Anyone running 1/5 scale GRPs on a Kraton or Talion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HZRDOS

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Outcast EXB
  4. Talion EXB
Anyone?

With my newest addition of the Infraction - my new goal is to build a rig almost as fast as the Infraction, but taller. Thinking Kraton or Kraton XL build with Mojave chassis.

I think the key is the tires. Too big and it will just want to wheelie. First thought was 2.8MT tires - but pavement running will just kill them quick and they will just fishtail and not handle worth a crap. Also high speed will just kill them.

And before you say it - I do not want to build a street typhon. I want it to be a larger rig, 80mph, but key is QUICK to get up to speed.

I know that Just Bash It makes the square adapters for the GRP 1/5 scales. But before I drop the coin on them and the tires (will be about $160 for all), wanted to know if anyone has done this yet, and get your thoughts.

Also open to suggestions on how to get to this 1/8 or 1/7 scale size, hard accelerating rig. Maybe a low street wheelie bar is also needed?

It’s a great look with the 1/5 scale gpr’s, but the tires won’t hold up at high speeds above 100mph I believe, I ran them on my typhon 6s and it was cool af looking. And went 85mph basically stock, but I crashed it the second time out lol
77DB8DC6-6D4D-44E7-9F31-8DD5169FBE8F.jpeg

^^^ what wheels are those???
1/5 GRP's???

Anyone?

With my newest addition of the Infraction - my new goal is to build a rig almost as fast as the Infraction, but taller. Thinking Kraton or Kraton XL build with Mojave chassis.

I think the key is the tires. Too big and it will just want to wheelie. First thought was 2.8MT tires - but pavement running will just kill them quick and they will just fishtail and not handle worth a crap. Also high speed will just kill them.

And before you say it - I do not want to build a street typhon. I want it to be a larger rig, 80mph, but key is QUICK to get up to speed.

I know that Just Bash It makes the square adapters for the GRP 1/5 scales. But before I drop the coin on them and the tires (will be about $160 for all), wanted to know if anyone has done this yet, and get your thoughts.

Also open to suggestions on how to get to this 1/8 or 1/7 scale size, hard accelerating rig. Maybe a low street wheelie bar is also needed?
For your purposes/speed objective, I would consider 17mm hub Sweep racing Terrain Crushers instead.
I have them and they are great for 70+ mph speeds. No ballooning. Belting is superb. On dirt and grass they suck. So they are not really all-terrain.
But awesome on Pavement. (y) And won't require the $1/5 24mm squared axles$.
I run them on my Custom build XLWB Mojo chassis/ Kraton arms. Modded Lim body.

1664985328525.png

This is an old pix.
I recently added a raised 1/5 OC wing and lowered the front bumper considerably. I also slammed the chassis lower. Seems more stable now. But Turning radius did take a hit. I haven't checked my speeds yet. Very tall gearing with stock Arrma 6s electrics. This was a parts bin build. Built from take-off parts I had lying around.
I still need to update this build thread.:rolleyes:

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/1-6-typhon-from-my-take-off-parts-bin.32988/

Last edited:
I didn't do it on a kraton but I have 1/5 grps on my mojave and they're a real blast. I've yet to remove them since putting them on. I don't remember what compound I have but they have zero grip and it's fun. Wifey loves it.

I'd also consider the methodrc sc tires. They're 139mm diameter and amazing on road. Lighter than 1/5 grps and terrain crushers.

Talion with methodrc sc tires

I didn't do it on a kraton but I have 1/5 grps on my mojave and they're a real blast. I've yet to remove them since putting them on. I don't remember what compound I have but they have zero grip and it's fun. Wifey loves it.

I'd also consider the methodrc sc tires. They're 139mm diameter and amazing on road. Lighter than 1/5 grps and terrain crushers.

Talion with methodrc sc tires
Xp3 warm an xp1 have amazing grip

For your purposes/speed objective, I would consider 17mm hub Sweep racing Terrain Crushers instead.
I have them and they are great for 70+ mph speeds. No ballooning. Belting is superb. On dirt and grass they suck. So they are not really all-terrain.
But awesome on Pavement. (y) And won't require the $1/5 24mm squared axles$.
I run them on my Custom build XLWB Mojo chassis/ Kraton arms. Modded Lim body.

View attachment 248096
This is an old pix.
I recently added a raised 1/5 OC wing and lowered the front bumper considerably. I also slammed the chassis lower. Seems more stable now. But Turning radius did take a hit. I haven't checked my speeds yet. Very tall gearing with stock Arrma 6s electrics. This was a parts bin build. Built from take-off parts I had lying around.
I still need to update this build thread.:rolleyes:

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/1-6-typhon-from-my-take-off-parts-bin.32988/
+1 on this.
For the speed desired around 70-80 @HZRDOS I believe Sweep tires will be your best option as they are a direct fit (17mm hex) and sized like the 1/5 road tires. Also speed rating they handle those 70-80 speeds well.

1664990723447.png

They have a few different tread types.
If you like the slick racing tire look the VHT model is the one

1664990797365.png

As someone who has both SRC road crushers and MethodRC SC tires I'd pick the methodRC tires over the SRC tires every single time. Each SRC road crusher is about 100 grams heavier in comparison. That is a lot of extra weight and they're only 3mm larger in diameter. My rig runs noticeably hotter with the SRC tires and the methodRC tires improved handling.

As someone who has both SRC road crushers and MethodRC SC tires I'd pick the methodRC tires over the SRC tires every single time. Each SRC road crusher is about 100 grams heavier in comparison. That is a lot of extra weight and they're only 3mm larger in diameter. My rig runs noticeably hotter with the SRC tires and the methodRC tires improved handling.

I could see that for performance reasons, but the SRC looks better IMHO.

I could see that for performance reasons, but the SRC looks better IMHO.
I have the Method RC tires on my Monster Buggy build. I like them for that. I know they will not have the traction I want on the street for a large 1/8 sscale rig. Also the handling will not be there - they will want to roll the sidewalls too much.

And agree with the looks. They will look pretty dumb on a large rig like a Kraton XL.

1664997017039.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back