Vorteks FIX: Vorteks and the Spektrum Firma 100 ESC's LVC Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Senton 3s
  4. Typhon Mega
  5. Vorteks
(Jump to the bold text if you are anxious to see the fix.)

If you were not already aware, the stock ESC (Spektrum Firma 100) that comes with the Arrma Vorteks 3s BLX has been problematic with run times. The low voltage cutoff (LVC) occurs too soon, causing the Vorteks to go into what I coined "limp mode" where it drives very slow and soon after won't move.

I've seen online some people feel the LVC is set too high by default. Others believe it's a bug in the firmware (the programming on the ESC itself). When full-throttle occurs, the initial draw from the LiPo battery will be high and causes a false read to the ESC, thus triggering the ESC's LVC.

In my own case, this issue was not at all present when I picked up my Vorteks back around March 2022. It wasn't until around May '22 and a fair amount of runs later that I began to see this issue come up and progressively became worse. Eventually, my run times with any of my batteries (1 PowerHobby 3S 5000 mAh 50C, 1 brand new Spektrum 3S 5000 mAh 50C, 2 Zeee 3S 5200 mAh 80C) dropped from 25 minutes to 5 minutes, and then to the very moment I hit full-throttle.

To try and correct the issue, I took advice from others and did the following:
  • Swapped the pinion gear from 18T to 16T
  • Lowered the punch setting to 3
  • Put the ESC in my Arrma Big Rock (has a stock 15T pinion)
  • I made certain all 4 batteries I own were balanced and checked their voltages per cell before and after use.
None of these corrected the issue, although I did find swapping to the 16T bought me some time (5 mins from 30 seconds?).

I contacted Horizon Hobby and made a warranty claim. After a couple of emails, some photos, and receipts scanned, they let me know they'll be sending me a new ESC. It is, however, back ordered and expected to not arrive until July or August. (I'm in Canada, by the way. I am not clear if this adds to my wait time.) I can't say I'm surprised to hear it's back-ordered considering how many issues I've come across online regarding this problem.

Another option I knew would work - was simply replacing the ESC with something else. Well, for Father's Day, my lovely wife gifted me the Spektrum Firma 130 ESC I had been eyeing. I knew this ESC had more program options and would let me move up to a 4S battery should I choose that route one day. Along with this gift, I also bought Spektrum's Program Card. I never liked pressing a combination of buttons and counting beeps.

This led to me the part where you may have skipped ahead. When I realized I might be able to fix the original ESC. A firmware upgrade.

The Spektrum Program card comes with a USB adapter, so I knew right away I could connect this to a PC. This leads me to this YouTube video:

Low and behold, after following the steps within the video that involved updating the Program Card to the latest firmware and then connecting to my Firma 100, there was a firmware update. B1.25 to B2.06.

After updating the Firma 100's firmware, I reinstalled it into my RC on charged batteries to see if the problem was fixed.

It was!

I drove around my RC with the Firma 100 for roughly 20-25 minutes on cement and grass. Full throttle bursts. I drove it like I always do, and zero issues!

As a side note, I updated the firmware on my Firma 130. I did not own this ESC long enough to see any differences. However, I'll keep checking every few months to see if Spektrum has any new versions.

There is a prior thread I encourage you to view for more details about the Spektrum Program and connecting it to your PC: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/spektrum-firma-esc-update-2-06-and-vorteks.39041/

1655993824906.png

👍 sucks though we gotta spend $ to make a stock vorteks work properly. Can we convince HH to provide these for free if we all send in our ESC for warranty claims? Gotta be cheaper for them to include one vs replacing ESCs.

Last edited:
👍 sucks though we gotta spend $ to make a stock vorteks work properly. Can we convince HH to provide these for free if we all send in our ESC for warranty claims? Gotta be cheaper for them to include one vs replacing ESCs.
I thought about that too! The Spektrum Programmer is only $40 Canadian ($30 USD?) which is far less than them sending me a whole new ESC which is about $130 Canadian here. It would save Horizon Hobby (HH) a lot of coins.

However, how many of our fellow RC enthusiasts are good with computers too? I'm a geek and built my own PC. This stuff is a cakewalk for me. The difficulty HH could have trying to teach people how to do the firmware is probably not worth the time or frustration for them or consumers. It's easier to send a new ESC.

