsafe screen and my drag brake set to 25% in the regular programming screen, but yes, mixing values for the failsafe function are apparently possible.
Take a breath Broz.
It’s all good, we’re not hyperventilating or anything, just searching for someone better informed than us regarding this subject.

Yeah, all fair questions. Thats why I mentioned to Blitz earlier that I recalled the guy saying in the video that he had set his failsafe brake fairly low so his rig wouldn’t spin out of control if he lost signal at 150mph with 100% brake. Mind you, this was with a RadioLink receiver and transmitter, not with a Futaba or Noble or other fancy-pants radio system. 😊
Right for the basic failsafe throttle position. Steering can also be programmed (I’ve heard some boat guys like to have their boats make lazy circles until they recover them, but I’ve no way to verify this) as well as brake if you’re able to grasp proper mixing technique, which I’m not yet. Or lights. Or foghorns. Or winches. Or whatever else you choose to program via mixing choices? The manual shows that failsafe functions can be chosen/programmed on channels 1, 2, 3, and 4. But as the esteemed Mr, Blitz pointed out, the instructions suck out loud.
IMG_3326.jpeg

Like I said, I don’t have the knowledge to do this and my pathetic attempts at programming the mixing this morning merely seemed to irritate the cat while arriving at no useful result whatsoever, despite me trying to take the RadioLink authors advice, which is to, “programming easier for to make the hobby enjoy more.”
I’m going to keep hunting for that video, because the guy had a step by step guide illustrating how he did it. I watched it after buying my first RadioLink two or three years ago, back when we could only store 10 models.

Yes. I saw a video (of course, I can’t find it now) where the user configured their failsafe with mixing to incorporate brake via channel 3/4. I’ve never set up channel mixing functions before, so this is above my skill set.
I have my throttle set to zero in the failsafe screen and my drag brake set to 25% in the regular programming screen, but yes, mixing values for the failsafe function are apparently possible.

It’s all good, we’re not hyperventilating or anything, just searching for someone better informed than us regarding this subject.

Yeah, all fair questions. Thats why I mentioned to Blitz earlier that I recalled the guy saying in the video that he had set his failsafe brake fairly low so his rig wouldn’t spin out of control if he lost signal at 150mph with 100% brake. Mind you, this was with a RadioLink receiver and transmitter, not with a Futaba or Noble or other fancy-pants radio system. 😊

Right for the basic failsafe throttle position. Steering can also be programmed (I’ve heard some boat guys like to have their boats make lazy circles until they recover them, but I’ve no way to verify this) as well as brake if you’re able to grasp proper mixing technique, which I’m not yet. Or lights. Or foghorns. Or winches. Or whatever else you choose to program via mixing choices? The manual shows that failsafe functions can be chosen/programmed on channels 1, 2, 3, and 4. But as the esteemed Mr, Blitz pointed out, the instructions suck out loud.
View attachment 365003
Like I said, I don’t have the knowledge to do this and my pathetic attempts at programming the mixing this morning merely seemed to irritate the cat while arriving at no useful result whatsoever, despite me trying to take the RadioLink authors advice, which is to, “programming easier for to make the hobby enjoy more.”
I’m going to keep hunting for that video, because the guy had a step by step guide illustrating how he did it. I watched it after buying my first RadioLink two or three years ago, back when we could only store 10 models.
I sure hope you find it ..I have watched about 20 videos on Radiolink RC4GS and of which none explain from personal experience what rate is not good and which is decent and what is best 🤷 I suppose there is no best since many have their own preference.but I'm sure for speed running their must be a certain level that is agreed by many ..I think I might just end up setting fail safe to like 80 percent ..I can test what 80 percent is like by setting the brake at 80 and see what that feels like at the speeds I normally go.i don't go over 80 much so if I can find a happy medium I'm should be fine ..now what confuses me is on Radiolink is the negative 100 and positive 100 ..🤷. Channel 3 on Radiolink RC4GS is default for trimming your throttle and stearing.unless you want to change the channel to 4 or 5 .

