Dead, completely dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC_DaDa

Reaction score
So as some may know,I picked up my kraton 2 days ago. Today when running my second full set of batteries through it to show my 82yo neighbor, I drove it about 100' and lost steering, once I let off the throttle, the throttle too died. Turn it off and back on and the led power button is red, no beeps no wheel turn, no fans, no nothing. This blows my fkn mind that driving, not hammering, just driving maybe 10mph it died. It's never been jumped, never hit anything, it's brand new! I know nothing about these things but for something like this,that's made to be beat on to die while driving on a flat lawn is making me loose faith in thinking this was the right brand to buy. I'm disgusted right now!
Anybody have any ideas before I see if it can hold the weight of my 4runner ?

Thanks guys !

Look at the rig

Look at the ESC wiring and servo to ensure nothing got cut or caught by any gearing. If all looks good, see if you can rebind the receiver and the radio. There is more troubleshooting you can do, but start somewhere.

Visually, nothing looks out of place...heck I don't even have dirt on the car yet. I know with my son's 3s cars, there is a binding plug you have to use. I'll YouTube binding now. I know very very little about these things. I rip apart and fix anything, but I've never had to do it to an RC truck yet.... Ugh.... Thanks, I'll try and re bind now.

If you bought new, then just get a warranty replacement. If you bought used, It's a replaceable component for sure, whether it's the ESC, motor, etc., that's the beauty of this hobby. I know it sucks to fix something you just bought, but it's better than it being a total loss. Also, these things are really tough, sounds like yours might just be a bad part that happened to slip through. Just based on my time here, there aren't many types of failures reported like the one you're having relative to the amount of rigs out there in the wild. If I had to guess, I'd say the ESC or the motor would be the culprit here. Do a little bit of troubleshooting, fix/replace the broken part, and bash on 🍻

I think you posted yesterday about only charging one pack?

If I recall correctly you said you kept turning it back on and running for a few minutes then off and on again. After that is when you realized that you only charged one battery. My money is on that one battery being dead dead.

Ok so I can't reset the esc, the set button does nothing. There's no life in anything. I did buy it brand new from a hobby shop in New York, called them, then ordered it online. What is my warranty process like? Who do I contact? I have no problem working on it myself but I'll be damned if I have to ship it somewhere on my dime.
I've tried the YouTube thing and there are no videos showing a vehicle with zero life.... everything on there beeps and they have the fans on....not mine....blah.

Nope, batteries were at 92% when I eliminated them from the mix, both have all 4 cells good too. I wish it was that simple

Are you able to individually read the cell voltages on each pack? Do you have another pair of betts to try?

Let the warranty take care of it .no point in going crazy trying to figure it out .at least you still have a warranty .sucks this happened but typically this brand is awesome .I have two kratons and I love them both..every brand has issues .it's something you can't get away from 🤷good luck hope you get back to bashing soon👍

Yes and yes, the batteries are fine.

As for the BEC, I read that somewhere too. But to die randomly is ridiculous.
So now it'll sit around for a month before I can do anything with it. Heck I could've saved a lot of money and headache buying a 50 dollar Walmart truck. My boys have run the snot out of their redcats, not 1 issue 🤷

My 2 cents is on the servo. One of the few lesser good quality components.
If it's bad it will make the bec go weird.(and potentially harm the bec)

Unplug ch1 on the receiver and turn it on. If it works, you know it's the servo. If not, it could still be the servo.

Well unfortunately I'm back on the road as of 2 hours ago, and won't be home till Friday. 8 did however unplug it and nothing changed. There is a a similar problem...almost sounded exactly as i described on here a couple years ago I found on a search and it was the servo. I guess I'll wait and see what HH says and go from there. I hope they're willing to send parts. I took pics and a video before I left in case they need to see something. I just don't want this thing sitting all summer collecting dust because I'm away all the time, and time is more precious. But I do need to get it running since I got it to play with my boys.

Ok so I can't reset the esc, the set button does nothing. There's no life in anything. I did buy it brand new from a hobby shop in New York, called them, then ordered it online. What is my warranty process like? Who do I contact? I have no problem working on it myself but I'll be damned if I have to ship it somewhere on my dime.
I've tried the YouTube thing and there are no videos showing a vehicle with zero life.... everything on there beeps and they have the fans on....not mine....blah.

Nope, batteries were at 92% when I eliminated them from the mix, both have all 4 cells good too. I wish it was that simple
I would start with the hobby shop to see if they can give you a quick visual and spot the issue since only a few items can fail here.

Yes, you always have a warranty with Horizon Hobby, which owns Arrma, from your purchase date—just call them.

If they are a good hobby shop, they should be happy to help you whether you bought through them via their online site or directly from another location. A trained person should be able to spot the issue quickly in person and provide you with the next steps.

(y)

I would start with the hobby shop to see if they can give you a quick visual and spot the issue since only a few items can fail here.

Yes, you always have a warranty with Horizon Hobby, which owns Arrma, from your purchase date—just call them.

If they are a good hobby shop, they should be happy to help you whether you bought through them via their online site or directly from another location. A trained person should be able to spot the issue quickly in person and provide you with the next steps.

(y)
Well, there won't be an in person unfortunately...they're about 7 hours away. They were closed today but I'll call tomorrow. Would horizon help me even though I didn't buy from them? I just looked on their site and the darn thing is back in stock too. Would've saved some money that route but I wanted to make sure I had it before father's day to spend a day out with my boys...that's not happening now 😔 I'm only home every other weekend so this is going to be a pain in the butt!

Well, there won't be an in person unfortunately...they're about 7 hours away. They were closed today but I'll call tomorrow. Would horizon help me even though I didn't buy from them? I just looked on their site and the darn thing is back in stock too. Would've saved some money that route but I wanted to make sure I had it before father's day to spend a day out with my boys...that's not happening now 😔 I'm only home every other weekend so this is going to be a pain in the butt!
Ultimately, it will be resolved, and you will look back on this.

Yes, you just need your receipt for proof of purchase; your rig is covered. They provide good support and are familiar with the issues you will address. Give them a call. They'll get you the right replacement part under warranty.

Back