What I am now curious about, is whether or not the new Firma 100 ESC that is being sent to me from HH will have the latest firmware or now. I'll try to remember to come back to this thread in July/Aug when I receive it, if not sooner.

I didn't notice a change in the LVC behaviour when moving from B1.25 to B2.06, but I noticed a bunch of default settings changed and new ones became available. Interesting to read that it fixed your issue. Another confusing data point to add to a perplexing issue.

I didn't notice a change in the LVC behaviour when moving from B1.25 to B2.06, but I noticed a bunch of default settings changed and new ones became available. Interesting to read that it fixed your issue. Another confusing data point to add to a perplexing issue.
I didn't notice any substantial difference in performance either. But, I did note the extra features such as timing of the motor. That caused me to go YouTube what that is/does. That and the BEC for power to the servo and ...aux I think it was?

I'll welcome more options to tinker with in any case!

Hi there OP and fellow Arrma enthusiasts. I made an account strictly to reply to this post. I too was experiencing issues with the truck hitting LVC early. It wasn't too big of a deal, it just shortened my play time with this awesome truck. Plus side was the batteries were pretty close to storage voltage 🤣 But I purchased the Spektrum programmer, updated it, and then installed the latest firmware to the ESC, and voila! I'm getting full runtimes now. LVC is now at 3.6v and I couldn't be happier. I was able to get a few extra minutes of bliss. I'm about to check the latest firmware on my Infraction 3s, just to make sure I'm getting maximum fun out of that truck as well.

Hi there OP and fellow Arrma enthusiasts. I made an account strictly to reply to this post. I too was experiencing issues with the truck hitting LVC early. It wasn't too big of a deal, it just shortened my play time with this awesome truck. Plus side was the batteries were pretty close to storage voltage 🤣 But I purchased the Spektrum programmer, updated it, and then installed the latest firmware to the ESC, and voila! I'm getting full runtimes now. LVC is now at 3.6v and I couldn't be happier. I was able to get a few extra minutes of bliss. I'm about to check the latest firmware on my Infraction 3s, just to make sure I'm getting maximum fun out of that truck as well.
That's awesome to hear!!!

Nice, and what an awesome how-to video! ;)

The Spektrum Program card comes with a USB adapter, so I knew right away I could connect this to a PC. This leads me to this YouTube video:

Low and behold, after following the steps within the video that involved updating the Program Card to the latest firmware and then connecting to my Firma 100, there was a firmware update. B1.25 to B2.06.

After updating the Firma 100's firmware, I reinstalled it into my RC on charged batteries to see if the problem was fixed.

It was!

But the real question is... did you subscribe??? 😅

(Jump to the bold text if you are anxious to see the fix.)

If you were not already aware, the stock ESC (Spektrum Firma 100) that comes with the Arrma Vorteks 3s BLX has been problematic with run times. The low voltage cutoff (LVC) occurs too soon, causing the Vorteks to go into what I coined "limp mode" where it drives very slow and soon after won't move.

I've seen online some people feel the LVC is set too high by default. Others believe it's a bug in the firmware (the programming on the ESC itself). When full-throttle occurs, the initial draw from the LiPo battery will be high and causes a false read to the ESC, thus triggering the ESC's LVC.

In my own case, this issue was not at all present when I picked up my Vorteks back around March 2022. It wasn't until around May '22 and a fair amount of runs later that I began to see this issue come up and progressively became worse. Eventually, my run times with any of my batteries (1 PowerHobby 3S 5000 mAh 50C, 1 brand new Spektrum 3S 5000 mAh 50C, 2 Zeee 3S 5200 mAh 80C) dropped from 25 minutes to 5 minutes, and then to the very moment I hit full-throttle.

To try and correct the issue, I took advice from others and did the following:
  • Swapped the pinion gear from 18T to 16T
  • Lowered the punch setting to 3
  • Put the ESC in my Arrma Big Rock (has a stock 15T pinion)
  • I made certain all 4 batteries I own were balanced and checked their voltages per cell before and after use.
None of these corrected the issue, although I did find swapping to the 16T bought me some time (5 mins from 30 seconds?).

