Granite Center diff doesn’t fit in SWB Granite or Vorteks? (*Edit - it does fit)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRC

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So I got the new 4s center diff for my Granite, but looks like it won’t fit a swb chassis. There is barely enough space for the motor to clear the receiver box. But you still need more space to slide the power module in and out.

You could make it work if you removed the receiver box every time you needed to slide the power module in or out. That’s a huge PITA.

You could maybe Dremel out the sliding rails for the power module and just drop it straight down. I’m not even sure this works. But even then your entire power module/ center diff would be hanging on with 2 screws fastened to plastic. I think it might not last a single big jump.

If anyone has found a way to make the center diff fit and work reliably on a SWB chassis, please let me know.

So I got the new 4s center diff for my Granite, but looks like it won’t fit a swb chassis. There is barely enough space for the motor to clear the receiver box. But you still need more space to slide the power module in and out.

You could make it work if you removed the receiver box every time you needed to slide the power module in or out. That’s a huge PITA.

You could maybe Dremel out the sliding rails for the power module and just drop it straight down. I’m not even sure this works. But even then your entire power module/ center diff would be hanging on with 2 screws fastened to plastic. I think it might not last a single big jump.

If anyone has found a way to make the center diff fit and work reliably on a SWB chassis, please let me know.

I think you will need to swap out the chassis to at least the LWB ,at a minimum to be able to use that thicker Power Module..

Pics of how much room you have with that setup would help.

I ran the 4s power module in my granite. It ran wonderfully for me. And yes, you gotta remove the reciever box every time. Made the granite feel more controlled/ less squirrely. The power module ended up in my big rock that's dedicated for 4s. That was the only reason I moved it. Otherwise, I loved it in the granite. I think it's a little pricey of an upgrade for what it is tho. Slipper works fine for my applications, so I just saved the $100 and put it into other upgrades.

With that being said, if you're handy with a Dremel or multitool you can cut the reciever box out completely. This is how I run the vendetta. Only issue is mounting your reciever and exposing it to whatever you drive in. I try hard not to wet my rigs, but 💩 happens. Just know what your getting into. Again, credit to @K-BASH for showing me how to do so. I'll walk you thru it if u wanna go that route. If not, be prepared to have to remove that box everytime you wanna open it up. It never was an issue for me cuz once I got it dialed, I didn't really have to open it until I decided to repurpose it. Hope that helps!

Center diff installed on my Granite. FYI stock 3660 length motor fits. 3668 length motors like the Firma 2400kv and 2800kv will NOT fit. The largest motor you can fit without touching the receiver box is 3665.

The center diff definitely reduces wheelies and keeps the power on the ground, which is what I wanted. Combined with 4s and Mojave driveshafts, it’s amazing, mad power without fighting off wheelies all the time. But, If you love to wheelie, the center diff may not be for you (or you want thicker oil than stock).

Turning characteristics are not that different though. But with its short wheel base, the Granite was always a quick turner. If you’re looking to improve turning, the Losi servo saver mod will do far more than a center diff.

As I think Razor RC mentions, the center diff also moves the weight forward. In the case of the Granite, this helps handling on the ground, the back end doesn’t swing around so much.

Lastly, the center diff and power module add noticeable weight. I had to tighten up suspension a turn. So overall, it’s an upgrade, with reduced wheelies so you can really stay on power and accelerate as the main difference. Another major benefit is not having to deal with the slipper coming loose anymore. Hopefully it’s durable enough. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Back