Fireteam Bigger Spur Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USORacing

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a larger spur gear. I found a 52 tooth on Ebay but it did not hold up for more than a few packs. Does anyone make a quality 50plus tooth spur gear?

Where I run i can't use the top speed anyway so i want to gear it down less load/heat on the motor and esc. And then, if i want, i can run bigger tires too without overloading the system.

What size pinion are you using?
But more to your point, a spur larger than 50 is going to start hitting the chassis. I don't know of a diff gear larger than 50 but you could run a locker in the center with something larger than 50

What size pinion are you using?
But more to your point, a spur larger than 50 is going to start hitting the chassis. I don't know of a diff gear larger than 50 but you could run a locker in the center with something larger than 50
I'm running a 12t. might go to an 11t that would put me a hair lower than the 12x52 I was running.

Why would the size of the Spur affect the ability to run a locker?

How about a lower KV motor instead.

I'm running a 12t. might go to an 11t that would put me a hair lower than the 12x52 I was running.

Why would the size of the Spur affect the ability to run a locker?
Because if you run a spool, such as a scorched spool, you can find 8mm bore pinions that are huge. And with the spools you can run "pinions" as spurs. For example I have a 56 tooth 8mm bore pinion
F38AF053-379B-4C2E-A840-831B1676B372.jpeg

Because if you run a spool, such as a scorched spool, you can find 8mm bore pinions that are huge. And with the spools you can run "pinions" as spurs. For example I have a 56 tooth 8mm bore pinionView attachment 297005
Ah ha. I see. Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen those.
The gearing on that is insane!!!
Fast Fast Fast!!!

Ah ha. I see. Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen those.
The gearing on that is insane!!!
Fast Fast Fast!!!
No problem! And yes lol its my 12s build with the hobbywing 560kv so I slapped a big boi gear on it. Currently its 56/34, I might adjust the gearing to lower the top end a bit because its a little too high at the moment for what I really want from it

Where I run i can't use the top speed anyway so i want to gear it down less load/heat on the motor and esc. And then, if i want, i can run bigger tires too without overloading the system.
Be aware that gearing down too low will also cause motor temps to increase. The less load the motor has to pull, the easier it will run into high rpm's and heat up.

If you are running hot with a 12 tooth pinion you may need to go up to a 14 to lower temp. If the motor is running wide open all the time it will run hot as well. The stock system usually won’t run hot with a pinion under 16. Sounds like you might be over revving the system.

No problem! And yes lol its my 12s build with the hobbywing 560kv so I slapped a big boi gear on it. Currently its 56/34, I might adjust the gearing to lower the top end a bit because its a little too high at the moment for what I really want from it
Off topic slightly, what mount did you use for the HB 560kv? I'm thinking of putting into my 1:5 outcast exb rolling chassis.

Off topic slightly, what mount did you use for the HB 560kv? I'm thinking of putting into my 1:5 outcast exb rolling chassis.
I used a PPS mount but that won't work with your truck. You will have to get creative because it's too long to go in the normal spot. You have to flip the motor mount and run 2 batteries on the left side of the truck I believe

I used a PPS mount but that won't work with your truck. You will have to get creative because it's too long to go in the normal spot. You have to flip the motor mount and run 2 batteries on the left side of the truck I believe
Thanks Stephen, I had a funny feeling i was going to have to brucify it!! I worked in the lift industry as a fitter for awhile, many things sometimes need to get done to make stuff work, I'm not adverse to adapting!! lol
Cheers again for the reply with the answer I needed, funny I asked a few shops and different places, nobody came back with any reply!!

Thanks Stephen, I had a funny feeling i was going to have to brucify it!! I worked in the lift industry as a fitter for awhile, many things sometimes need to get done to make stuff work, I'm not adverse to adapting!! lol
Cheers again for the reply with the answer I needed, funny I asked a few shops and different places, nobody came back with any reply!!
I'm really trying to find where I saw it because I swear I saw someone do it lol. But just to clarify I believe it was the stock motor mount he was using, just flipped. But yeah my 2 hobby shops aren't very creative either I figured that out after I joined this forum

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back