Greasing the diff's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivegottheclep

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Should I be worried about burning the motor up cause of adding too much grease in the diff's?? Just replaced the bottom plate and I noticed the rear felt a little stiff as in maybe too thick when turning by hand.

Should I be worried about burning the motor up cause of adding too much grease in the diff's?? Just replaced the bottom plate and I noticed the rear felt a little stiff as in maybe too thick when turning by hand.
Nope

This will not lead to a burned motor, but it may just be a waste of grease product. Buring the motor can come from a few things, for example, not all listed but what I have experienced:

• Bearings on the diff or the internal spider gears are bad and create drag or locking
  • Wheel bearings and, for me, the inner hub bearings seem to lock faster than the outer, so I check them often after 2-4 runs. If one locks, it will create a strain on your motor
  • The motor itself bearings come from wet grass\mud or conditions where moisture gets inside the motor, and the motor bearings begin to go bad
  • Heat...meaning if you have overall drag rolling your rig or binding, as they say...this puts strain on your motor if the drag from wheels, suspension, etc. is occurring
Over greasing a diff may not be the best idea however, if it will burn up a motor, I would look at other items first.

Back