I sure hope you find it ..I have watched about 20 videos on Radiolink RC4GS and of which none explain from personal experience what rate is not good and which is decent and what is best 🤷 I suppose there is no best since many have their own preference.but I'm sure for speed running their must be a certain level that is agreed by many ..I think I might just end up setting fail safe to like 80 percent ..I can test what 80 percent is like by setting the brake at 80 and see what that feels like at the speeds I normally go.i don't go over 80 much so if I can find a happy medium I'm should be fine ..
80 isn’t speed, its throttle position. Don't set it to 80% or you’ll continue to accelerate at 80% throttle after you lose signal. Set it to zero and you’ll stop accelerating. Or, set it to negative 40% and see if you get brake? I haven’t tried that yet, but it seems like a reasonable approach. Or, I could be more full of sh’t than a Thanksgiving turkey..,
now what confuses me is on Radiolink is the negative 100 and positive 100 ..🤷. Channel 3 on Radiolink RC4GS is default for trimming your throttle and stearing.unless you want to change the channel to 4 or 5 .
I don’t think so. Channel 3 by default allows you to use the knob on the right side of the radio above the trigger to adjust gain on the gyro. It could be reassigned, though. Throttle trim is channel 2 (assigned thumb switch on the top middle right) while steering trim is assigned to channel 1, thumb switch closest to you on the right. At least that’s how mine is, but the one I’m speaking of is a V2. But they’re probably the same.

I like having the value set at 0 and set the drag brake on the ESC.
My fear is the negative "brake" value might have the car start going in reverse down the road.

Best thing to do would be to simulate a test of the setting and see what it does.

I wonder if the hand brake on my infraction could be programmed from a different channel 🤷.I never used it .from day one I disconnected the servo .
80 isn’t speed, its throttle position. Don't set it to 80% or you’ll continue to accelerate at 80% throttle after you lose signal. Set it to zero and you’ll stop accelerating. Or, set it to negative 40% and see if you get brake? I haven’t tried that yet, but it seems like a reasonable approach. Or, I could be more full of sh’t than a Thanksgiving turkey..,

I don’t think so. Channel 3 by default allows you to use the knob on the right side of the radio above the trigger to adjust gain on the gyro. It could be reassigned, though. Throttle trim is channel 2 (assigned thumb switch on the top middle right) while steering trim is assigned to channel 1, thumb switch closest to you on the right. At least that’s how mine is, but the one I’m speaking of is a V2. But they’re probably the same.
My bad that's what I meant to say channel 3 is the knob gyro sensitivity.i had a brain fart 🤣

I sure hope you find it ..I have watched about 20 videos on Radiolink RC4GS and of which none explain from personal experience what rate is not good and which is decent and what is best 🤷 I suppose there is no best since many have their own preference.but I'm sure for speed running their must be a certain level that is agreed by many ..I think I might just end up setting fail safe to like 80 percent ..I can test what 80 percent is like by setting the brake at 80 and see what that feels like at the speeds I normally go.i don't go over 80 much so if I can find a happy medium I'm should be fine ..now what confuses me is on Radiolink is the negative 100 and positive 100 ..🤷. Channel 3 on Radiolink RC4GS is default for trimming your throttle and stearing.unless you want to change the channel to 4 or 5 .
What I also meant is I could set the fail safe at 80 meaning I would only get 80 percent of braking and try it out and see how long it takes to break.wouldnt that be set at 80 positive.its the negative that's confusing.why not make it simple like from 0-100 why da fukin negative and positive?🤷

My fear is the negative "brake" value might have the car start going in reverse down the road.

Best thing to do would be to simulate a test of the setting and see what it does.
Ok so exactly what is negative 100 means🤷

Last edited:

So since I really don't go much above 80 mph .the highest I've gone was I think 93 mph setting the fail safe at 0 would be fine? 0 being full brake??? I don't use drag break so that's eliminated

Thats exactly how I set mine. Throttle on 0% and regular drag brake, but I can’t remember the value I had used. I think it’s 25% iirc. And yeah, you could test it in a parking lot but shutting off the radio and seeing what it did. Scary, though…l😂
Ok so exactly what is negative 100 means🤷
I would assume 100% brake.

Try it and tell us.
My guess is brake / reverse input of full reverse 100%
I'll have to strap this bi+ch down to my stand 🤣 .I got a feeling it's gonna shoot backwards like a bat out of hell

Back