I contacted Horizon Hobby and made a warranty claim. After a couple of emails, some photos, and receipts scanned, they let me know they'll be sending me a new ESC. It is, however, back ordered and expected to not arrive until July or August. (I'm in Canada, by the way. I am not clear if this adds to my wait time.) I can't say I'm surprised to hear it's back-ordered considering how many issues I've come across online regarding this problem.

Another option I knew would work - was simply replacing the ESC with something else. Well, for Father's Day, my lovely wife gifted me the Spektrum Firma 130 ESC I had been eyeing. I knew this ESC had more program options and would let me move up to a 4S battery should I choose that route one day. Along with this gift, I also bought Spektrum's Program Card. I never liked pressing a combination of buttons and counting beeps.

This led to me the part where you may have skipped ahead. When I realized I might be able to fix the original ESC. A firmware upgrade.

It was!

I drove around my RC with the Firma 100 for roughly 20-25 minutes on cement and grass. Full throttle bursts. I drove it like I always do, and zero issues!

As a side note, I updated the firmware on my Firma 130. I did not own this ESC long enough to see any differences. However, I'll keep checking every few months to see if Spektrum has any new versions.

There is a prior thread I encourage you to view for more details about the Spektrum Program and connecting it to your PC: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/spektrum-firma-esc-update-2-06-and-vorteks.39041/

View attachment 225411
I'm so glad I came across this post, I was wondering if I was the only one experiencing this. Funny thing is, I bought my Vorteks new as a roller, so I installed the factory 100amp esc from my infraction since I upgraded it. I used the same exact Spektrum 3s 5000mah 100c pack but I realized that my run times were significantly decreased especially if I was running 100% throttle, as opposed to when I had it in the infraction.
The remote would give the low voltage beep and it would start running in lime mode till eventually it wouldn't drive and only the wheels would turn. The first time it happened I figured I probably didn't have the battery at full charge, but when I put it to charge all the cells had like 3.8x volts each which prompted me that something else was going on.
Looks like I'm about to purchase that programming card...thanks for sharing!

I just received a warranty replacement of the Firma100 esc last week. I have not opened the new esc yet. Does anyone know if these newer esc horizon is sending out has the LVC pre-programmed to something lower than 3.8v. I don't want to install the new esc if it has the same issue and now have to buy the programming card to fix it.

I just received a warranty replacement of the Firma100 esc last week. I have not opened the new esc yet. Does anyone know if these newer esc horizon is sending out has the LVC pre-programmed to something lower than 3.8v. I don't want to install the new esc if it has the same issue and now have to buy the programming card to fix it.
Is it just a different firmware? I bought a Vorteks shortly after they came out. Not too long ago I bought a program card, and was able to update the firmware, I now see the ability to set the LVC.
This^ going to get my programming card.

Programming card does nothing for the lvc it is down to the voltage sag on old or half cut lipos I use a gens-ace-r-spam 6800 120c lipo in my vorteks and it cuts off after 30 mins runtime at 100% punch 5 and battery is at 3.6 when put on charge again. You can thank me later unless you have already sorted it out!!!

Wanted to say thanks for this thread and provide a quick update for anyone who might discover this thread though Google like I did a few days ago.

I discovered there's a new version of Firmware that was just released in December 2023 that now allows you to manually adjust the LVC trigger voltage. I set mine to 3.4V and the issue appears to be resolved.

The catch is you'll need to purchase the Spektrum Programmer V2 which isn't cheap.

Once you have the programmer, you'll need to update it to the latest firmware, then connect it to your ESC and update the firmware on that too, which will unlock the ability to adjust LVC.

Instructions and the download can be found here:
https://www.spektrumrc.com/product/smart-esc-programming-update-box-avian-and-firma/SPMXCA200.html

NOTE: Many people are having issues with the software freezing when trying to connect to the ESC. You need to extract the zip and rar files using a 3rd party extraction tool like 7Zip. If you use Windows inbuilt extractor the software will not work.

It's BS that you have to purchase an additional accessory to make the product work properly, and I hope ARRMA supplies all their distributors with a programmer so they can update their stock before selling.

Hello, I just went to m’y local dealer to ask if they had a programmer that they could use for their clients but they had none, so I had to buy one. One connected there were two firmware updates available 2.07 and 5.03. When updated to 2.07 there was no LVC option, but in 5.03 well. If someone want’s a list of options, and values I can send that.

Back